Car Rental to port

TennGirl615

We will be driving from Nashville to Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise in May. Just have a question. Normally we take our own car but we are looking into renting a car. Not sure exactly how that all works. Do we drop the car off at the port? Not even sure if theres anywhere to drop it off or would we have to drop it off at the airport and then get a shuttle? I couldnt imagine parking it for the 6 days because that would obviously just be a waste of money. And also not sure of how we would get another rental back home. Probably a dumb question but Im not sure how it all works. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Not sure exactly in Ft. Lauderdale but we are looking at renting a car in Houston to get to Galveston. With the price of the hotels around there being reasonable and a lot of them include a weeks parking during a cruise and shuttle to and from the port. I also found that the car rental for our whole 10 day vacation was cheaper than the shuttle/taxi costs that we would probably incur.

I would look into a hotel that might offer parking and then you can just keep the car and get going home right away after the cruise.

So you are talking about two one way rentals. One way rentals come with a large fee. You would probably save money by paying for parking. Unless you can talk them into waiving the fee since you can return the car yourself on your return rental. Also check with the rental car location because not all locations have shuttles to the port. I know with Thrifty the airport location doesn't shuttle to the port. They do have a second location (2400 Miami Rd) less than 3 miles from the terminal that does shuttle. If you do return a car to the airport location. The cab fare to Port Everglades is only $15.

I have done many one way car rentals and haven't been charged any large fees. I currently have a rental from Ft Myers to Miami and a midsized car with taxes is costing us $23... total.

Oh and yes they have a shuttle from the airport shuttle return to the port for free.

We will be driving from Nashville to Ft. Lauderdale for our cruise in May. Just have a question. Normally we take our own car but we are looking into renting a car. Not sure exactly how that all works. Do we drop the car off at the port? Not even sure if theres anywhere to drop it off or would we have to drop it off at the airport and then get a shuttle? I couldnt imagine parking it for the 6 days because that would obviously just be a waste of money. And also not sure of how we would get another rental back home. Probably a dumb question but Im not sure how it all works. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Depending on how many of you there are I'm not sure it wouldn't be cheaper to fly Southwest to FLL. One way rentals to Florida can sometimes be expensive that time of year. The rental car companies are trying to move cars back north after Spring Break. Then you have to buy gas, food along the way and maybe even a hotel room unless you plan to drive the 900 miles straight through. Gas alone would be over $100 each way.

I have done many one way car rentals and haven't been charged any large fees. I currently have a rental from Ft Myers to Miami and a midsized car with taxes is costing us $23... total.

Oh and yes they have a shuttle from the airport shuttle return to the port for free.

That's nothing close to what she is asking. While Florida car rental companies are trying to get cars out of Florida after Spring Break she wants to add to their problems.

Archived