Question about NYC Cabs to NJ

HoopsandYoYo

back to the original question, except for Newark Airport, NY licensed yellow cabs are not required to take you to NJ. They are required to take you to EWR.(for the meter plus $15.00{this pays them for coming back empty as they cannot legally pick up a fare in NJ} plus round trip tolls and tip). I have asked the NY City TLC to have the same requirement to the Bayonne Cruise terminal but they haven't done it yet....

A NYC licensed limo/car service(livery services) will happily do it for a set fee. some of these are listed above. Generally if you do it through the hotel they will charge more as they cut a cut of the fare.

see http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/passenger_info.shtml

1. JFK is awful.

2. You do not want or need a car in New York City. You will go mad.

3. Next time, fly into Newark if you are leaving from NJ; crossing state lines here is a PITA when it comes to taxis.

Had to laugh out loud at sentence #2!!

I think I may take 138east's suggestion of touring the city after our cruise until it's time to head for the airport. Luggage was the concern but it seems that Schwartz Travel will hold your luggage....is there a charge for that 138east?

And then we will spend the day at the airport. By the way, what is JFK like?

That's quite a general question, but perhaps I'll take a stab at it.

JFK is unlike virtually all other airports in the country in that all of the terminal buildings are distinctly styled and generally controlled by the dominant carrier serving that terminal. All together there are presently eight passenger terminals, as follows.

1 - Jointly owned by Air France, Japan Airlines, Korean Air, and Lufthansa. The terminal has its own website, http://www.jfkterminalone.com. The terminal opened in 1998, replacing the original Eastern Airlines terminal that was demolished.

2 - Owned by Delta Air Lines. Originally owned by Northwest Airlines. It was built in 1962, has the least interesting architecture of any terminal at JFK, and is not in the best repair.

3 - Owned by Delta Air Lines. Originally this was the Pan American World Airways "Worldport," built in 1960. Its distinguishing "flying-saucer" roof at one time made this a first class facility, but over the years its architecture has been ignored and has been divided up in worse fashion than most multiplex cinemas. Delta intends to demolish this terminal after an expansion of Terminal 4.

4 - Owned by the Port Authority. The terminal opened in 2001, replacing the original International Arrivals Building. This is the only terminal in which AirTrain has a station inside the terminal building.

5 - Owned by JetBlue. Originally this was the Trans World Airlines Flight Center, built in 1962, the best known terminal architecturally (designed by Eero Saarinen), and now preserved as an historic landmark. A new JetBlue terminal building was built in 2008 behind the original TWA terminal building (thereby blocking the airfield view from the TWA terminal).

6 - Owned by JetBlue. Originally this was the National Airlines "Sundrome," built in 1970. It has since been closed and abandoned, and is to be demolished to allow for expansion of Terminal 5.

7 - Owned by British Airways. Originally this was built for BOAC in the early 1970s. Slightly more interesting than Terminal 2, it nonetheless feels rather claustrophobic inside.

8 - Owned by American Airlines. Opened fully in 2007, it replaced two old terminals, both demolished (8 - American Airlines and 9 - United Air Lines).

Since each terminal is distinct, there cannot be any general guidance for travel at the airport since facilities and arrangements at each terminal differ.

Originally, JFK was intended to be a village in which the architecture of each terminal would allow the carriers to express themselves. The central terminal area was (and is) quite large in area, the terminals were set apart from each other, and a circular ground level roadway went around in front of each terminal. In the interior of the circular roadway were large ground level parking lots. Thus, the airport was open and had an expansive view.

Then the engineers took over. They built interchanges, parking garages, and shoehorned in other facilities such that the airport no longer has that pleasant expansive feel. Instead it feels as a jumble of roadways, with no one in charge overall.

As for spending time at the airport, you will likely come to rely upon the AirTrain system. I suggest using it to visit each of the terminals and seeing for yourself this unique airport. Using AirTrain to travel to each terminal is free. You can also walk between some of the terminals as well (but not to or from Terminal 8, since there are impassable expressways on both sides of it). At a minimum I would take a gander at the TWA Flight Center.

If you want to see a little bit of Queens, you could also take AirTrain to the Jamaica station (there's a $5 fare for doing so). The trip is very quick, and so after your luggage is checked in this is an easy excursion. The AirTrain station in Jamaica is on the corner of Sutphin Blvd & 94 Av. One block south is an old-style luncheonette, Maxie's, that I've been to many times for pretty decent pastrami and chocolate egg creams. Otherwise, go two blocks north on Sutphin Blvd to Jamaica Av, and turn right (east) on Jamaica Av for the main shopping strip (which extends all the way to 168 St). You'll pass enroute the Rufus King mansion (an interesting stop if open). If you want to take a break and sit or read, the main Queens Library is on Merrick Blvd, two blocks north of Jamaica Av. For many other activities visit the Jamaica Business Improvement District website, http://www.jamaicacenter.org.

The other off-airport AirTrain station, Howard Beach, does not offer as many diversions as Jamaica. There's also a $5 fare to exit into Howard Beach, but there really is not much of a center to the community. You really have to walk north to 157 Av, then several blocks west to Cross Bay Blvd to encounter much business. But even then Cross Bay Blvd is a collection of highway strip stores, none of which have much interest to me (other than New Park Pizza).

If there are other airport-type activities in which you would like information, do post details. Hope this helps.

I agree with 138. Get yourself to Manhattan, store your luggage at Schwartz Travel and then get do what you choose, whether a museum, a HoHo, walk in Central Park, or shopping. JFK is huge and crowded, but as far as facilities, once you've been to one airport, you've been to them all. ;) I would not waste my time in Jamaica, Queens shopping district. There is something worth visiting in Jamaica, the wildlife sanctuary, but you probably need a car for that. jmo.

That's quite a general question, but perhaps I'll take a stab at it.

JFK is unlike virtually all other airports in the country in that all of the terminal buildings are distinctly styled and generally controlled by the dominant carrier serving that terminal. All together there are presently eight passenger terminals, as follows.

1 - Jointly owned by Air France, Japan Airlines, Korean Air, and Lufthansa. The terminal has its own website, http://www.jfkterminalone.com. The terminal opened in 1998, replacing the original Eastern Airlines terminal that was demolished.

2 - Owned by Delta Air Lines. Originally owned by Northwest Airlines. It was built in 1962, has the least interesting architecture of any terminal at JFK, and is not in the best repair.

3 - Owned by Delta Air Lines. Originally this was the Pan American World Airways "Worldport," built in 1960. Its distinguishing "flying-saucer" roof at one time made this a first class facility, but over the years its architecture has been ignored and has been divided up in worse fashion than most multiplex cinemas. Delta intends to demolish this terminal after an expansion of Terminal 4.

4 - Owned by the Port Authority. The terminal opened in 2001, replacing the original International Arrivals Building. This is the only terminal in which AirTrain has a station inside the terminal building.

5 - Owned by JetBlue. Originally this was the Trans World Airlines Flight Center, built in 1962, the best known terminal architecturally (designed by Eero Saarinen), and now preserved as an historic landmark. A new JetBlue terminal building was built in 2008 behind the original TWA terminal building (thereby blocking the airfield view from the TWA terminal).

6 - Owned by JetBlue. Originally this was the National Airlines "Sundrome," built in 1970. It has since been closed and abandoned, and is to be demolished to allow for expansion of Terminal 5.

7 - Owned by British Airways. Originally this was built for BOAC in the early 1970s. Slightly more interesting than Terminal 2, it nonetheless feels rather claustrophobic inside.

8 - Owned by American Airlines. Opened fully in 2007, it replaced two old terminals, both demolished (8 - American Airlines and 9 - United Air Lines).

Since each terminal is distinct, there cannot be any general guidance for travel at the airport since facilities and arrangements at each terminal differ.

Originally, JFK was intended to be a village in which the architecture of each terminal would allow the carriers to express themselves. The central terminal area was (and is) quite large in area, the terminals were set apart from each other, and a circular ground level roadway went around in front of each terminal. In the interior of the circular roadway were large ground level parking lots. Thus, the airport was open and had an expansive view.

Then the engineers took over. They built interchanges, parking garages, and shoehorned in other facilities such that the airport no longer has that pleasant expansive feel. Instead it feels as a jumble of roadways, with no one in charge overall.

As for spending time at the airport, you will likely come to rely upon the AirTrain system. I suggest using it to visit each of the terminals and seeing for yourself this unique airport. Using AirTrain to travel to each terminal is free. You can also walk between some of the terminals as well (but not to or from Terminal 8, since there are impassable expressways on both sides of it). At a minimum I would take a gander at the TWA Flight Center.

If you want to see a little bit of Queens, you could also take AirTrain to the Jamaica station (there's a $5 fare for doing so). The trip is very quick, and so after your luggage is checked in this is an easy excursion. The AirTrain station in Jamaica is on the corner of Sutphin Blvd & 94 Av. One block south is an old-style luncheonette, Maxie's, that I've been to many times for pretty decent pastrami and chocolate egg creams. Otherwise, go two blocks north on Sutphin Blvd to Jamaica Av, and turn right (east) on Jamaica Av for the main shopping strip (which extends all the way to 168 St). You'll pass enroute the Rufus King mansion (an interesting stop if open). If you want to take a break and sit or read, the main Queens Library is on Merrick Blvd, two blocks north of Jamaica Av. For many other activities visit the Jamaica Business Improvement District website, http://www.jamaicacenter.org.

The other off-airport AirTrain station, Howard Beach, does not offer as many diversions as Jamaica. There's also a $5 fare to exit into Howard Beach, but there really is not much of a center to the community. You really have to walk north to 157 Av, then several blocks west to Cross Bay Blvd to encounter much business. But even then Cross Bay Blvd is a collection of highway strip stores, none of which have much interest to me (other than New Park Pizza).

If there are other airport-type activities in which you would like information, do post details. Hope this helps.

Thank you!! You are a wealth of information! That's very interesting and I will print out your message for reference while we are there.

Thanks again,

H.

Get yourself to Manhattan, store your luggage at Schwartz Travel and then go do what you choose, whether a museum, a HoHo, walk in Central Park, or shopping.

Probably the best option if practicable.

JFK is huge and crowded, but as far as facilities, once you've been to one airport, you've been to them all.
With the newer terminal buildings, that is largely true. Nonetheless, architecture and history buffs will find interesting things at JFK. Most certainly aviation and photography buffs will have a great time there, especially with the mix of international and domestic carriers that make for great pictures.

I would not waste my time in Jamaica, Queens shopping district. There is something worth visiting in Jamaica, the wildlife sanctuary, but you probably need a car for that.
There might be better shopping areas in the region, but none are as convenient to JFK as downtown Jamaica. If shopping, history, or just urban walking is of interest, it really is the best place to pass time.

The wildlife sanctuary, while worthwhile, is not in Jamaica. Rather, it is in Broad Channel, an island within Jamaica Bay. It requires a bit more work to reach (but not unreasonably so), and I had not considered it as a diversion for people otherwise stuck at JFK. To get there one would ride the AirTrain system to Howard Beach, then ride the "A" train one stop southward to Broad Channel. It is then a little less than a one mile walk to the refuge (walk north on West Rd, bearing left onto 6 Rd; turn right on Cross Bay Blvd; turn left into the wildlife refuge).

I haven't done JFK in many years - I can't imagine in my wildest dreams spending an entire day there. Why don't you arrange transportation into Manhattan to Schwartz Travel where you can check your luggage for the day. Spend some time in Manhattan - Times Square, Macy's, Empire State, Rockefeller Center - you can be indoors or out. Then pick up your luggage and take a cab to JFK - 10 pm is a really late flight.

I've taken your advice...Private car transportation from JFK to our Jersey hotel before the cruise. Private car service for pickup after the cruise, into Manhattan to Schwartz Travel to check our baggage for the day and then decide if we want to do the hopon hopoff bus tour of downtown or just wander around for the day.

I've never had to deal with hiring a private car service and would not have thought of it, so we are very thankful for your help!!

Private car services fulfill a unique need in NYC where many many people don't own cars and also don't live where cabs are just cruising the nearby streets. Glad to hear you are all set - have a wonderful cruise on the Explorer. I will be on her Feb. 6.

Private car services fulfill a unique need in NYC where many many people don't own cars and also don't live where cabs are just cruising the nearby streets. Glad to hear you are all set - have a wonderful cruise on the Explorer. I will be on her Feb. 6.

I'll be packing a journal and hope to do a review of our cruise on this board, when we get back.

Thanks for all the practical advice!

Helga :) :)

Archived