Need Advice re Magic Repositioning Cruise

WendyJo

We are thinking of going to Barcelona, Spain to pick up the Magic's last European cruise before it heads home to Galveston on November 13. When I checked last night, it is possible to pay as little as $799 for a 16 day transatlantic cruise! HOWEVER......When I checked one way airfare from McAllen, TX to Barcelona it is around $1900--one way! :eek:

Roundtrip fare is as low as $800. Here is my question:

Could we book a roundtrip airfare and just not show up for the return flight? Or is there another way to get around paying almost $2000 one way--for one person?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

You could. The airlines don't like it and could try to charge you the difference (breach of contract), but don't (YMMV).

Cruise air through Carnival from Houston is relatively cheap - less than the $800 last I checked.

Thanks--I didn't even think about asking Carnival's price for airfare!

We're currently booked on that cruise but are going to have to cancel. But we were just getting ready to book air/hotel through Carnival.......several people from the roll call have done that. You only get to go in one day early and they pick the hotel, but 1 way air/hotel and transfers to the hotel and then to the pier were running people between $600 to $700 bucks which is a great price.....

The bad part is you don't know what airline or flight you are going to be on until about a month before you leave.

You should checkout the roll call.......it's been up for most of the year and is very active......it sounds like a great group of CC people are going to beon the ship (more than 60).......

Sadly, we'll have to wait for our 1st TA when the Breeze comes out.......but maybe by then we can afford to do what we wanted to all along which is do the last Med cruise and B2B it with the TA.........

We are on the ta cruise on the Magic and we did book our air thru carnival and you can go 2 days before the cruise. You do have to stay at the hotel carnival has chosen. We are at the Renaissance barcelona airport hotel.Our pkg. for room and transfers came to $359.96 for 2 people for 2 nights. airfare was $1358.00 from Detroit for 2. We were told all transfers were included. The hotel even has free shuttle to different tourist areas in Barcelona. We usually book our own air but this was too good to pass up and we feel safer having carnival responsible for our arrangements since we will be in a foreign country.

We are thinking of going to Barcelona, Spain to pick up the Magic's last European cruise before it heads home to Galveston on November 13. When I checked last night, it is possible to pay as little as $799 for a 16 day transatlantic cruise! HOWEVER......When I checked one way airfare from McAllen, TX to Barcelona it is around $1900--one way! :eek:

Roundtrip fare is as low as $800. Here is my question:

Could we book a roundtrip airfare and just not show up for the return flight? Or is there another way to get around paying almost $2000 one way--for one person?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

this past summer..in Reverse....paid $856, RT instead of $1400 OW.. I'll be on WB repo, and personally get DH's interline cheepy rate, they have no way of knowing you wont return..after WAAAAAY over charging for extra bags, of pal...they refunded her the other 1/2 of the airfare, as the agent noticed she didnt return, and couldnt refund bag fare..not the usual ending, but she just told them she didnto wish to return and stayed in Florida

• 3 weeks later...

Yes you can just buy a round trip ticket and then not use the other half. The airlines don't like it but they live with it. An easier way is to use Air Berlin. They sell one way tickets for about four hundred dollars depending where you are traveling from. Try having a good time and fly from the USA to Berlin stay a few days and then go on to barcelona. The fare is around $550. Same for Paris or London

Or...you can do what we do. Book a round trip, use half for one transatlantic cruise and then book the other half way down the line and use it for a reverse transatlantic!

ie: Miami to Barcelona transatlantic- one flight to get back from Barcelona

Barcelona to Miami return transatlantic (or any other one coming back)- use the flight to get to Barcelona.

Win win for all!

If not, just dump the other half of the flight. We do it and have had no problems.

Amy

Archived