Best sunblock for baby

audekat

When doing a beach day or even just up on deck I know the sun will be intense. What is the best sunblock you have found for babies/young tots?

Easy to apply?

Good for mommy too?

Spray on, or lotion?

How often do you reapply?

Many sunblocks are NOT approved for infants...ask your pediatrician.....the BEST thing is NOT to put them in the sun at all!

If you do find one approved for babies, re-apply every 2 hours...and follow the directions explicitly....most folks don't use NEAR enough to actually protect them.

Like CB said, most sunblocks aren't safe for babies under 6 months old. I plan on buying California Baby sunblock for our 8 month old. (Available at Target, but it's very pricey...buy something else for the adults.) We don't plan on having her out in the sun, but I'm sure there might be a some instances where a few minutes of exposure is unavoidable.

Audekat; we leave in 17 days for our trip and we'll be using the

AVENO - BABY/CHILDREN sunblock (SPF45 in a lotion)

We used it all summer long and just made sure to re-apply every 2 hrs and after water time. It goes on pretty easy and not greasy at all on my daughters skin.

Now they do have a spray one that smells really good and the DR said it has fine for after 6 months, but I prefer using cream to make sure I get every area.

So this is what worked for us, hope you find something you like and have fun on the trip.

My son's dermatologist recommends Neutrogena Ultra Sheer, and he says definitely reapply any time the baby does something that could rub it off (crawling in sand, swimming, etc) or every couple hours.

Most sunblocks are safe for infants 6 months and older. They recommend keeping baby out of the sun before then.

The safest thing to use on a baby is something that doesn't absorb into their skin. These are typically products that contain zinc or titanium. We use California Baby, and here's a list of the most safe products:

http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/best-beach-sport-sunscreens/

Having said that, the best thing to do is use clothing with UV protection. They have rash guards, bathing suits, hats, etc. that are all SPF 50 and higher. We use these garments, and then apply the sunblock to the areas that are still exposed (like face, ears, hands, feet, etc.).

The safest thing to use on a baby is something that doesn't absorb into their skin. These are typically products that contain zinc or titanium. We use California Baby, and here's a list of the most safe products:

http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/best-beach-sport-sunscreens/

Having said that, the best thing to do is use clothing with UV protection. They have rash guards, bathing suits, hats, etc. that are all SPF 50 and higher. We use these garments, and then apply the sunblock to the areas that are still exposed (like face, ears, hands, feet, etc.).

I use all of the California Baby products on my daughter. I like their Super Sensitive line. Yes, a little pricey, but worth it to us. We also plan on using their sun block on our up coming cruise.

Archived