Copper Canyon

RAYSAN11

We are cruising on the Zaandam next April and are very interested in the Copper Canyon trip. Anyone who has been on this trip, any thoughts or recommendations, is it worthwhile doing ? What are the temperatures like when you are at the top, wondering what to pack it. Thanks very much in advance for your responses.

I haven't done it off a cruise ship, but I did go to the Copper Canyon in January one year. It was cold, and snowy there. Our train into the Canyon was almost cancelled due to heavy snow in some areas getting in. I'd underpacked expecting higher daytime temps, but survived! I liked it, though. Looks like the Grand Canyon, without the crowds, and no river at the bottom.

It must be a long day if it's a cruise tour...it's a good distance from the ocean.

We took this excursion in March 2008. I copied this from an email I sent yesterday to someone who is taking this excursion in January:

The Copper Canyon excursion was fun and interesting. First of all, if I spend over $400 pp on something I am going to have a good attitude. The bus ride, while a nice bus, was long and slow. The roads were in bad shape and several times we slowed down to about 15-20 miles an hour, skirting around various obstacles, which were marked by small fires on the road! Hopefully the roads are better now. All that I read about the trains and where you sit is true, some seats have poor views. They tell you not to worry, because they turn the seat the other direction for the trip home so everyone gets a fair shot at the view. Problem is that the way home is partially in the dark, and even more so in January, so try really hard to get a good seat. But the train was in good condition and had plenty of room to get up and stand between the cars to get a different view or take photos. It’s an old track and the train rattles and rolls, but I never was nervous about it not being safe. The reviews I read said the food on the train was not good. I beg to differ, it was not luxurious, but it was fresh and plentiful. Box breakfast with yogurt, fruit, packaged sweet roll, juice, and I think they also passed out coffee. Lunch at the top was a buffet of fish, salad, vegetables, etc. Box lunch on the way home was a sandwich, fruit, candy bar, chips, soda. All decent food. The view at the top (off the train) was interesting and we saw the Indians who live there and who were selling tourist crap (T-Shirts, hats, and other non-Indian looking junk) Before we got to the top they slowed the train down at one point where a whole bunch of Indian women and children ran up to the train to sell their handmade baskets. That was neat, and I bought a basket to remind me of the trip. The guide said these Indians lived too far from the top to be able to sell their baskets to the tourists, but he encouraged us to buy from them because they were authentic, not like some we might see later that used artificial dyes, and he said it was important to keep their crafts from becoming Americanized. One of the best parts of the trip was the guides. Each train car had one and he tells all about the areas, the train, the Terahumara Indians, Mexican history, and of course, the Copper Canyon. Pay attention and you might win something as they had a verbal test in our car and I won a DVD about the Copper Canyon. J Then we got back to the end of the train ride and back on the buses. Another long ride back to the ship. Our bus was freezing cold and I was tired but too cold to get to sleep. I wish I had more warm clothes with me then! Arriving back at the ship was neat, all the officers and many staff were there lined up to welcome us back aboard. They had a buffet ready if anyone wanted to eat again. (We had 3 meals already, more food that I could eat, and I was not a light eater on that cruise!) We were so exhausted to do anything but go right to bed. We’re glad we did it. We aren’t doing it again this cruise, but we might do it again in the future if we have the money and opportunity.

I would also recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Copper-Canyon-Mexico-Richard-Fisher/dp/0967890705

Temps at the top in March 2008 were mild, probably 75-80.

I agree with Kathi. It's an awsome experience but IMHO better saved for a separate trip on land. It will be a long day and probably 20 degrees cooler at the top than at the port. Also be aware you will get to an elevation of 7200 feet which will be a problem for some people.

I'm not sure how to access HAL shorex for cruises where I'm not booked but looked at Crystals version (I'm sure similar to HAL) and it's 4 hours on a bus, 11 hours on the train, and 17 1/2 hours total.

There is likely some great whale watching around Topolabampo and other nice alternatives. If you're committed to not doing Copper Canyon by land it could be nice but it wouldn't be my choice.

Roy

Archived