LIVE: Queen Victoria V025 'Christmas Markets'

northernsailor

Hi all,

I was going to post a live update whilst waiting to embark but it was such a quick process (within 40mins from dropping car off to in my stateroom) that I didn't have chance!

We're just passing the Isle of Wight, Portsmouth will be on our Port side in the next 10mins. So far, so good. Not seen any massive changes since her refit - though her hull looks beautifully painted!

Just going to warm up from the sailaway (there were only about 15 of us outside on the stern for that!) then will post more.

Throughout this cruise I will be posting more detailed updates on my blog (found via my profile link on here) with media (photos, etc)

Cheers :)

Chris

Afternoon.

I have posted another update on my blog. Hang with me whilst I try and work out how to post the postings on here with images and keep it all aligned.

The next update covers sailaway until this morning and includes a nice photo of the Queen Victoria's Grand Lobby with her Christmas decorations up..

Will be posting a 3rd update in the next 30mins too and then should be every 8hrs I think (now I have the hang of the software to update it and our Internet connection is actually stable!)

Chris

Not sure really what I was expecting – but when a ship goes into dry dock for two weeks for it’s first ‘major refit’ (Cunard’s words, not mine) then I don’t know – what I have seen is a little disappointing to be honest.

Firstly, yes they have replaced the carpet in the Britannia Restaurant – but who spends their time looking at the carpet in there? You use it to walk to your table and back out again and that is it (unlike say the Grand Lobby) There is lots of little paintjobs that appear to have been done which look nice (the hull for instance – not sure we can class that as ‘little’ though!) and all the bulkheads of the balconies are all nice and white – but that’s come with a downside unfortunately, they have managed to splatter white paint onto all the handrails on the balconies. The handrails (which two months ago I noticed had no varnish on them) still hasn’t got any varnish on them – when exactly are they planning on doing that I wonder? Maybe they are waiting for the warm weather in her Americas Season to it hardens properly?

The welcome video appears to have been updated to show the new ‘leave your keycard in to power your room’ facility that is on the new Queen Elizabeth (but not her sisters Thankfully)

Perhaps the biggest change I have noticed and is for the better is new drinks machines in the Lido. Finally they have a proper dispenser that they dont need to top up. All day long you can get Iced Tea, Cranberry Cocktail, Apple Juice or Orange Juice and the coffee ‘pumps’ have been replaced with coffee machines that actually use ground coffee to make your drinks (you can see at the top of the machines spinning round) – unfortunatley they are having serious teething troubles with these and you have to wait ages (over 5mins) for the standard coffee ‘green light’ to be lit up before you can have one cup. Whereas the decaf option seems to always work – They have 3 machines and all 3 suffer the same fate for some unknown reason? Next to each machine is a new hot water pump too and that has been intermittently just giving everyone cold water or .. nothing!

Still on the lookout for more changes, will post when I find them! :)

Cheers,

Chris

Just to report that QV arrived in Zebrugge this morning where there had been a heavy fall of snow overnight. This has resulted in all tours being cancelled, as there is apparently grid-lock on most roads within a 15km radius of the dock, and the tour busses are stuck out there - somewhere!

At least the leberal fall of snow means that there is not a huge rush for the best located sun loungers, nor is there a lengthy queue of diners eager to secure a table in the Courtyard (See attached photos).

Regards,

David

DSCN3283.jpg.6f1dd5c618c8356de3847dcc22372c75.jpg

DSCN3274.jpg.a8d042dc8ad5fd45183f2373532ffb9b.jpg

Hi Dorchester, I see from your list of future cruises that you are on the same one as me, the Norwegian Fjords in July. Unlike yourself I have never cruised before but my wife and I are really looking forward to it. Maybe our paths will cross in July. ;)

At least the leberal fall of snow means that there is not a huge rush for the best located sun loungers, nor is there a lengthy queue of diners eager to secure a table in the Courtyard (See attached photos).

Regards,

David

Where? :)

lunaticg,

Many thanks for your blogs and photos. I was sorry to read about the cancelled tours and so glad I didn't book this cruise which I nearly did when there was the 2-for-1 offer in August. Fortunately one of our party of four couldn't take the time off work.

We've also been onboard during one of those fire drills (the QM2) and it took us ages to find a way of getting off the ship as all the doors were closed and the crew were everywhere.

All tours cancelled in Le Havre today and shuttle buses were all cancelled for a short while too due to the snow. I have just come back from one of the best massages ever in the Spa and will be writing a new update shortly :)

Chris

Enjoyed your blogs thus far. Well done.

Left the QV this morning after a very enjoyable short trip, and have to agree with Lunticg, with regard to the spa. We also thought that the massages we had were the best ever.

I am sure there will be a lot of whingers posting adverse comments re cancelled tours etc, but personally thought Cunard coped admirably in what was a highly unusual situation.

All credit must go to the staff in the Princes Grill restaurant for the most amazing snowman they built in the Courtyard.

file:/

IMG_1059.jpg.071486a26f29c568c22956e4fe039f82.jpg

Hi Dorchester, I see from your list of future cruises that you are on the same one as me, the Norwegian Fjords in July. Unlike yourself I have never cruised before but my wife and I are really looking forward to it. Maybe our paths will cross in July. ;)

Hi Phil. Pleased that you have chosen this particular voyage as an introduction to cruising, and provided that the weather is kind to us it should be a cracking trip. Don't forget to bring plenty of storage media for your camera / video camera, as there are photo opportunities around literally every corner. Even if you are not a 'photoholic' (if there is such a word), even a slightly blurred and marginally under-exposed 'snap' will be an aide-mémoire when you look at it the following winter!

If there is anything specific that you are not absolutely sure about or have a query regarding, by all means send me a PM and I will answer you directly (assuming that I know the answer of course!).

Regards,

David

The penultimate posting of this trip is now live. The final update will include all links to the photos and videos I took. Which at this point stands at about just under 1000 photos and 50 videos!

Cheers,

You have put a lot of time into your blog, and sure many people appreciated your descriptive writing. Well done!

We also were at the stern going through the lock; the ride on that tug would have eclipsed any in a theme park as they worked to control the QV. So pleased we braved the elements for that spectacle.

Despite the weather, we thoroughly enjoyed the break, as you did.

• 3 weeks later...
The penultimate posting of this trip is now live. The final update will include all links to the photos and videos I took. Which at this point stands at about just under 1000 photos and 50 videos!

Cheers,

You have put a lot of time into your blog, and sure many people appreciated your descriptive writing. Well done!

We also were at the stern going through the lock; the ride on that tug would have eclipsed any in a theme park as they worked to control the QV. So pleased we braved the elements for that spectacle.

Despite the weather, we thoroughly enjoyed the break, as you did.

Hello and sorry to dig up this thread one more time. It will be the last time, I promise!

I have now posted the update with the link to photos and the GPS tracklogs. I am still in the midst of uploading the Youtube videos, they take a while as they are all in full HD. I have some good footage of the tug straining to keep Queen Victoria from moving into the side of the locks at IJmuiden.

My final post with photos is located here.

Thanks all again for the kind comments. My next cruise isnt until April - it's a 10 nighter though with a bunch of seadays, perfect for catching up on the blogging front! Again, it's on Queen Victoria - I do like her!

Here's a quick preview of one of the photos:

5288328524_16c71a5032_z.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

Archived