Maasdam - Canada/NE - April or May

Hi all! I am hoping to gain some insight into individuals' experience with this ship and the Canada/NE itenerary. I have sails on HAL on three cruises, all in Alaska and have loved them - Amsterdam and Statendam. My sister found this cruise and has asked me to consider going. First, how is the Maasdam these days. I understand that she is scheduled to go into dry dock. Does anyone know the exact date? I'd prefer not to be the next cruise following the dry dock based on the issues on the Statendam following dry dock. As for the ports of call, how are they? What are the highlights? How would it compare to Alaska as far as scenery? My favorite thing about Alaska was the scenery and wild life. I can't imagine a more perfect place.

Hi Middle Aged And Happy...

Well, as an expert on that cruise (oh, please; not another one of those). Ok, as someone who has taken this cruise a bunch of times but does not know exactly what you are looking for, let me tell you about my experiences.

First, how is the Maasdam these days.

I think the gal is doing well. Lots of people, myself included, think she's their favorite ship. Not too big, friendly crew. A little long in the tooth, but see below.

I understand that she is scheduled to go into dry dock.

And not a moment too soon. Ships get old, just the same as happy middle aged cruisers (and people like me who will never see middle age again).

Does anyone know the exact date?

Some time in April.

I'd prefer not to be the next cruise following the dry dock based on the issues on the Statendam following dry dock.

That could be the best idea of your cruising career. ;)

As for the ports of call, how are they?

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being Halifax and 1 being Sydney, they are all pretty good. Sydney is what you make of it and you can make a fair amount if you try.

What are the highlights?

Think "calm and green." This is not a place for high living, hot bars and wild times. It is comfortable and filled with warm, friendly people. That's one reason I've taken it 14 or 15 times (I've lost count). I've been to Alaska 7 times and enjoyed it immensely for its natural beauty; New England/Canada is a different place and I think you will like it. But it's different.

How would it compare to Alaska as far as scenery? My favorite thing about Alaska was the scenery and wild life. I can't imagine a more perfect place.

You will have to adjust your expectations. Alaska was breathtaking and I compare it to a religious experience. New England/Canada is a calm and relaxing place and I compare it to the peaceful isolated island where I lived. There are many perfect places on this planet, perfect in their own ways.

I hope this helps.

Some shops are not open that early. It didn't bother us, but we aren't shoppers. There will also be a couple excursions that aren't available for April or even May cruises. We've gone twice in late spring and enjoyed both cruises. One advantage is fewer people in ports.

April is pretty early to come here. We can still have snowstorms in April and it will be freezing at sea. The later you can come in May the better. People around here are still taking southern vacations to get out of the cold in April.

I forgot to mention Quebec City -- and that's where my family lives! Luckily, they don't come to this site. QCity is the most fabulous place in the entire universe. Rome wishes it were QC; Paris wishes it were QC; the crowned heads of Europe all wished they could have ruled from QC.

(This is just in case my brother wanders by.)

It's a really nice place.

We did a repositioning cruise once from Ft Lauderdale to Montreal on the Maasdam -- cruise ended around the second week of May -- many of the stores still had not opened for the season. It was also cold and rainy quite a few days.

If you could possibly wait until June -- that would be a much better time to do a Canada/New England cruise.

Archived