Diabetic and snorkling

Smart 4-2

I notice that some snorkel trips (HAL E Caribbean) won't take on diabetic cruisers. They lump us in with folks with heart conditions. Anyone heard of this? I know there are fit and athletic diabetics out there who would want to snorkel.

I am a beginner and probably just want to walk in and stay in shallow water.

You know better than anyone how your diabeties effects you. The tour groups are just covering their butts, by lumping all diabetics together. If you can swim, are comfortable in water and of course have your blood suger under control, you should be fine with most cruise ship tours.

Just take care of yourself, do a shore snorkel first to make sure you feel ok with the equipment and maybe opt for a snorkel vest and a good buddy who know what you would need if you got into trouble.

Jump in and have fun it is a great sport and a lot more fun than shopping in St Thomas. :D

P.S. I am not a doctor, but watched one on the Love Boat when I was a kid.

I have type 2 diabetes controlled by oral medication.My condition does not stop me from doing deep,technical, solo dives.My doctor is a diver and while he does think some of my deep stuff is a little stupid,he sees no reason why my diabetes should stop me from enjoying a sport I love.Talk to your doctor and get his approval.I don't see why you can't snorkel as long as you are not subject to blackouts are seizures. Make sure you wear a snorkel vest for safety and enjoy the beautiful world of the ocean.

Thank you Island Bear and Dive Master,

My snorkel skills at present would be best kept to the shallows. Maybe when I am fitter--- right now I'd hold up the group and might have trouble climbing into a boat.

I was just surprised to see all diabetics lumped into one group and "barred" from a sport by some operators.

Our son is 16 and has had type 1 for 6 years. He does snorkel and we watch him and check blood sugar often. Typically he needs about 40-50 carbs every 45 minutes in the water. We bring juice boxes, fruit snacks, skittles, and other candy. Real Coke also works.

We also always bring his glucagon when we get off the ship.

Our son is 16 and has had type 1 for 6 years. He does snorkel and we watch him and check blood sugar often. Typically he needs about 40-50 carbs every 45 minutes in the water. We bring juice boxes, fruit snacks, skittles, and other candy. Real Coke also works.

We also always bring his glucagon when we get off the ship.

My DH is Type 1 and has been for over 40 years...Swimming is probably the exercise that brings his sugar count down the fastest. In our experience it works better to eat protein combined with something sweet because the protein will stay with him longer and the sweet will only gieve him an instant high then will go back down pretty fast. So combining the protein keeps it more level instead of the fast high all the sweets give!

My DH is Type 1 and has been for over 40 years...Swimming is probably the exercise that brings his sugar count down the fastest. In our experience it works better to eat protein combined with something sweet because the protein will stay with him longer and the sweet will only gieve him an instant high then will go back down pretty fast. So combining the protein keeps it more level instead of the fast high all the sweets give!

I agree strongly with the above advice, and I also understand the fear of the tour operators.

I have twice been on excursions when a person has NOT had suger in control, and the operator has had to work fast.

One operator put it this way, if you are in control, and prepared, no problem, it is the those that are not that cause panic,

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 12 years old. I too have found that swimming is one activity that can bring your blood sugar level down very fast. However if you have your diabetes under good control then you shouldn't have a problem, but you know better then anyone else how your body will react. However when I was in Costa Maya, I informed the tour operator that I have type 1 diabetes, and I was not allowed to go on the snorkling tour. I was upset at the time however I very much understand the reason for this. My diabetes is very under control, in fact typically my A1C is better then most people without diabetes. But as most diabetics know, a low is always around the corner, you always have to be smart about it. Know your limits.

Archived