Pied Piper - Celebrity Eclipse Post-Thanksgiving Nov 26, 2011 11/26/11

Chill&Will

It does sound like a lot of fun. Do you know what port their going to have the beach party in?

Daniel

I would venture to guess that it will be at Orient Beach, the last three or so have been there when sailing the Eastern Caribbean.

Also in a previous post I spoke about the activities for Pied Piper. I forgot to mention that for the past several years PP has also brought on entertainment... Last year was Jason Stewart. He was awesome!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Potential cruisers for this trip. We're RSVP alumni, used to the gay vibe, though NOT Atlantis party-types. We missed our Feb cruise b/c we did RSVP Hawaii last November and had planned on RSVP Med this summer. We felt Feb cruise would just be too much on the pocketbook, but...a real estate opportunity came up so we cancelled Med anyway. Another RSVP buddy suggested this cruise and since I hit the big 5-0 December 2nd, why the hell not? We're thinking we may like the "semi-gay, but not over-the-top" atmosphere. Are we off base? We like the idea that there are some Pied Piper activities. We don't even hit all the activities on the RSVP cruise. And I think cruise ships have night clubs just for us, because I've never seen anyone else fill them up like we do.:D

We've hit all the ports before (Bill missed St. Martin, I was solo on that trip) so a port day can be a great ship day for us. However, a beach party on St. Martin would be great! Never been on Celebrity, so that is also a huge draw for us. And the fares are very, very enticing.

Which brings up another question: Seating times. Our last few cruises were on Holland America and we chose late seating (we usually do) but HAL started "As You Wish" for anytime dining (as Princess did several years earlier.) Generally the ship "goes with the flow" since it's one entire charter. So-does Pied Piper have only one dining time, since they have their own section of the dining room? What is Celebrity's dinner set-up?

I guess we're thinking this is almost like a really toned down RSVP. Our first two cruises were mainstream on Princess and we really enjoyed those. And we have lots of regular friends on RSVP and we'll see them again in Feb. But also hoping to meet all of you on Pied Piper. We've met so many great people from all over. And another cruise that we weren't expecting! Awesome!:)

P.S. I've got my eye on that 2012 Greek Isles/Turkey cruise.;)

Potential cruisers for this trip. We're RSVP alumni, used to the gay vibe, though NOT Atlantis party-types. We missed our Feb cruise b/c we did RSVP Hawaii last November and had planned on RSVP Med this summer. We felt Feb cruise would just be too much on the pocketbook, but...a real estate opportunity came up so we cancelled Med anyway. Another RSVP buddy suggested this cruise and since I hit the big 5-0 December 2nd, why the hell not? We're thinking we may like the "semi-gay, but not over-the-top" atmosphere. Are we off base? We like the idea that there are some Pied Piper activities. We don't even hit all the activities on the RSVP cruise. And I think cruise ships have night clubs just for us, because I've never seen anyone else fill them up like we do.:D

We've hit all the ports before (Bill missed St. Martin, I was solo on that trip) so a port day can be a great ship day for us. However, a beach party on St. Martin would be great! Never been on Celebrity, so that is also a huge draw for us. And the fares are very, very enticing.

Which brings up another question: Seating times. Our last few cruises were on Holland America and we chose late seating (we usually do) but HAL started "As You Wish" for anytime dining (as Princess did several years earlier.) Generally the ship "goes with the flow" since it's one entire charter. So-does Pied Piper have only one dining time, since they have their own section of the dining room? What is Celebrity's dinner set-up?

I guess we're thinking this is almost like a really toned down RSVP. Our first two cruises were mainstream on Princess and we really enjoyed those. And we have lots of regular friends on RSVP and we'll see them again in Feb. But also hoping to meet all of you on Pied Piper. We've met so many great people from all over. And another cruise that we weren't expecting! Awesome!:)

P.S. I've got my eye on that 2012 Greek Isles/Turkey cruise.;)

Hi Bill and Jim! I thought I would try to answer a few questions for ya. This will be my 6th PPPT cruise and we always have a blast. I can not talk about the difference between a Group cruise such as this one and a RSVP charter, having never done a charter cruise but.....

The groups are groups are amazing. Over the years the Post-Thanksgiving cruise have ranged from 400 to over 1100 passengers for the cruise.

The planned activities are a lot of fun and, IMHO have been very tasteful and well planned over the last few years.

As far as dining options go: Yes Pied Piper does have a large area reserved during the late seatingand we are all in the same area. That being said if you want the early seating, you can request that but I do not think that there is a reserved section during the early seating. If you are considering the Aqua Class rooms, they eat in a seperate dining room also and there is not a reserved area either.

I think that you will enjoy this cruise, since you have stated that you enjoy the RSVP and also the mainstream cruises.

Kyle

Hi Bill and Jim! I thought I would try to answer a few questions for ya. This will be my 6th PPPT cruise and we always have a blast. I can not talk about the difference between a Group cruise such as this one and a RSVP charter, having never done a charter cruise but.....

The groups are groups are amazing. Over the years the Post-Thanksgiving cruise have ranged from 400 to over 1100 passengers for the cruise.

The planned activities are a lot of fun and, IMHO have been very tasteful and well planned over the last few years.

As far as dining options go: Yes Pied Piper does have a large area reserved during the late seatingand we are all in the same area. That being said if you want the early seating, you can request that but I do not think that there is a reserved section during the early seating. If you are considering the Aqua Class rooms, they eat in a seperate dining room also and there is not a reserved area either.

I think that you will enjoy this cruise, since you have stated that you enjoy the RSVP and also the mainstream cruises.

Kyle

Hey Kyle-Thanks for the info! My vacation request has been approved (YAAAAH!) from my regular job, now we just need to line up coverage for our business. Will probably call PP next week to get things rolling. I called Derek and left a message, but Frank said he was only responding to emails right now. We have questions about Miami logistics since we're used to leaving out of FLL. Hoping to speak rather than email.

Also-formal night. Does most of the Pied Piper group participate? We used to drag another bag for formal wear, but we've really gotten beyond that. I understand Atlantis has done away with formal night all together. RSVP still recognizes it. I know this is a heated battle for some people, and before everyone falls on their swords, I just want to say that I still believe in dressing appropriately at the dinner table. T-shirts and jeans with holes (designer or not) are a no-no. But we also work very hard operating a business and maintaining second jobs, so cruising has become a very stress-free, no-brainer vacation option for us. The less I have to bring, the better. I also want to check with Celebrity to see what dining options are available if we choose not to particpate in a full-blown tuxedo formal night.

Hey Kyle-Thanks for the info! My vacation request has been approved (YAAAAH!) from my regular job, now we just need to line up coverage for our business. Will probably call PP next week to get things rolling. I called Derek and left a message, but Frank said he was only responding to emails right now. We have questions about Miami logistics since we're used to leaving out of FLL. Hoping to speak rather than email.

Also-formal night. Does most of the Pied Piper group participate? We used to drag another bag for formal wear, but we've really gotten beyond that. I understand Atlantis has done away with formal night all together. RSVP still recognizes it. I know this is a heated battle for some people, and before everyone falls on their swords, I just want to say that I still believe in dressing appropriately at the dinner table. T-shirts and jeans with holes (designer or not) are a no-no. But we also work very hard operating a business and maintaining second jobs, so cruising has become a very stress-free, no-brainer vacation option for us. The less I have to bring, the better. I also want to check with Celebrity to see what dining options are available if we choose not to particpate in a full-blown tuxedo formal night.

Glad to hear that your time has been approved!!!

Derek is usually very busy and does not take phone calls, however anyone in the office can answer your questions.

As far as FLL vs. MIA for departure it is a little um... well more difficult. Celebrity does a great job at the pier and that is not an issue. What become the issue is where to stay, what to do in MIA. Well we prefer FLL as well! So we stay in FLL, we will be there 3 or 4 days early to enjoy the city. Being from out of town we do rent a car at the FLL airport and then drop it off in downtown MIA the day of the cruise. I am sure that most major car rental companies have locations close to the Port and have a shuttle to the ships. Florida Law makes it illegal for rental car companies to charge extra to drop a rental car off in a different location than where you picked it up at, so no worries about extra fees. This has works for us many times and it is actually VERY simple nce you work out the logistics. (I drop everyone off at the ship with all of our luggage and then go to the car rental location alone, don't have to drag luggage around that way!!!)

As far as formal night goes, a large majority of the Pied Piper Group does participate in the formal night, but not everyone does. As almost everyone says, "It is your vacation, do what you want!!" Some people will find alternative dining options for the formal night, some will just dress as usual and still go to the MDR. Totally up to you and no one will care!

The Eclipse has several alternative dining options to chose from if that is the route that you wish to go.

We choose to go the full monte for formal night, but I hate taking that extra bag also, so we rent our tuxes from CruiseLine Formal wear. They deliver to our room and pick up the day after the last formal, no muss no fuss!! Have rented from them probably 6 times in the past and only had one issue, but they have a tailor on board and it was fixed immediately!

I know that this cruise is still six months away but I am tooooo freaking excited already!!!

Kyle

Thanks Kyle! Great info. Had no idea about that Florida rental law. We have some snowbird cruise buddies in Victoria Park that we stay with and travel with. They're looking to do a family cruise and this might just fit the bill. Of course, if they book, the family will be staying with them, so there goes our bed. But wouldn't mind staying at a FLL B&B either. Something with a nice pool and lots to look at;)

After a VERY brief discussion, the tuxes stay home:D We have plenty of dress slacks and beautiful shirts (big Cubavera fans). I think we'll pass muster.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all...

Does anyone know about the specialty dining on board? This is my first PP cruise so not sure if I should just book a few reservations and hope for the best regarding making new friends and eating with them?

I am traveling solo so I'm not sure how this works ;-)

Thanks!

Anthony

Hi all...

Does anyone know about the specialty dining on board? This is my first PP cruise so not sure if I should just book a few reservations and hope for the best regarding making new friends and eating with them?

I am traveling solo so I'm not sure how this works ;-)

Thanks!

Anthony

Hey Anthony,

I too am traveling solo (this is my 3rd PP cruise). I'd like to try some of the other restaurants that I missed on Solstice last year. Although it was nice at the restaurant..we had a fun table and many laughs. Shoot me an email (it's in my profile in the "about me" section).

Paul

P.S. Everyone..I highly recommend a drink package...On Solstice last year, I think I got off about half price from a normal cruise where I pay by the drink!

• 4 weeks later...

This will be my first PP cruise, been on Celebrity before and it is so elegant. Hope we can bring the nightlife as its generally non-existent on Celebrity. I'm definitely doing a beverage package. I'm from Allentown, PA my friend is from Hampton, NB (Canada)...Looks like not many categories are sold out yet...makes me nervous since this is generally a large size group. Guess we'll have to wait n see.

This will be my first PP cruise, been on Celebrity before and it is so elegant. Hope we can bring the nightlife as its generally non-existent on Celebrity. I'm definitely doing a beverage package. I'm from Allentown, PA my friend is from Hampton, NB (Canada)...Looks like not many categories are sold out yet...makes me nervous since this is generally a large size group. Guess we'll have to wait n see.

Look forward to meeting! We're in Harrisburg, right down I78!

I do not think that the nightlife will be an issue. Last year our group had Quasar rocking till close every night!!

I also would not worry about the total number of people going with the group this year. I think that the rooms are selling faster than in previous years. I am surprised that one of the categories is already sold out. In the past I have not seen categories sell out until after final payment. I think that people wait to see if there will be a price drop after final payment.

I have never purchased a drink package but am now considering it. Does anyone have any idea of the cost of the martinis at the martini bar? One package tops out at $8 per cocktail and the other at $12. In the past I always drank gin and tonic for cocktails and wine for dinner. Both of those were less then $8. I am not sure which package is best for me.

Thanks

Robert

Glad to see there is a thread started (actually 2) for this cruise. This is my partners and I's 4th post thanksgivng cruise and 5th with PP. We always have great time and meet new people. We are brining 17 of our friends with us on this trip, some have been before some haven't. We can't wait. Anyone checked out hotels in MIA yet? Lenny

I have never purchased a drink package but am now considering it. Does anyone have any idea of the cost of the martinis at the martini bar? One package tops out at $8 per cocktail and the other at $12. In the past I always drank gin and tonic for cocktails and wine for dinner. Both of those were less then $8. I am not sure which package is best for me.

Thanks

Robert

This kind of depends. The martinis in a regular bar on the ship were small, and $8 each.

At the martini bar they are bigger drinks and cost $12, they are also freaking amazing!!

Glad to see there is a thread started (actually 2) for this cruise. This is my partners and I's 4th post thanksgivng cruise and 5th with PP. We always have great time and meet new people. We are brining 17 of our friends with us on this trip, some have been before some haven't. We can't wait. Anyone checked out hotels in MIA yet? Lenny

Hey Lenny! Can't wait to see you guys again!!!

Kyle

Thanks

Robert

Well, last year I went for the premium package thinking I'd go over the "standard" drink price frequently. I was wrong (I'm a beer drinker, Miller Lite or Coors Lite). For the 2 or 3 times I had a more expensive drink (which I'm not even sure I went over the limit), I could have just paid for it. This year I'm going with the standard package or whatever it's called to get beer for the most part (still a steal). It cut my normal bar bill on a 7 day cruise in HALF!

hey guys Husband & I,

signed up for this cruise, preassure from firends in the states to go along, didnt need much convicing and we r off again, cant keep away from ships or is it the Sailors ? cant be the Sailors as they dont have them on cruise ships.:confused:

Welcome aboard Joe

I have never been on a gay charter so I will be anxious to see how you compare the Atlantis experience with a Pied Piper's group charter. Hopefully the cocktail hour in the Martini Bar will be crowded. I have never ordered a drink package but I think for this cruise I will :p

Robert

Thanks, Robert.

After 16 Atlantis cruises I finally went on my first mainstream cruise a month ago. My brother organized a cruise on the Carnival Destiny for my family. To say I was apprehensive would be an understatement!

I loved it! We all had a great time celebrating my Mom's 81st birthday.

It made me consider taking a "hybrid" cruise. I stumbled upon a mention of Pied Piper and it looks like a great group.

Joe

I am sure we all will enjoy the Pied Piper cruise. I have been on many cruises but never a gay group or charter so this will be a great time for me. Last fall I did a transatlamtic from Venive to Lauderdale and there was a group from Prime Timers on the cruise which graciously ask us to join them. The transatlantic cruises have always seemed to have a large gay presence which has been enjoyable.

If anyone has specific questions about the cruise, I have elected Kyle as the official spokesperson since he appears to have the most experience with the Post Thanksgiving Cruise. I hope that is OK with you Kyle!

Isn't the anticipation exciting!:p

Robert

Joe

I am sure we all will enjoy the Pied Piper cruise. I have been on many cruises but never a gay group or charter so this will be a great time for me. Last fall I did a transatlamtic from Venive to Lauderdale and there was a group from Prime Timers on the cruise which graciously ask us to join them. The transatlantic cruises have always seemed to have a large gay presence which has been enjoyable.

If anyone has specific questions about the cruise, I have elected Kyle as the official spokesperson since he appears to have the most experience with the Post Thanksgiving Cruise. I hope that is OK with you Kyle!

Isn't the anticipation exciting!:p

Robert

I do not know if I have the most experience, but I am always willing to share what I know!!!!

Please if you have a question, ask away!!!

Kyle

Archived