Newbie question: what is included in price, and can we take beer onboard?

rnforcollegefees

First cruise! husband, me, two teenage boys--just wondering what is offered as part of cruise fare: soda? beer? Not sure what we should expect to pay out of pocket for those? I'm getting up to speed on food choices, what is/is not included. Are there bracelets on the Ruby to buy for soda for the week? beer?

thanks!

First cruise! husband, me, two teenage boys--just wondering what is offered as part of cruise fare: soda? beer? Not sure what we should expect to pay out of pocket for those? I'm getting up to speed on food choices, what is/is not included. Are there bracelets on the Ruby to buy for soda for the week? beer?

thanks!

Soda or beer is not included in your cruise fare. You can purchase an unlimited fountain soda package for $4.25 per day per person times the number of days of your cruise for each boy. Or you can purchase the ultimate drink sticker that includes soda, mocktails, milkshakes etc. for $9.00 pp per day for them (again, multiply by the number of days of your cruise). Each has an automatic 15% grautity added to the price when purchased.

As for beer, no unlimited beer package onboard, sorry.

Yes, you can bring beer onboard. We just did it again.

The patters now state that in port any alcohol will be collected with the exception of wine, champagne and beer!

When did they add beer to that wine and champagne list? Beer, although many have found ways to carry it onboard, has never been actually allowed by the cruise line, and definitely not posted in the Princess patter. When did this change? I am very surprised that this is the first time I have seen this addition posted, I wonder if someone printing the patters had a bit of a misprint?

When did they add beer to that wine and champagne list? Beer, although many have found ways to carry it onboard, has never been actually allowed by the cruise line, and definitely not posted in the Princess patter. When did this change? I am very surprised that this is the first time I have seen this addition posted, I wonder if someone printing the patters had a bit of a misprint?

I was surprised to see it as well. I did inquire about it and was told that it was indeed true.

I'm trying to figure out how to scan the page of the patter so I can post it on here.

I was surprised to see it as well. I did inquire about it and was told that it was indeed true.

I'm trying to figure out how to scan the page of the patter so I can post it on here.

We will have to watch for the mention of this in the Princess Patters on our next cruise and see if this was just a trial thing or if it's fleet wide. ;) I would guess if it is a change fleet wide, that it might stay until some pasengers try loading up cases to be brought onboard, then it won't be around long. Each time the cruise line seems to give an inch, a bunch will try to take a mile and Poof, no longer allowed. We will see how long this one lasts.

For the life of me, I have no idea how to post this scan. I have a Mac.

For now here is what is in the patter:

LIQUOR PURCHASED ASHORE

We wish to remind you that alcohol (excluding champagne, wine & beer) purchased in any port of call will be collected for safe keeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your cruise. A member of our ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your alcoholic beverage purchases. Alternatively, duty-free liquor can be pre-ordered from our gift-shops throughout your cruise, and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the cruise after 10:00 am.

We will have to watch for the mention of this in the Princess Patters on our next cruise and see if this was just a trial thing or if it's fleet wide. ;) I would guess if it is a change fleet wide, that it might stay until some pasengers try loading up cases to be brought onboard, then it won't be around long. Each time the cruise line seems to give an inch, a bunch will try to take a mile and Poof, no longer allowed. We will see how long this one lasts.

Hey, I'm just glad they didn't take my wine. You can take my beer, but not the red wine!!!

We have always brought beer onboard, at each port we buy a 6 pack and never had a problem.

Oh, I have seen this too, many times. But it is because Princess doesn't usually enforce their own rules. But except for Wine and Champagne, any other alcohol was not supposed to be carried on (notice those words 'not supposed to be'). lol It doesn't mean that many didn't get away with it, but by their own rules, it is something they can confiscate if they feel like it. ;)

Cjskids... What ship were you on? Ruby Patters posted recently doesn't say beer (only wine) I'm hoping you were on the CB... Lol

Crown Princess.

We've brought beer with us on every sailing, both at embarkation and at various ports and we never had an issue. We even did it out of Southampton!

This is so strange, as Pia recently posted that on their port visit in Honolulu, Princess was even enforcing that one bottle of wine per person (old rule) and that was all they were allowing. I am going to guess again, as I said previously, I would bet this printed in the Patter is a test of some sort to see how it works. Especially since nobody else has mentioned it on other ships. ;)

This is so strange, as Pia recently posted that on their port visit in Honolulu, Princess was even enforcing that one bottle of wine per person (old rule) and that was all they were allowing. I am going to guess again, as I said previously, I would bet this printed in the Patter is a test of some sort to see how it works. Especially since nobody else has mentioned it on other ships. ;)

Either a test or a misprint, but it definitely isn't in my patters from the Diamond this summer. I'll be back on the Diamond again in about two months, have to check again then. Everything in my "recent" patters from that sailing and on the Princess website still refers only to wine and champagne. And to those that have stated that they do carry on beer, bringing beer onboard is similar to the dress suggestion discussions that pop up regularly. You can do it because Princess doesn't bother to enforce their own policy.

Yes, you can bring beer onboard. We just did it again.

The patters now state that in port any alcohol will be collected with the exception of wine, champagne and beer!

The Ruby Patters from Nov 7-13/10 (found them posted on here somewhere) still stated only wine is permitted. Darn! I hope they change it on all their ships :)

Archived