Help Needed Delta Changed our Flights

schoolinmy3

I booked Delta flights for our cruise out of Rome. Since it is just my son and I we didn't want to stay overnight pre or post cruise if possible. (We were just in Rome with the entire family in May and flew in several days ahead). So I initially picked flights I was comfortable with but just received notice those flights have been cancelled. I initially was flying into Rome and landing at 10:25 a.m. The new flight had me making an extra connection and I was not comfortable with that so they offered me a flight that would get me there at 8:25 a.m. the morning of the cruise. This was better - 2 hours earlier since I don't want to miss the boat. The return flight though is having me leave at 12 noon. I don't feel comfortable making that flight. What do you think? Should I stay over a night and fly home the next morning? The flight would be at 9:45 a.m. but I would have to spend the money on a hotel at FCO. So, what are my chances of making a 12 noon flight when the Noordam is docking at 7 a.m. in Civitavecchia and is it worth it spend $250 to stay at the Hilton for one night? I have cruise ship transfers.

diane

We were on the Noordam in August and also flew with Delta.

We used Romeinlimo to pick us up at Civitavecchia and transfer us to FCO.

We did self-disembark and the RIL driver met us the minute we were off the ship.

I could actually see him waiting for us from our balcony.

It took approximately 45 minutes to get to FCO. We got there before the Delta counter even opened! The ship's shuttle arrived about an hour later (if I remember correctly).

The key is to be off the ship first and arrange for a private transfer. I highly recommend Romeinlimo. They were great, punctual and professional.

You need to weigh the risk, but in this case, I think you can make that flight.

We were on the Noordam in August and also flew with Delta.

We used Romeinlimo to pick us up at Civitavecchia and transfer us to FCO.

We did self-disembark and the RIL driver met us the minute we were off the ship.

I could actually see him waiting for us from our balcony.

It took approximately 45 minutes to get to FCO. We got there before the Delta counter even opened! The ship's shuttle arrived about an hour later (if I remember correctly).

The key is to be off the ship first and arrange for a private transfer. I highly recommend Romeinlimo. They were great, punctual and professional.

You need to weigh the risk, but in this case, I think you can make that flight.

Thank you, I am going to pass along this information to my husband as I think this may be better than the HAL's cruise ship transfers. It would save me from spending the money to spend another night at the airport. And I really need to get back home to get on another cruise :D

diane

If you do decide to stay over night, it might actually be cheaper to stay in Rome itself and take a private transfer to the airport in the morning. I was shocked, but it worked out that way for us.

I would second that. We didn't stay there, but I have heard that the Sheraton in Rome is close to the airport and much more reasonable than the ones down in the center of everything.

I think you will be okay with a noon flight if you go with private transportation.

What time does the cruiseline say is okay for a flight out? (Normally they will give you a time, particularly if you have a transfer with them, before which it is not recommended to book a flight.)

However, if you decide to stay in Rome an extra day, 9:45 isn't really that early for a flight -- I would stay in Rome rather than at the airport, and enjoy the city for the day and evening that you will have.

I think you will be okay with a noon flight if you go with private transportation.

What time does the cruiseline say is okay for a flight out? (Normally they will give you a time, particularly if you have a transfer with them, before which it is not recommended to book a flight.)

However, if you decide to stay in Rome an extra day, 9:45 isn't really that early for a flight -- I would stay in Rome rather than at the airport, and enjoy the city for the day and evening that you will have.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I decided to keep the noon flight and will change to private transfer instead of the cruise ship's transfer. I had selected the cruise ship transfer when I made our booking but was told I would be able to remove that option anytime before final payment. HAL says flights have to be after noon. Not sure if mine qualifies now that they changed my flight, but from what I understand a private transfer will get me to the airport more quickly. Delta did put me on an earlier flight coming in to Rome the day of the cruise so as long as I don't miss my connection in Atlanta (from Charlotte) I should be ok. I will be arriving at 8:30 a.m. instead of 10:30 a.m.. I have never come in the day of the cruise before but had no other option this time. Believe me I prefer not to be this much stressed. Last year we had the volcanic ash which cleared up the week of our cruise!:eek: Who would have even dreamed the havoc that caused?

Thanks to everyone for their help. I decided to keep the noon flight and will change to private transfer instead of the cruise ship's transfer.

I changed my HAL transfer to a private transfer with Rome In Limo. I am hoping Delta doesn't cancel any more of my flights! It seems lately our flights have been changed quite a bit. Our Disney trip in the fall was changed several times and finally we had to cancel the flight completely and book a new one with a different airline. We use Expedia and they have handled all the changes for me and have been wonderful.

diane

I changed my HAL transfer to a private transfer with Rome In Limo. I am hoping Delta doesn't cancel any more of my flights! It seems lately our flights have been changed quite a bit. Our Disney trip in the fall was changed several times and finally we had to cancel the flight completely and book a new one with a different airline. We use Expedia and they have handled all the changes for me and have been wonderful.

diane

Diane,

I have had the same problem with Delta. They typically send me an email to notify me of the change.

However, on one occasion, for our trip to Fairbanks, AK, Delta changed our flight and never notified us. Fortunately, I checked our itinerary online and I noticed the change. It was a major change, and I was flabbergasted that they did not call me or email me. They changed our flight to a day earlier. That meant we had to take an additional day off from work, and arrange for another night's lodging and car rental.

Delta would not compensate us in any way. They said they have the right to change flights. We had used FF miles that my father gave us before he passed.

So, the lesson I learned from that is, check your itinerary frequently on the Delta website.

Glad you got your flight and transfer. We will be using RIL again in July, they are very good.

Diane,

I have had the same problem with Delta. They typically send me an email to notify me of the change.

However, on one occasion, for our trip to Fairbanks, AK, Delta changed our flight and never notified us. Fortunately, I checked our itinerary online and I noticed the change. It was a major change, and I was flabbergasted that they did not call me or email me. They changed our flight to a day earlier. That meant we had to take an additional day off from work, and arrange for another night's lodging and car rental.

I also never received an email from Delta although just about a week ago I signed in to my itinerary with Delta and gave them my contact info.:( I did receive notification from Expedia to call immediately as there were significant changes. I would say there were significant changes! My flight had been cancelled. Delta wanted to change me to a less desirable flight with 2 connections and to me that was unacceptable considering each connection did not give me enough time to make the next flight IMO. And flying in the day of the cruise I have no room for error. Expedia called Delta and they were able to get me on a flight with only one connection and getting me to Rome 2 hours earlier. Our flight in September to Orlando also was cancelled. We found out while we were in Europe in May. For a minute we panicked because we thought Expedia was notifying us our flight home from Europe had been cancelled! Fortunately,it had nothing to do with our current trip, it was a future flight in the fall. They were able to rebook us with another airline because the AirTran flight was completely messed up. I have to say though I am regretting not booking a direct flight as the airlines seem to be playing games lately with our itineraries. I also wish I was flying in a day earlier but it was our choice not to this time. I hope I don't regret it. :(

diane

Archived