Blow up tubs on pool deck

cheney_23

So, we are going as an extended family on the NCL Dawn in March... This will be our 7th cruise, so we are NOT new to crusing. Anyway, our youngest daughter will be on this trip and she will just be 1. Unlike some other ships the Dawn does not have a splah area... I had read of others taking the blow up tubs to the pool deck and used those as small splash pools for those not allowed in the pools. I am sure it will be difficult to keep her out of the pool when her sister and cousins will be in there, so I thought this was a neat idea... What are the thoughts of the cruise line, is this accepted, or not? I figured I would need to take a bucket (and obviously some toys) and scoop some water into the tub, but not sure about getting the water out, or anything else... If anyone has ever tried this and can help I would appreciate it!

You may want to fill from the shower as well if the pool is salt water.

We did this when my youngest grandson was only 6 months - small enough to put near our loungers (out of the way) and was good for bathing him since the cabin only had a shower as well. Worked great - try to get a small one.

We will have an 8 month old on our next cruise, and were planning on doing this. :) Depending on the amount of deck chairs, we may reserve it for use on our balcony, but we want DS (first time I've written that!) to have water to splash in too.

We did this when DD was 12 months old. She is now 3 1/2 and potty-trained. She will really enjoy the "big pool" on her 2nd cruise in January. It worked great and we got a lot of comments about what a great idea it was. We filled it from the shower on the pool deck and emptied down a drain on the deck. It was not in anyone's way and DD enjoyed it a lot. I bought it at Babies R Us. It was meant to be a blow-up bathtub. See the photos below.

100_0922.jpg.f663079fa4c8cd9708f4a47155cb7767.jpg

100_0923.jpg.c4a1d8fb6bc3c9b24ad9ac71867a2509.jpg

We too will be cruising with our grandson the end of March on Carnival. He will be 15 months, and too bought a blow up tub to bring to the pool area. Someone told us, when it comes to filling it up with water, ask the waiter for a empty bucket (bucket of beers), then fill up with shower water. Easy and no salt water.

Great post :) We're going to be doing the same thing for our son who will be turning 1 the week we cruise in March! We'll be on the NCL Jewel and I didn't know what to do about the water in the blow up tub either. I guess we'll be pouring it down the shower drain too.

Happy cruising!

I had planned to do this for our 1 year old, but her big sister (4) was afraid of the dinosaur pool, so we just set up the blow-up pool on the balcony. The girls had a great time. We brought bubbles, plastic cups, paint brushes, etc. Fun for hours while the big kids were at the main pool with Dad. We filled it with buckets from the sink and drained it in the shower.

BTW: There was plenty of room near the dinosaur pool for the blow-up tubs. Plenty of tucked-away spaces.

Bermuda#5498280650097155506

http://picasaweb.google.com/111020518336932637883/Bermuda#5498280650097155506

• 2 weeks later...
What a great idea! Where do you recommend picking up these? Is it something you can find in just about any WalMart or should I order it online?

Try Babies R Us or Target. Look for an inflatable tub. You should find it in the baby bathing section.

I took one on Carnival recently. We didn't take it to the pool, but tried using it on the deck. One word of advice, try to get your child use to it before the cruise. My daughter loves baths, loved the ocean, but would not sit in the blow up Walmart duck. She was somehow uncomfortable with it. I wish I had tried getting her use to it at home. It was extremely helpful at bath time though. I am so glad I brought it, but it was not a success for anything more.

The bathtub versions are small enough that you can blow it up as soon as you get to the cabin, and just let the kid play in it without water. If it's in the way, it can be tossed on top of a bed, etc. If nobody is pressuring the baby, but it's just there, he/she will likely start sitting in it themselves.

Just make sure to use lots of sunscreen, and if it's warm enough, to keep it in the shade while the baby is playing.

• 3 weeks later...
One word of advice, try to get your child use to it before the cruise. My daughter loves baths, loved the ocean, but would not sit in the blow up Walmart duck. She was somehow uncomfortable with it. I wish I had tried getting her use to it at home.

This is good advice...i bought one of the ducks baths to get my son used to it at home before the cruise...and he's scared to death of it. I can't imagine why...and if it wasn't for the look of sheer terror on his face, it would be funny.

I guess we'll try one of the more basic tubs...and I'm glad we have the chance to "swap out" before the cruise.

Archived