Pirate night - need costume?

flamejobgrrl

How long is your cruise? The shorter the cruise, the less number of people participate in pirate night. Even on the longer cruises, it's barely half/half participation. So, no you won't feel out of place, and I'm sure everyone will get a kick out of your wee one dressed for the occasion, though it's not necessary.

You'll find some folks go all out and some wear a pirate accessory (bandana, pirate type earring, etc), and some people do not participate at all.

Whatever you do, enjoy it, and don't forget to go to the pirate party on deck. It's one of my favorite nights on Disney ships. :)

We are headed on our first cruise as a family. Neither my husband and I are big joiners and our child is 10 months old when we sail. Will we look dorky if we are not dressed up as Pirates? Will it be cute enough to just do up our baby :)

I have never dressed up for pirate night. I save my floral shirt for that night so I look a bit more festive but that is about it :) My wife sometimes dresses up and my daughter (8 now) loves to dress up.

They do hand out bandannas at dinner so you can at least put them on and look a bit more "piratey" if you want to :)

Jim

I have never dressed up for pirate night. I save my floral shirt for that night so I look a bit more festive but that is about it :) My wife sometimes dresses up and my daughter (8 now) loves to dress up.

They do hand out bandannas at dinner so you can at least put them on and look a bit more "piratey" if you want to :)

Jim

Great point ... the dress for dinner on the Navigator specifies "Caribbean wear or Pirate." :)

My sister and I were on the Wonder in September for a 3-night, and we were among a ton of people dressed up in full pirate garb! We even wore it to dinner before the party, and while there were not as many people at dinner in costume as there were at the deck party, we did not feel at all out of place. Lots of folks cheered for people coming in dressed as pirates :D

I say go for it, you'll have fun! On a Disney ship, no one is going to look at you funny for dressing up in the spirit.

We just finished sailing the Wonder and our six year old dressed up, but we did not and we were certainly not left out! There were pirate costumes of all sorts on a variety of aged people, so it is certainly up to you as to how much you want to participate. Some only had an eye patch and a sword, while others were dressed up head-to-toe. Either way...EVERYONE had fun! :) Hope this helps...

• 5 years later...

You certainly don't have to, but it's fun (especially if you're sailing after Oct 31 and have gone into the Halloween pop-up stores that seem to be everywhere the last few years, and can purchase pirate costumes at 50-75% off).

On my family's first Disney cruise, I packed my tuxedo for Formal Night, and just wore the bandana that they hand out at dinner for Pirate Night.

On our second cruise, having seen on our earlier sailing how few tuxedos were worn and how many pirate costumes were, and having finite luggage space, I decided to swap being James Bond for being Captain Jack. Both my wife and daughter wore pirate costumes as well.