Question about NYC Cabs to NJ

HoopsandYoYo

When we arrive at JFK airport on Jan 1 for our cruise out of Cape Liberty, we plan to take a cab to our NJ hotel as we will be one day early.

I've read that "A New York City taxi driver is not required to take passengers out of the city to New Jersey, so you must ask first".

Is that really true?

:confused:H.

It's been over a decade but I had a helluva time getting a NYC cab willing to go to Jersey City once, then we did find a guy willing and it took FOREVER and cost a fortune and he got lost. Then we found out there is a $1 PATH train that would've gotten us there in a jiffy. I'd ask someone local about the best way to get to your hotel. The hotel might know.

I've already checked with the hotel but they weren't able to help. The idea of using public transit is somewhat daunting, especially with luggage. Weather and the fact that it is a holiday is another consideration.

I wonder why it is a problem to get transportation from the city to to New Jersey?

Thanks though for your response.

H.

Definitely book a car service. We were just discussing this on the East Coast board for someone potentially going from LaGuardia to Bayonne, NJ or Staten Island.

Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com/

Carmel Limo http://www.carmellimo.com/

Where are you staying in NJ? There could be some cab/public transit options but you would have to be able to manage your luggage.

No, a NY cab does not have to take you as it is out of state, and he is not licenced to pick up a ride in NJ, therefore he returns empty so he loses money.

I'd get a town car - blackexecutivecabs.com are highly recommended on these boards- we used them too and were very happy. You also pay a fixed fare so if you are stuck in traffic you are not watching the meter.

Otherwise you could use the PATH from 33rd to get you to the NJ side of the water and then catch a NJ cab down to the pier, but we did this once and the NJ cab drivers didn't seem to know where Cape Liberty was anyway!!!

Helga - I checked your posts and see that you are staying at the Westin in Jersey City. This hotel is a block from a Path Station. The reality is that you could save yourselves a bit of money if you take a NYC cab to Manhattan (fixed rate $45 + tolls + tip) and Path to NJ - $1.75/pp.

On weekends and holidays the Path train routes are different. What would make most sense for you would be to take a cab to Herald Square and take the Hoboken/Journal Square train to the Newport Station.

34 St-Herald Square

Elevator at Herald Center building on west side of Broadway south of 34th Street. Note: Ramps are not ADA accessible, use elevators.

Connections: M4, M5 (NB), M7 (NB), M16, M34, Q32; AMTRAK, Long Island Rail Road, New Jersey Transit</SPAN>

The good news is that the Northeast is getting bad weather right now and it is supposed to warm up at the end of the week - the high next Saturday is projected at 41 degrees for NYC.

It sounds as though you are planning to arrive at JFK on New Years Eve DAY. In the best of circumstances it would be difficult to get a metered NYC cab at JFK to cross state lines (as stated above) into New Jersey. But on New Years Eve Day, almost impossible. Private cars and limos will be in short supply also. Contact the recommended services posted by others TODAY!

Another alternative would be to take a Super Shuttle Van (google them) from JFK to Newark Airport. Then you can take a NEW JERSEY CAB to your hotel in Jersey City. Thats no more than a 15 minute ride - if that.

And finally, does RCI have transfers? Since it its a holiday weekend that may be a good choice.

It sounds as though you are planning to arrive at JFK on New Years Eve DAY. In the best of circumstances it would be difficult to get a metered NYC cab at JFK to cross state lines (as stated above) into New Jersey. But on New Years Eve Day, almost impossible. Private cars and limos will be in short supply also. Contact the recommended services posted by others TODAY!

Another alternative would be to take a Super Shuttle Van (google them) from JFK to Newark Airport. Then you can take a NEW JERSEY CAB to your hotel in Jersey City. Thats no more than a 15 minute ride - if that.

And finally, does RCI have transfers? Since it its a holiday weekend that may be a good choice.

No, RCI is only providing transfers if we would have chosen to arrive at the Newark Airport. But that would have meant booking a flight with connections.

Good thing we considered that and didn't, as the snow storm on the East Coast is affecting the Toronto airport where we would have had to transfer and possibly face delayed or cancelled flights!!

Your advice is very helpful and I will check out the Super Shuttle Van.

Thankyou!

No, a NY cab does not have to take you as it is out of state, and he is not licenced to pick up a ride in NJ, therefore he returns empty so he loses money.

I'd get a town car - blackexecutivecabs.com are highly recommended on these boards- we used them too and were very happy. You also pay a fixed fare so if you are stuck in traffic you are not watching the meter.

Otherwise you could use the PATH from 33rd to get you to the NJ side of the water and then catch a NJ cab down to the pier, but we did this once and the NJ cab drivers didn't seem to know where Cape Liberty was anyway!!!

AlbertRoss -

That's good information and makes sense of course, concerning the cabs.

I appreciate your recommendation and will check with the town car service if for some reason the shuttle van recommended by baggal doesn't work for us.

Thank you :)

Helga - I checked your posts and see that you are staying at the Westin in Jersey City. This hotel is a block from a Path Station. The reality is that you could save yourselves a bit of money if you take a NYC cab to Manhattan (fixed rate $45 + tolls + tip) and Path to NJ - $1.75/pp.

On weekends and holidays the Path train routes are different. What would make most sense for you would be to take a cab to Herald Square and take the Hoboken/Journal Square train to the Newport Station.

34 St-Herald Square

Elevator at Herald Center building on west side of Broadway south of 34th Street. Note: Ramps are not ADA accessible, use elevators.

Connections: M4, M5 (NB), M7 (NB), M16, M34, Q32; AMTRAK, Long Island Rail Road, New Jersey Transit</SPAN>

The good news is that the Northeast is getting bad weather right now and it is supposed to warm up at the end of the week - the high next Saturday is projected at 41 degrees for NYC.

138east:

When I first posted my concern, I thought about contacting you but the internet was a problem -very slow- since I know from reading these boards that you are very helpful with information on almost anything concerning travel!!

I am printing out your suggestions in the event that if all else fails we still have options.

You are much appreciated.

Helga

Try to get a car service to take you from JFK to the Westin in Jersey City. The Westin is about 5 minutes from the Holland Tunnel exit in NJ, so you should be able to get a car service that knows where that is.

You can check out the shuttle from JFK to Newark Airport, but IMO it is the long way to go. The NJ cabs between towns are essentially unregulated - a cab from the airport to the port in Bayonne runs about $50. The Jersey City Westin is even further. I would estimate $55-60. This would make a car service from JFK to Jersey City competitive with the shuttle from JFK to Newark Airport and a cab to Jersey City.

If you are not finding a car service, post on the East Coast Departures board to get the attention of the New Yorkers who can make alternative recommendations.

Try to get a car service to take you from JFK to the Westin in Jersey City. The Westin is about 5 minutes from the Holland Tunnel exit in NJ, so you should be able to get a car service that knows where that is.

You can check out the shuttle from JFK to Newark Airport, but IMO it is the long way to go. The NJ cabs between towns are essentially unregulated - a cab from the airport to the port in Bayonne runs about $50. The Jersey City Westin is even further. I would estimate $55-60. This would make a car service from JFK to Jersey City competitive with the shuttle from JFK to Newark Airport and a cab to Jersey City.

If you are not finding a car service, post on the East Coast Departures board to get the attention of the New Yorkers who can make alternative recommendations.

I've just checked the Shuttle Service and it is not available (guess I'm too late). Will have to see about a private car service.

I'll let you know what I end up with.

H.

Get a car service, it'll probably be cheaper than a cab. Also I have found that even those who live in North Jersey don't know where Cape Liberty is. Many refer to it by the city name "Bayonne" or the cruise terminal in Bayonne. Even cabs and shuttle services in North Jersey go by Bayonne, Cruise Terminal Bayonne or Port in Bayonne.

Managed to make arrangements for a Private Car Service thru AirLink, more expensive but it's door to door and worth it not having to use public transportation (especially after flying all night).

I did try for a shuttle van from JFK to Newark Airport but the Customer Service person at Airlink said they don't provide shuttle service between NY airports and the airport in NJ.

Sincere thanks to everyone for your responses.

We've managed to arrange transportation from JFK to our Jersey Hotel and then getting to the Bayonne Cruise terminal should be ok, but, will we have the same problems(Jersey Cabs not being licensed for NY) when we return from our cruise in mid January?

I'm assuming that cabs will be waiting when we return and debark the ship, but will they be willing to drive us to JFK airport?

Should I be making arrangements now, before the cruise?

Previous cruisers...any suggestions?

Thanks,

H.

You should arrange a car service now. It's my understanding that only Bayonne cabs can do random pickups at the Bayonne port. I'm sure you can get someone to take you to JFK at the last minute, but who knows how much they will charge you? What time is your flight?

You should arrange a car service now. It's my understanding that only Bayonne cabs can do random pickups at the Bayonne port. I'm sure you can get someone to take you to JFK at the last minute, but who knows how much they will charge you? What time is your flight?

Hi Carol,

Our flight isn't until 10 pm at JFK, so not too worried about missing it. Ideally it would be nice to have a vehicle and spend some time in the city before heading to the airport. But we are not brave enough to deal with all the Highways, biways and expressways!!! Also weather is a big factor.

I was hoping that there would be buses available at the pier for transport to the various airports. You would think so when a ship of 3,000 passengers arrives in port. But I've been reading the other thread on cabs etc and it seems to be quite the complicated procedure to get to and from airports.

I've copy and pasted your advice on car services and will spend some time today checking out the rates and probably reserving one. And then we will spend the day at the airport. By the way, what is JFK like?

Thanks for your information,

:)Helga

I haven't done JFK in many years - I can't imagine in my wildest dreams spending an entire day there. Why don't you arrange transportation into Manhattan to Schwartz Travel where you can check your luggage for the day. Spend some time in Manhattan - Times Square, Macy's, Empire State, Rockefeller Center - you can be indoors or out. Then pick up your luggage and take a cab to JFK - 10 pm is a really late flight.

Archived