Capri...How much time is needed?

cw2go

Hello we will be in Naples July 7th 10:30am till 9pm via Carnival Magic.

We would like to go visit Capri on our own. (hydro-jet over)

Walking tour/trail

Chair lift @ Anna-Capri

Boat tour of Island or Blue Grottos??? Need help here??? I have looked a web sites and cannot get a feel for which is better or cost???

Most importantly a yummy lunch. Resturaunt recommendations welcomed! Please help as to best suite out non-adventurous 14 yr old son. :p

Okay so my question is how much time should I plan for our day and in what order?

Thanks so much for any imput,

Patty

If you decide to go to the Blue Grotto, I'd do that first since you'll be arriving at Marina Grande on the hydrofoil, and that's where the boats for the BG leave from.

With all of the things you want to do, plan on the entire day. As it is, you probably won't get out there much before noon. So, I'd go to the grotto, then lunch, then the rest of your day.

We were last in Naples in October 2009 and visited Capri on our own. I blogged about the day, including lots of practical details, here. The times of our visit weren't the same as yours will be, but I think a number of the general comments will still apply.

Here's a link to an overview page for that whole cruise (Celebrity Solstice) with links off that page for individual days.

We visited Capri for some days and your programm sounds nice, but a bit stressful. During the day, Capri is very crowed.

Arriving with the boat, you can go by bus to Capri town. Do a nice walk, have an espresso at La Piazetta. I would then consider to walk down to a nice beach club for lunch. You will walk about 30 min. It is called La Fontelina (my pesonal favourit.) In the afternoon, there is a boat to Marina Piccola, so do not have to walk back.

Or you take the bus to Marina Piccola from Capri Center. There is a nice restaurant right at the water on the stones.

Blue Grotto needs good sea conditions, so do not be disappointed, if you can not go.

You can get everywhere with the busses. Cabs are fun too, as theys are convertables which allow to see a lot.

Just a little advise on Anacapri. If you plan on taking the bus don't wait until late afternoon to return to Capri. The line for the bus can get quite long and the busses don't hold many people. Most people will have to stand as there are few seats and they will fit as many people as they can really packed in. If the line is very long you can always walk down the road toward the direction the bus will be comming from and find another bus stop with no line. Just walk down the street and look for the bus sized rectangle on the street that says BUS. We caught the bus at the other end of town and were able to get a seat before it got to the crowded stop. We got this tip from Rick Steves.

You can also catch the bus at Marina Grande strait through to Anacapri without going to Capri Town. It is best to go to Anacapri first and explore Capri later so you are within walking distance to the ferries if things get too crowded. The funicular line can be deceptive. You can't see most of the line and it can get very crowded with people pushing.

Most of the ferries will honor a return ticket even if it's not the right time. So If you have had enough of the crowds and want to return early you probably can. And I believe if you miss your ferry you can use it on a later one. You might even be able to use the other ferry company. When we went as long as you had an unused ticket they let you on.

Agree with the above posts that there is lots to do and see on Capri! Given all of the logistics getting there and back, it is not really a half day thing, if you want to do it right. This popular island can be crowded, but that will vary depending on your "luck" for how many and the size of the cruise ships in port in Naples and/or Sorrento, etc. Doing the grotto early is better to avoid the later crowds. Lots of nice shops on this island, if you like that kind of thing. We have some nice painted pottery picture frames from our visit there. Very nice!!! Great memories from Capri.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 25,600 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

On Capri, we are departing on a smaller boat to visit the famed Blue Grotto. It is a very charming island with much to see and do. The second picture shows the larger boats having people transferred to smaller ones to go inside the grotto.:

CapriDeparting.jpg

CapriSeeingBlueHole.jpg

As we approached Capri, here is one of the large rock formations with a boat shown circling the island:

CapriRock2.jpg

Here are more sights and sights on and around Capri:

CapriHarborMountains.jpg

CapriRoofMountainView.jpg

CapriHarborApproachwBoatOut.jpg

Okay the census is that Capri is crowded...:eek:

Okay so now after reading about rough water and crowds. I am rethinking my plans and am now wondering if taking a tour with RIL to Sorrento and Almalfi coast would be a better options for us. I have tours booked with them for Rome and Livorno as well. We wanted to see Capri but I am not the kind of girl who likes to feel rushed or nervous about all the logistics. I had read how easy Capri was to do on our own but with it being prime season I am questioning that choice.

My son will be almost 15 and has picked this trip. Any input as to the difference and what the tours are like in Sorrento & Almalfi. I did read one has a pizza making class included and thought that might be fun. So for those of you with experience can you please share your oppinions?

Thank again, :p

Patty

Oh dear; I'm sure no-one wanted to put you off Capri. One problem with a site such as Cruise Critic is that there is so much information available that sometimes people seem just to be telling you about all the things that can go wrong, when in fact everyone is trying to help.

Capri is stunningly beautiful. It started off naturally beautiful, and somehow man managed to make it even more so. To top it all off, quite a proportion of those around and about could fairly be termed 'beautiful people'. The combination of the place, the architecture and the people is truly stunning. The fact that it's an island just adds to the magic - there's a real separation between Capri and 'not-Capri', if you see what I mean. It's a great place, and somewhere you'll remember for a very long time. (I also think your son might find it pretty memorable as well.)

Okay the census is that Capri is crowded...:eek: Okay so now after reading about rough water and crowds. I am rethinking my plans and am now wondering if taking a tour with RIL to Sorrento and Almalfi coast would be a better options for us. I have tours booked with them for Rome and Livorno as well. We wanted to see Capri but I am not the kind of girl who likes to feel rushed or nervous about all the logistics. I had read how easy Capri was to do on our own but with it being prime season I am questioning that choice. My son will be almost 15 and has picked this trip. Any input as to the difference and what the tours are like in Sorrento & Almalfi. I did read one has a pizza making class included and thought that might be fun. So for those of you with experience can you please share your opinions? Patty

Hi, to our Ohio neighbor, Patty!! I would NOT assume that Capri will always be crowded. The other areas can be busy, too. This includes lots of traffic for Sorrento and along parts of the Almalfi Coast. Much depends on the number of cruise ships in port during that day. PLUS, the weather in the summer can be a factor. It might be warm, but not too bad in early July. It could be hot, hot! Lots of variables and factors. I would focus, FIRST, on what fits your needs and personal interests.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 25,600 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Hi, to our Ohio neighbor, Patty!! I would NOT assume that Capri will always be crowded. The other areas can be busy, too. This includes lots of traffic for Sorrento and along parts of the Almalfi Coast. Much depends on the number of cruise ships in port during that day. PLUS, the weather in the summer can be a factor. It might be warm, but not too bad in early July. It could be hot, hot! Lots of variables and factors. I would focus, FIRST, on what fits your needs and personal interests.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Well as of today Carnival Magic and NCL Epic are in port of Naples 7/7/2011 7800 pax load. Seems busy to me??? What's your thoughts???

Thanks again,

Patty

Well as of today Carnival Magic and NCL Epic are in port of Naples 7/7/2011 7800 pax load. Seems busy to me??? What's your thoughts???

Any of the main sites in the Naples area are going to be crowded in July, and traffic along the Amalfi Coast road will be very heavy. Be strategic in your choices and don't try and do too much, and you will be fine. Yes, there will be a lot of people going out to Capri, so be smart about it (for example, get your return tickets in the morning, rather than wait until the afternoon/evening), and leave yourself plenty of time on your return. Have a "plan B" just in case your "plan A" goes awry (for example, leave enough time to walk from Capri town down to Marina Grande if the line for the funiculare is too long).

priWell, I would not skip Capri, as it is a lovely place! I just would consider to take that little island on a relaxed way. The charm of Capri is the Town and the sea. So I would not try to see all sights but spend my day with walking around and a nice lunch.

Amalifi coast is quit rushy at that time of the year too.

priWell, I would not skip Capri, as it is a lovely place! I just would consider to take that little island on a relaxed way. The charm of Capri is the Town and the sea. So I would not try to see all sights but spend my day with walking around and a nice lunch. Amalifi coast is quit rushy at that time of the year too.

euro cruiser: Any of the main sites in the Naples area are going to be crowded in July' date=' and traffic along the Amalfi Coast road will be very heavy. Be strategic in your choices and don't try and do too much, and you will be fine. Yes, there will be a lot of people going out to Capri, so be smart about it [/quote']

Great and wise above advice by these two posters for our Ohio neighbor. Given the weather, crowds, etc., you have to be flexible and adjust accordingly. Capri is a decent-sized area and only a fraction from those two ships will go there. Don't be scared off. If this is what you want, go for it. It will work out. In many cases on these boards, you read about the worst-case situation and then when you are there, you find out that it wasn't really that bad. There will be crowds and heat, but you can make it work, if that's what you seek.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 25,700 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Thanks to all who helped, you did not scare me away just gave me more info to chew on. After looking over the Hydro-jet schedule and our port time, we would only have 6 hrs max on Capri. We have decided to go with RIL to Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano for our day. This was our other option being considered and after my many post's, we feel this may give us more bang for our few hours.

I feel it may be more to son's liking as well, he is not the beach type guy. Loved El Morro fort in San Juan just as an axample.

Thank you, the neighbor Patty :p

Archived