Pied Piper - Celebrity Eclipse Post-Thanksgiving Nov 26, 2011 11/26/11

Chill&Will

I recently booked this trip for myself and my spouse. We're excited. We haven't picked a Miami hotel yet, but we'll likely only be there for that Friday afternoon and evening before we sail on Saturday.

Are any of you hoping to go diving while we're at any of the ports?

I have booked at at condo hotel called fortune house. Very very nice place. And reasonable price.. Google them.

Ray

I have sailed solo many times in the past and have never found it hard to make friends. Sure there are some couples that like to stay to themselves but most are very open and by this being a Pied Piper cruise there well may be a thousand of us. My advise is be careful or you may be trampled!!!

Robert

Ray

I have sailed solo many times in the past and have never found it hard to make friends. Sure there are some couples that like to stay to themselves but most are very open and by this being a Pied Piper cruise there well may be a thousand of us. My advise is be careful or you may be trampled!!!

Robert

Robert is right, Ray. This is my 3rd Pied Piper going solo...never had a dull moment. Details later...anyway, had to catch up on sleep when I got home. Qasar will have at least 5 really good nights till closing and the pool area on sea days are fun. A few of us solos should have dinner together one night in a specialty restaurant.

Joe

I am very anxious to meet you and discuss face to face your thoughts about Atlantis cruises. Obviously you enjoyed them very much or you would not hae taken so many. It is very confusing when one person states that it a "floating bathouse" and another says it is nothing like that. I sure hope we connect on the Eclipse so you can give me your opinions.

Robert

Joe

I am very anxious to meet you and discuss face to face your thoughts about Atlantis cruises. Obviously you enjoyed them very much or you would not hae taken so many. It is very confusing when one person states that it a "floating bathouse" and another says it is nothing like that. I sure hope we connect on the Eclipse so you can give me your opinions.

Robert

I've done 3 Atlantis Trips and they were very well organized. the entertainment was non-stop. However the vibe, in my opinion was geared toward the circuit crowd. There were all types of people on the ship.

The afternoon theme parties were fun, I did enjoy Atlantis' attempt to bring in headliners. (my favorite was Charo, Pattie laPone).

Right now, I think Atlantis has "jumped" the shark booking the Allure size ships. -- I have friends that liked that much of a crowd, but personally, it's a bit overwhelming. Also, looking at Atlantis' site. They only have 2 cruises on their books right now. I am ready for some new experiences --

Robert-

NCRay's reply is right on target. Atlantis cruises and resort trips are extremely well produced. The main party cruises (January/October) are major circuit party events. Even the "destination" cruises (Rio, Mediterranean, etc.) have pretty much the same entertainment and overall feel but the parties end earlier since the ship will be stopping at a major wonder of the world the next day.

Since I love the music, DJ's, lights, lasers, and partying on the top deck -- till dawn for White Party -- those cruises have been a lot of fun for me and I'm sure I'll do them again from time to time. But after 16 of them plus 5 Atlantis resort trips, they have become very repetitive for me and I want to do something new. Not to mention that I'm well into AARP territory now and don't enjoy the all night partying as much as I used to!

I was on the 2011 Atlantis Allure cruise and though lots of guys had a great time, it was way too intense for me. The many thousands of guys cramming in to every party was overwhelming. I had a number of friends on-board that I never saw due to the size of the ship. I loved the ship but hated the cruise.

Of course Atlantis still runs the small 3,000-ish person cruises too, which are more my preference. BTW, when did 3,000 become small?

And my experience is that it's not a floating bath house at all -- especially not at the times when you're surrounded by a stunningly hot crowd and wish it was! That's not to say that you don't see party costumes with lots of skin showing and late night hot tubs that are a bit frisky. But for the most part, it's just your usual, slightly over the top crowd of gay guys having a good time.

I'm thinking that Pied Piper will be a good "hybrid" cruise with some of the best of both worlds: more relaxing, less intense and a good opportunity to meet new friends that I'll see more than once over the course of the cruise.

I'm really excited about the Eclipse as well. I lucked out and got one of the "bump-out" 1a balcony rooms on Deck 7 with a huge balcony. I can't wait!

-Joe

Ray and Joe

Thanks for you input on Atlantis cruises. I found it very helpful.

Joe, I have often heard the term "circut party" but I have never really known what it meant. You said the parties go on until dawn and I know I could never do that as I am always in bed no later then one. I am an early riser and no matter how late I stay up I awake early.

Once on a transatlantic cruise a bunch of us stayed up all night hoping to see Gibralter as we passed but we never did so we went into a hot tub and sang show tunes. It was very funny and a few of the cleaning staff gave us peculiar looks. That is the extent of my partying until the wee hours of the morning.

And as far as Atlantis goes if guys are not having sex in the halls well then I am just not going. Seriously, I think Pied Piper will be a better fit for us

Your AARP friend

Robert

Hi, Fellow Cruisers!

Today, just booked this cruise through Pied Piper.

My 5th Celebrity cruise, but first with Pied Piper. I've heard nothing but great things about Pied Piper and hoping to meet some new friends.

The Solstice Class ships are fantastic!

I'm solo and in Aqua Class.

Thanks to all of you that posted comments about RSVP/Atlantis. Your comments are interesting and very much appreciated.

I'm sure I'll drop in on the main Roll Call board.

Has anyone signed up for the Celebrity Cruise Critic Connection get together? Maybe with all that Pied Piper has going on, it won't be a big draw with us?

Rick

Hi Rick. Welcome!

I'm solo in Aqua class as well. Glad to know there are others flying solo in AQ. Was thinking this was geared toward mostly couples.

Starting to count the days!!

Hi, Ray!

Thanks for the nice welcome! Happy to know another single man on board. Given the law of large numbers, we know there must be others!

Ya know, I think all cruising is geared towards couples, hence the darn single supplement.

I think you'll like AQ, though, especially Blu.

Celebrity is great! Now coupled with Pied Piper, this is going to be something different!

I'm also looking forward to some total relaxation! If you happen to drink, you should consider one of the drink packages - they're a great deal.

Rick

Hello All

Have you heard Celebrity is raising the charge for specialty restaurants and if you want to book at the current rate you must do so by Sept. 1st.

Robert

They are raising prices on a lot of things this year. The drink packages went up a few months ago.

My bf and I just booked this cruise... We're both probably a little younger than the average crowd, but reading through the posts, it sounds like it will be a blast. It'll be my 6th cruise and my bf's first. I've never done a PP cruise before though...

Welcome aboard Jay

For many of us this will be a first time with Pied Piper. And for many it will be a return experience. That speaks very well for Pied Piper. How wonderful that this is your boyfriends first cruise. I am sure we all will have a great cruise.

Robert

Hi, Robert...

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only first time Pied Piper cruiser.

Ray, Jay and I (and possibly others I have failed to mention) will be getting our feet wet together on this Pied Piper cruise.

This should be interesting.

The main Roll Call doesn't appear very active - including this one!

Counting the days!

Rick

Hi Rick

This question is for you or anyone else. Are you going to purchase a drink package and if so which one? I have always stuck to gin and tonic and it was less then $8 but I see the specialty martinis in the martini bar are more then $8. Any advise?

Robert

Hi, Robert

I've already purchased the Premium Beverage Package. I've done the same thing on my past two Celebrity cruises.

I'm not a heavy drinker, but on any vacation I tend to drink more than usual. Some of the packages also include all the speciality coffee drinks, too.

From my past experience, the cost of the Premium Package has been less than what I would normally spend, so only makes sense to purchase.

Rick

I normally don't drink all that much, but the Premium package is looking good to me. I primarily drink premium gin martini's and premium scotch -- definitely in the over $8 range. The drinks at the Molecular Bar, all of which are over $8, look intriguing. Normally I turn down the daily "umbrella drink special" but with the package, I'd try them. I read elsewhere that some people with packages do wine pairings with dinner and that sounds like a good idea. And I go through lots of bottled water.

I'm not sure I'd break even, but I'd come close and I think the reduced hassle and the ability to splurge a bit would make it worth it.

Thanks guys.... So what sort of shore excursions does Pied Piper usually put on? And what sort of special activities have they had on this cruise in the past? I've done the two extremes of regular cruises and Atlantis cruises, so I'm hoping/assuming PP is more in the middle?

Thanks Rick and Joe for your input on the drink packages. I think I will splurge and get the Premium Package. I have never purchased a drink package so this will be a new experience and I will have to try the $12 martinis. It says you can also order fresh squeezed juice and I hadn't thought about taking bottled water into the ports.

Jay, I am a Pied Piper virgin but I have read that there will probably be a beach excursion on St. Marteen. Other then that I have heard nothing. I just received an email from Pied Piper that we will receive the excursion information the end of Sept.

ANTICIPATION!!!!!!

Robert

Thanks guys.... So what sort of shore excursions does Pied Piper usually put on? And what sort of special activities have they had on this cruise in the past? I've done the two extremes of regular cruises and Atlantis cruises, so I'm hoping/assuming PP is more in the middle?

PP does at least 2 excursions at each stop. They should come out in the mail this month. Also, they have a themed party one night, usually a comedian another night, games on other nights, and of course socials a few times. The events vary by the cruise.

Hi, Robert...

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only first time Pied Piper cruiser.

Ray, Jay and I (and possibly others I have failed to mention) will be getting our feet wet together on this Pied Piper cruise.

This should be interesting.

The main Roll Call doesn't appear very active - including this one!

Counting the days!

Rick

Rick

PP will come out with a private group, (usually on Yahoo) a few months before the cruise. That one will be pretty active. A lot of people do not know about cruise critic

Archived