A few random Eclipse questions

Z3RACERGIRL

Please forgive if this has been addressed a gazillion times. This board has grown so big that it is nearly impossible to skim over and find something. We are sailing Eclipse in Jan. CC aft.

I am bringing my iPad onboard and am curious about coverage. I have a 3G plan now that kicks in whenever there is no wi-fi signal. What options will there be onboard for wi fi and will the 3G pick up at sea? It's through AT+T.

Also, what exactly is the Persian Garden/ relaxation room all about? Do you have to be AQ to go there?

Blu is only for AQ, but anyone can go to the spa cafe, right? Is that something one can just grab a quick snack at all day long?

I have a lot more questions.. After 26 cruises, you would think I would know some of this stuff, right? Lol. I am trying to lure my die hard RCI husband over to the world of Celebrity with this cruise.

Thanks for any help!

Please forgive if this has been addressed a gazillion times. This board has grown so big that it is nearly impossible to skim over and find something. We are sailing Eclipse in Jan. CC aft.

I am bringing my iPad onboard and am curious about coverage. I have a 3G plan now that kicks in whenever there is no wi-fi signal. What options will there be onboard for wi fi and will the 3G pick up at sea? It's through AT+T.

Also, what exactly is the Persian Garden/ relaxation room all about? Do you have to be AQ to go there?

Blu is only for AQ, but anyone can go to the spa cafe, right? Is that something one can just grab a quick snack at all day long?

I have a lot more questions.. After 26 cruises, you would think I would know some of this stuff, right? Lol. I am trying to lure my die hard RCI husband over to the world of Celebrity with this cruise.

Thanks for any help!

Hi,:) I will take the Aqua Spa Cafe question. It is open for

breakfast and lunch only. And yes, it is open to all cabin categories.

But no, it is not open all day long for a quick snack.

As for the Persian Gardens, it is a room with several heated ceramic loungers; there are floor to ceiling windows in the room looking out at the ocean. There is also a couple of scented steam rooms, a sauna and a rain shower in the Persian Gardens. If you are no Aqua Class, you can purchase a day pass (I think for $20) or a pass for the entire cruise (price varies based on length of cruise). I have also had luck negotiating a free day pass there when I book a spa treatment.

The Relaxation Room is just the spa's waiting room. There are cushioned chaise-lounge type chairs facing windows that look out the front of the ship. There is also some fruit infused water and tea available there. If you are not Aqua Class, you can hang out there before and after spa treatments. Some Aqua Class guests use the room for reading or napping.

I don't know about the 3G Ipad issue.

My wife and I switched over to Celebrity from RCI and quickly found that we overall have had much better experiences with Celebrity. The S-Class ships are amazing, so good chance you will convert your husband!

Have a great cruise. :)

We just finished a cruise on the Eclipse last Saturday and also had an aft cabin. My iPad worked flawlessly throughout the ship using wi-fi. 3G won't work when you are out to sea I understand, but we never had a wi-fi issue. We also found it to be quite a bit faster then on other ships.

Of course you pay for the wi-fi usage, but with coupons that wasn't an issue. Enjoy the Eclipse, it's a beautiful ship!

I was able to use the 3g on my Kindle on the Eclipse last week, but not all of the time. It definitely worked the last sea day. Through the experimental internet access on the Kindle, I was able to read my email. Amazon sent an message stating that they don't charge for the experimental access in foreign countries so that was good news.

Select and Classic Captain's Club members also receive coupons for internet, but for a percentage off the purchase of a package - no free minutes unless you are at the Elite tier. I believe that Select receives 25% off normal package prices and Classic 10%.

Well, I may just have to do without wi fi on this one, not an elite member yet. Most of my 26 cruises have been with other lines. I know on previous trips the Internet packages offered were fairly costly unless you had coupons. I'll probably be so busy taking in all this ship has to offer that I won't even care.

We brought two macbook pros, an iPhone and an ATT blackberry on Eclipse last week! We were first timers, so no super bargains, but there is a 15% off any internet package coupon in the daily on the first sea day. We used that to buy the cheapest package, which was about $25 for 50 minutes.

Contrary to what other posters have said, we had some bad experiences with wifi onboard. Many other passengers on our cruise were also furious in the iLounge. Whether we were in our cabin or the iLounge, the service is insanely slow (we knew that), but the real issue came on sea days when so many people were trying to login that the internet would go down and lock you out. This happened several times and was very frustrating. I wish we'd saved the $ and gone without for a few days. I don't know what itinerary you're doing, but we did the eastern. We got great and free 3G until we left San Juan and it came back on the last night as we neared Miami. Just make sure to turn on airplane mode in other ports because if it starts roaming, you'll rack up charges.

To further confirm, yes the Aqua Spa cafe is free to all and tasty. It's smaller than I expected (not quite as big as the pool grill) and has only 8 or so tables. The hours are more limited that other venues too. Maybe 7:30-10 for breakfast and 11:30 - 2:30 for lunch. Other times they just have beverages. That said we liked everything we tried there. I loved the many breakfast rolls they offered and poached fruits bar at lunch. They have some made-to-order stuff too. Other things like fruit and oatmeal are the same as the Oceanview buffet has.

Enjoy your cruise!

DC guy...such good info, thanks so much. We are doing western this time. I do remember that we had coverage as well, last time in San Juan. I have never been a fan of any of the Internet on any ship, though...always sluggish, even worse than dial up.

I was able to use the 3g on my Kindle on the Eclipse last week, but not all of the time. It definitely worked the last sea day. Through the experimental internet access on the Kindle, I was able to read my email. Amazon sent an message stating that they don't charge for the experimental access in foreign countries so that was good news.

Very interesting that you were able to access a 3G signal while at sea. I've used the wireless with my IPad, but have never had success with 3G on a ship unless we were in port. I'll have to be more diligent next time, which ports were you in on Eclipse? I'll be back on board 1-15 and would love to be able to use my 3G even if we have the free 90 minute coupon.

Happy cruising...Joanne

Our ports were st Marten, St Kitts and San Juan. The last sea day was when I had coverage much of the time. I had tried on another day and it had not worked. I could see land. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Very good to know, we are on the same itinerary....I'll give it a try! Thanks again for the info :)

Happy cruising....Joanne

A warning on the 3G coverage- you will find that you magically have cell coverage on these islands until you get your next cell bill. Try $4 and up per minute. My advice is to turn off the cells and any device that automatically pulls email ie Blackberry, iPhone etc .

Also, when you have coverage on the ship you are simply connecting to their on board network and you will also find a cell bill surprise. I think they call it "cellular at sea".

Archived