Couple of red sea questions!

Hey guys,

Booking tomorrow to go on Thursday - EEP!

Couple of questions - On the ship excursions to Cairo , is there a dress code? I've seen somewhere that some sites like the pyramids they dont like men in shorts/vests etc?

And onboard the ship - What is the main dining room dress code? The Lido restaurant too is that pure casual?

Thank you

Hi,

There is no dress code for Cairo but I wouldn't advise wearing anything skimpy. My husband wore knee length shorts and a short sleeved cotton shirt and I wore cotton cut off trousers and a cotton to with sleeves. Just bear in mind that it is very hot and wearing sleeves stopped us having to worry about getting sun burnt.

The dress code for the main dining room is smart - casual. Most men wore long trousers with an open neck shirt (didn't see any jeans ) but if you prefer to wear shorts in the evening you can go to the Lido buffet. I believe the menu is the same in both restaurants but we preferred to eat in the Meridian.

Enjoy :)

Dress code for the whole ship in the evenings is smart casual with one formal night in the main restaurant where at least a dark suit would be suitable for men, or you can eat in the Lido buffet that evening if you don't want to do formal. The Lido is a full restaurant with laid tables in the evening but of course it is self serve although waiters will be available for drinks.

I wore light weight casual trousers and a short sleeved shirt for the Cairo excursion, plus a sun hat to avoid heat stroke.

When we did our trip to Cairo (March this year) our trip included lunch on board a boat down the Nile in Cairo. After that we went on to the Pyramids (about 4.30 pm). By the time we arrived at the Pyramids it was really starting to get cool and they were giving out blankets as we got off the bus. Hubby took one - I, being me, decided I was ok as I had a cardigan with me. Was I sorry, spent entire time trying to grab a bit of hubby's blanket (don't think he loves me enough as he was not parting with it). So just bear in mind what time of the day you will be actually seeing them as it is very cool/cold in the late afternoon.

Thanks very much for the replies. Booked it today through work! Really excited now, just 2 more days in work then off to Sharm.

I noticed on the forcast for Sharm El Sheikh , 30c at day and down to 11c at night ! Gonna be chilly on deck. Then again on NCL in February we cruised to Barcelona and it was snowing.. so 11c will be tropical.. and definetely tropical compared to -9c here last night !

Thanks again for the replies - Going to take a couple of nice pairs of trousers, shirts and shoes and use the main dining room a couple of times. The rest in the Lido.

Thinking of this cruise for January. If I decide to book, it will be for a week of chilling out rather than the trips to Pyramids etc.

Can anyone tell me how far it is to nice beaches, (for snorkelling etc) once you get off the ship, will I be looking at taxi rides?

I have never been to this part of the world so will do ONE excursion of historic sights. With this is mind, which ONE trip would you choose to do and why?

Thanks

Lorraine

the one trip to do ...in my opinion of course...would be Petra ....the trips to Cairo you would be able to do from other cruises in the Med that call at Alexandria or Port Said....Luxor is best done from a Nile cruise which can be found at a reasonable price.... as it gives you much more time to see everything (and there is so much to see).

This is not a cruise for beaches really...but we did a day in a resort hotel near to Hurghada from Safaga which was quite good with a private beach, pools, etc. and I think there are some other options....I personally would stick to Thomson trips for the security aspect and the fact that the ship will wait if you are late!! Port Sokhna is really the place to stay on board unless the ship does a beach trip but can't think of any beaches around there, its more or less at the entrance to the Suez canal....it is an industrial port with no taxi rank or suchlike.

If you have a late flight home you may have time for a brief snorkelling trip in Sharm el Sheikh or even book a week in a hotel here before or after the cruise and do a week of it!!!! :)

Thanks for that reply. I did not realise that you could do the other attractions on other cruises. Petra does sound brilliant. I did really want to do some snorkelling in the Red Sea as everyone says the fish are like something out of a Disney Film.

I think I am going to go ahead and book it now.....so excited.

Lorraine

We did a cruise on Spirit earlier this year from Cyprus, which called at Alexandria and Port Said as well as two Israeli ports and one in Turkey .....the itinerary was called Pharoahs and the Promised Land and was also a 7 day one.....I can recommend it though it might be called something different next year.

We have also done a Nile cruise which was 7 days for around £500 a few years ago but still quite cheap now....all excursions were included in the price...we went in February and it was nice and hot...so another option for winter sun!! :)

Yes the diving in the Red Sea is famous....there is the option of glass bottomed boats at some resorts as well as snorkelling.

Arrived back from Red Sea Cruise and Hotel in Sharm yesterday (had a cheeky extra two days thanks to the snow! Thomson looked after us so well). Petra everytime if you only do one trip, wonderful, exhausting, awesome. If you go to Cairo and it includes the Mosque then you need to have shoulders and knees covered (both men and ladies). If not they'll give you something to wear but best to go prepared. Didn't find it in the least chilly at night, the climate was just perfect. I agree, this is not a beaches cruise but Hurgadha had a snorkelling trip I think. Enjoy, its a wonderful trip as long as you're not expecting pretty ports!!!

Arrived back from Red Sea Cruise and Hotel in Sharm yesterday (had a cheeky extra two days thanks to the snow! Thomson looked after us so well). Petra everytime if you only do one trip, wonderful, exhausting, awesome. If you go to Cairo and it includes the Mosque then you need to have shoulders and knees covered (both men and ladies). If not they'll give you something to wear but best to go prepared. Didn't find it in the least chilly at night, the climate was just perfect. I agree, this is not a beaches cruise but Hurgadha had a snorkelling trip I think. Enjoy, its a wonderful trip as long as you're not expecting pretty ports!!!

Bit of a problem at Sharm where they have banned water sports again as a german tourist got attacked and killed by a shark while snorkelling. They had just relaxed the restrictions after claiming that the sharks responsible had been killed.

Archived