Star Flyer Costa Rica - just back...

mike x ftc

Hi Mike,

We are going at the end of January. Is the snorkeling worth while

or is the water not calm enough to get a good experience. Can

you tell us about any shore excursions you participated in, the

good and the not so good? Know that Ximena is the cruise director.

Who is the head bartender, Lawford perhaps?

Thanks!

Deanna

Hi, we were on the Southern route to Panama. We got the distinct impression that someone somewhere in the background had not done their homework. We sailed down to Panama originally going to Isla Coiba, then the daily newsletter came out stating it was Islas Parida, but in fact we ended up in Isla Gomez with no real explanation, and obviously no trips. It was a lovely beach but that was it, and unfortunately it rained all day for us.

Later in the week we were supposed to go to Curu in the morning and Isla Tortuga in the afternoon, but then Ximena (who was brilliant) explained it was impossible to get to one then the other in the time allowed. So you had to choose one or the other - and no sign of a beach BBQ as promised.

The snorkelling was not so good anywhere really, some places it was no go due to crocodiles and others the swell was too great and just not much to see, but the beaches were stunning. They did recommend beaches where it would be good that were taxi journeys away if you really wanted to, which is fair enough. There was very little else in the way of water sports offered on any of the days.

We trip to the national park in Quepos and it was really good, the tour guide was so knowledgeable and pointed out loads of wildlife we would never have seen, he did one of the trips in Drake Bay which was highly rated by those who went.

I think the head bartender was Lawford, it sounds familier. A few people that had been on the Royal recognised him - he pretended to remember them!! We enjoyed the trip very much, saw some lovely places and met some lovely people. I'm sure you'll enjoy the itinerary.

Thanks Mike!

Sounds like they are still a bit unorganized, but good enough to still have a good time.

Hopefully they get Coiba & Cano sorted out. We were really looking forward to diving in those two locations.

Did you happen to cross paths with any whales or dolphin pods?

Mike

Hi Mike,

I didn't hear of anyone who did any of the diving excursions but i'm sure they'll be great. It seemed a bit hap-hazzard at times but it just didn't seem to matter - we were relaxed, having a great time on a lovely ship.

On the sea day down to Panama we saw loads of dolphins and turtles bobbing to the surface which was amazing - but alas, no whales.

I've come to the realization long ago to just take it as it comes.....one reason we love SC.....the relaxation is more important than planning, planning & more planning. If it happens, it happens. And if it doesn't, I'll climb the mast or hang out on the nets:D As long as I show up & the ship shows up & we hit the seas, everything will be fine!

Gail had mentioned that the ship was only abut half booked on her trip & mostly US & Canadians. How bout on yours? We look forward to mingling with the different nationalities.

Mike

Mike

There were only 96 passengers out of a possible 170, which was great for us, plenty of deck space and choice of tables in the dining room. There was a good mix of Brits, a dozen or so, a similar amount of Germans, a couple of French and then a mix of Canadians and Americans.

Archived