What's included - New to MSC

Snuffie

We have dear friends who live in Fort Lauderdale who are taking their first two day cruise on Poesia.

We would like answers to the following questions:

1) Does carry-on (19-21") need to be checked as luggage

2) May you bring on bottled water? If so, can you put in carry-on?

3) What beverages are free?

4) Is room service free? Can you even get room service on board?

5) What is the cost for a glass of house wine at a bar or in the restaurant?

6) In the main dining room, is it open seating?

Many thanks for you answers.

Hi Snuffie

I've answered the questions that I can but haven't been on a US sailing this year so will need to leave some for others to answer for you

We have dear friends who live in Fort Lauderdale who are taking their first two day cruise on Poesia.

We would like answers to the following questions:

1) Does carry-on (19-21") need to be checked as luggage

It is entirely up to you. It can be carried onboard yourself or checked in. I always take my carry on, onboard myself (then again I always also have a much larger checked bag too)

2) May you bring on bottled water? If so, can you put in carry-on?

Officially they don't permit any food or beverages to be brought onboard. They are very bad at enforcing that rule and most seem to be able to bring drinks onboard without any issue. If you are unlucky and get someone who does decide to keep to the rules, then they will confiscate it and return it to you at the end of the cruise

3) What beverages are free?

4) Is room service free? Can you even get room service on board?

Room service is available 24 hours a day but is very limited. (soup, sandwiches, salad, fruit etc) Room service breakfast (only continental) is always free. I believe it is free on US sailings but I'm not certain

5) What is the cost for a glass of house wine at a bar or in the restaurant?

6) In the main dining room, is it open seating?

Only at breakfast and lunch. At dinner it is fixed traditional dining with 2 sittings and allocated table

Many thanks for you answers.

Thanks so much for answering most of my questions. Now, another question. One of my friends is on Nutrisystem. May he bring his own food (packaged, sealed) on board. The cruise is only 2 days but he may want to enjoy his breakfast and lunch packaged food along with their fresh fruit and salads.

I know, silly question about cruising and not eating their food but have to ask this question.

You would have to have your TA ask that question about nutrisystem food. I would think for 2 days he/she can take advantage of the wonderful salads there and find many low calorie alternatives. I would just guess they would not make the boxed meal.

You can carry on the smaller carry ons or leave them with the porter. Bags show up very early on MSC. Pack your swimsuit in a tote or under your shorts so you can enjoy the pool if you do check your bag with the porter.

Yes people do bring on water but why??? You can go to any bar and ask for ice water and get it. We do bring a large water bottle for this some of the times.

Coffee( not the specialty ones) and tea is always free at each meal. Juice and ice tea also. If you want bottled sparkling water there is a charge.

As already answered, the main dining room is open for breakfast and lunch on deck 5 only. As you come into the dining room you can be seated at the next available table or ask to be placed with others at a larger table.

For dinner you will have fixed time.Early is at 5:30 and late is at 8.

The prices of drinks are very reasonable and they include the tip and the tax.

Room service is free but has a very limited menu.

Pizza is wonderful in the buffet area in the evenings.

Make sure you go to the shows, they are wonderful.

They have a free turkish steamroom( beautiful inlaid tile) in the spa, along with free saunas. In that area there are also 3 hot tubs to use which are indoors overlooking the ocean. You bring you sea pass and give it to the reception desk and they give you a key to use for your stuff in the lockers in the mens or ladies room. When you step out of the hot tub a staff member mops up the wet spots. She works from 7 am to 7 pm, or when the spa closes.

Around the pool with the stage they have the games, trivia, dancing and workouts. The other pool is quiet.

They have wonderful gelato at a very reasonable price in the mojito bar on the other side of the bar. This is the bar mid ship on deck 13 in between the pools. Smoking is allowed on the port side of the ship and at this bar area. Free soft serve is also found near the buffet area.

Enjoy! I love MSC and the ship is beautiful as is the staff.

Snuffie.... as your friends are only cruising 2 days, wouldn't they want to shelve the diet for 2 days and enjoy the cruise food?

Every meal in the MDR has a low-calorie option.... and the buffet has wonderful fruits and salads at every meal!

I can't see that anyone would put on a lot of weight in 2 days.... especially as there is so much chioce!!

I'm sure your friends'll have a great cruise!!

Cam.... I didn't know about the free sauna and steamroom... are they single-sex, or mixed?

Would really enjoy it with DH!

I guess that's another bonus of cruising MSC.... you have to get a spa membership or pay extra on other cruiselines!!

I'll definitely try it next time!

Archived