Warning!!!! Trunk bay

smitty3000

We just went to Trunk Bay last week and there was a red flag warning.

I know it has probably been mentioned many times on this board but

I missed it or at least did not pay attention. Wanted to pass this on to people heading over to Trunk Bay off their cruise. Check to see if there is a red flag warning before you make the trip over there. It is a beautiful place but we were only able to walk down a slight hill, look at it and then leave.

The life guard told us not to even walk along the beach because we could

get swept in. He said that whole side of the island is that way when

there is a red flag. I spent around $50 pp with ferry's, and taxis so we could swim and snorklel and I wasted my money. I am not complaining about Trunk Bay. It is a absolutely beautiful place and I intend on trying to go there when we get back to St Thomas. Maybe someone could post on how you can find out if there is a red flag on that specific day you are there. I am thinking that the services desk on the ship might know since the ship has excursions going to that area. Once again, I am not complaining just wanting to warn people so they can have a backup plan. I wound up shopping in the rain and was very disappointed. The ferry was fun over to the island though. Hope this info helps.:)

Oh man, that stinks!!! I wonder if the cruise ship would have any information regarding this so the next person doesn't waste their money like that?

We did Trunk Bay on one of our trips and I'd love to go back. Has anyone recently been there?

We just went to Trunk Bay last week and there was a red flag warning.

I know it has probably been mentioned many times on this board but

I missed it or at least did not pay attention. Wanted to pass this on to people heading over to Trunk Bay off their cruise. Check to see if there is a red flag warning before you make the trip over there. It is a beautiful place but we were only able to walk down a slight hill, look at it and then leave.

The life guard told us not to even walk along the beach because we could

get swept in. He said that whole side of the island is that way when

there is a red flag. I spent around $50 pp with ferry's, and taxis so we could swim and snorklel and I wasted my money. I am not complaining about Trunk Bay. It is a absolutely beautiful place and I intend on trying to go there when we get back to St Thomas. Maybe someone could post on how you can find out if there is a red flag on that specific day you are there. I am thinking that the services desk on the ship might know since the ship has excursions going to that area. Once again, I am not complaining just wanting to warn people so they can have a backup plan. I wound up shopping in the rain and was very disappointed. The ferry was fun over to the island though. Hope this info helps.:)

Thank you for posting this comment. We are heading over there on Sunday and the forecast calls for showers at most of the islands we'll visit next week. I will definately check on the "red flag" condition before heading to St. John's Sunday!

We just returned from the southern caribbean last week and it seemed that EVERYWHERE was a disaster with Tomas and the other tropical depression. All water activities in Aruba was cancelled, rough waters and horrible visibility. We were told that the beach on Klein Bonaire was gone for a day or two. We always do a private sale from St. Thomas to St. John which is a pleasure, but this time the visibility for snorkeling was far less than usual.

Too bad you weren't aware of the "red flag". It costs so much in time and money to get there. Our taxi alone to Red Hook was $11 per person....one way!

We were on the AOS last December and the same thing happened to us: However, Royal Caribbean did not alert anybody to the Red Flag warning and neither did anybody at the ferry landing in Cruz Bay. We got to Trunk Bay - No swimming or snorkeling that day either. The park guide said to always ask before heading out to any of the beaches on St. Johns. So, I would also suggest: Always have a back up plan such as Caneel Bay (calmer, usually not affected by storm surge, quite pretty, and very close to Trunk Bay). St. John's is worth visiting just for the sheer natural beauty of the island.

I will definetly try to go there again if we get back to St. Thomas. It was

truly a beautiful place, at least what I saw of it. I just did not even think about the Red Flag Warning and of course the cab driver was not going to mention it.

When we went to Tortola a couple of days later we were going to do the

Baths on our own so I waited to see if the cruise ship cancelled their shore excursion there and sure enough they did so that saved me the ferry cost over there. These boards are quite helpful for info. I wished

I would have paid more attention.:rolleyes: Oh well, live and learn. Glad this

info can help others.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that Caneel Bay is a good backup plan if Trunk Bay is too choppy. We ended up there after trying several other snorkeling locations on the island and really liked it—calm enough to snorkel and a short walk to Honeymoon Beach where we were the only two there.

Trunk Bay is nice, but what most people don't tell you is that the reef for the famious snorkling trail is mostly dead. The view is nice, but I would suggest another beach. Try Caneel, Hawksnest, or Cinnamon Bay. Maho Bay is nice too and the snorkling at Waterlemon Cay is pretty good and easily accessable from the beach at Watermelon Bay. Gibney Beach and Denis Bay are also nice.

Scott

The national park has a office with a phone number for Trunk Bay, or at least the USVI Park Office. After a similar experiance at Trunk Bay with high waves we called ahead on our next trip but couldn't get a hold of anyone until we were on the ferry - but it is worth a try. At least you can decide to go to a different beach when you get to St. John if you find out conditions at Trunk are poor.

On more recent trips we've done one of the private day-sails discussed on these boards. The captains know the conditions and know what beaches will have good conditions when the water and currents are rough in other areas. They'll find a good spot as long as the weather isn't stormy everywhere.

• 1 month later...
So, if we cut to the heart of this thread it simply says if you choose to cruise in the Caribbean during hurricane season you run a risk of bad weather, high seas, etc.

Hank

I think it goes beyond that. There is always a chance for seas rough enough to make Trunk Bay a bad place anytime if the winds and currents are coming in from a certain direction. When this occurs on an otherwise nice day there there will be other spots facing other directions where conditions are great. Our first experiance on this was on a cruise in March (2003). Since the trip to Trunk Bay is a long one it pays to have a way to check conditions (see my post above) or to have a backup plan.

Trunk bay conditions are fantastic most of the time and the area is known for silk smooth waters. The one time we had an issue the cab driver stopped at the usual photo site above Trunk Bay and told us we couldn't go down due to the conditions especially since the waves could push you into the coral. The waves were running up the entire beach and into the treeline at the back. He dropped us off at Cinnamon Bay where we saw people surfing! We couldn't even sit on the beach as the entire sand area was wet. I was a bit disappointed the cab drivers didn't tell us about this before they drove us over since they clearly knew the conditions - might have been nice if they offered some alternative but they did not. When we returned to the ship we met others who had fantastic times in beach spots on other areas of St. Thomas and St. John - so it can be very direction specific.

Photos click here

On a trip there last March we were on a day-sail that normally goes to a spot not far from Trunk Bay. About half way there the Captain pointed out waves hitting some rocks ahead of us and told us conditions there would be poor at best. So we sailed to another spot in a different area and we had a fantastic day sailing and swimming.

I think it goes beyond that. There is always a chance for seas rough enough to make Trunk Bay a bad place anytime if the winds and currents are coming in from a certain direction. When this occurs on an otherwise nice day there there will be other spots facing other directions where conditions are great. Our first experiance on this was on a cruise in March (2003). Since the trip to Trunk Bay is a long one it pays to have a way to check conditions (see my post above) or to have a backup plan.

Trunk bay conditions are fantastic most of the time and the area is known for silk smooth waters. The one time we had an issue the cab driver stopped at the usual photo site above Trunk Bay and told us we couldn't go down due to the conditions especially since the waves could push you into the coral. The waves were running up the entire beach and into the treeline at the back. He dropped us off at Cinnamon Bay where we saw people surfing! We couldn't even sit on the beach as the entire sand area was wet. I was a bit disappointed the cab drivers didn't tell us about this before they drove us over since they clearly knew the conditions - might have been nice if they offered some alternative but they did not. When we returned to the ship we met others who had fantastic times in beach spots on other areas of St. Thomas and St. John - so it can be very direction specific.

Photos click here

On a trip there last March we were on a day-sail that normally goes to a spot not far from Trunk Bay. About half way there the Captain pointed out waves hitting some rocks ahead of us and told us conditions there would be poor at best. So we sailed to another spot in a different area and we had a fantastic day sailing and swimming.

Thanks for the heads up. We are travelling there on our cruise the end of February. Which company did you use of the day sail? How much was it? Was the trip / company worth it? We are in port from 10-6 will that give us lots of time to go to St Johns? Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers

Helen

Thanks for the heads up. We are travelling there on our cruise the end of February. Which company did you use of the day sail? How much was it? Was the trip / company worth it? We are in port from 10-6 will that give us lots of time to go to St Johns? Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers

Helen

I've used Rumbaba and another company. The day sail excursions are fantastic! There are several operators which offer a similar experiance. Here is a tread discussing some of them: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1267122

10-6 is a little short. You can get to St. John but the trip takes a while. If you're off the ship by about 15 or 20 after the hour you can catch the Red Hook Ferry that leaves on the hour. Probably get to a beach in St. John 40 or 45 minutes later. Figure a couple hours return time and take the next to last ferry back that will work for you (leave the last one that works as your "just in case" ride).

• 2 months later...
So, if we cut to the heart of this thread it simply says if you choose to cruise in the Caribbean during hurricane season you run a risk of bad weather, high seas, etc.

Hank

The reason I posted this thread is merely to warn people to make sure there is not a Red Flag Warning at Trunk Bay the day you are there. This is not only during hurricane season this can be anytime even though it is more prone to happen during hurricane season according to the lifeguard who was there. Just thought I would mention it to save people some money and time. I fully intend on going back there probably this fall and try again. From what I saw it was an absolutely beautiful place.:)

Archived