So WHY bother pre booking seats!!!

CASPALL

Flying out of Manchester on Friday (hopefully) and we have had an email from P&O telling us they have changed our seats (return as well) due to operational reasons. As we had paid the £12.50 each to select our seats, I telephoned P&O. A complete waste of time that was! I was told after 10mins on hold, that our new seats are only 2 rows from the original ones so there is no problem!!!

My point? Why have I thrown away £50?

Back to packing

Caryl

Why indeed! Our prebooked seats were taken on the way back from Barbados for "Operational Reasons" It was like musical chairs the way the stewards were moving people.

We were on the ground (fully laiden) for 40 minutes while people moved seats. A few passengers had bee taken ill and left in Barbados, so there were spare seats others wanted to sit in, another prosn had a broken leg bone with a full cast and had to use a pre booked medical seat meaning someone with "less" of a disability had to sit in a "normal seat" and was split from their companion. Passengers from other flights and extra "jump seat" cabin crew all added to the confusion.

In my opinion there is absolutely no point in booking seats!

Caryl, we will still all enjoy the cruise though wont we! Its just the getting there that causes all the problems, ie, more snow due, airports may be closed, trying to pack just 23Kilos for a month and only having a 5Kg hand luggage etc etc//LOL

Thats why I have never done a fly-cruise (YET) I really fancy the Caribbean, but the fuss of getting to the airport (none offered near me in Bristol) , luggage weight restrictions and the long flight have put me off. I'd sail from Southampton, but the Caribbean is over 23 days and we can't get that much timeoff at once, either of us from work..... one day, one day....

Thats why I have never done a fly-cruise (YET) I really fancy the Caribbean, but the fuss of getting to the airport (none offered near me in Bristol) , luggage weight restrictions and the long flight have put me off....

Sue

Azura A104 18 Feb 2011 has a flight from Bristol. Might be some good deals coming up shortly. However I think I have seen somewhere that the runway at Bristol is not long enough to take off with a full fuel load so they usually stop for fuel at Manchester. The return flight to Bristol would be non stop though. Flying time is 9hrs out and 8 hrs back if non stop.

Brian

Thats why I have never done a fly-cruise (YET) I really fancy the Caribbean, but the fuss of getting to the airport (none offered near me in Bristol) , luggage weight restrictions and the long flight have put me off. I'd sail from Southampton, but the Caribbean is over 23 days and we can't get that much timeoff at once, either of us from work..... one day, one day....

We flew from Bristol in Feb 2010 and will do so again in Feb 2011. However I believe there will be no more Bristol flights. I understand Cardiff flights will be available on a few cruises.

Sue

Azura A104 18 Feb 2011 has a flight from Bristol. Might be some good deals coming up shortly. However I think I have seen somewhere that the runway at Bristol is not long enough to take off with a full fuel load so they usually stop for fuel at Manchester. The return flight to Bristol would be non stop though. Flying time is 9hrs out and 8 hrs back if non stop.

Brian

I'm not sure they refuel, they changed crew when we flew in Feb 2010. I believe this is because none of the long haul crew are based in the south west.

Paying to select seats on charter flights is usually a 'scam' by the airlines so that you can guarantee to sit next to each other. I think Thomsons and a couple of others promote this as one of the 'advatages' of pre selecting.

If however you had paid extra for extra legroom seats (such as exit row) and they moved you to non extra leg room then you are due a refund - and should demand it.

So do you just sail from southhampton then ?

Believe me the long flight isn't long at all really. A bit of sleep and a couple of movies later and the flight is over.

Just the fact that you land in sunny Barbados makes it all worth it x

My shoe collection gives me a little drama but but we manage ok.

Do yourself a big favour and book one. I've never had one thing go wrong on one :)x

We've always flown schedule... booked cruise and flights seperately -- MUCH better solution -- and little extra cost with much better service..

Bx

You'd have been stuck last week when the scheduled flights were cancelled by the weather, like those who cruised with MSC and Costa!

Sue, there's a lot to be said for a repositioning cruise if you are keen to do the Caribbean. Preferably flying out and sailing back, then you only have a daytime flight and arrive back in Southampton at the end of the cruise. That's what we're doing in March, having previously done one in the other direction. They're excellent value too.

I have no intention of booking seats for the flight out though. Even if we don't end up sitting together it's not the end of the world for a few hours! We spend the rest of our lives together!:)

Archived