Athens Transportation Question

ssbeagle

We stayed at the AVA Hotel right handy in the Plaka area. Made things very handy for nearby things at the Acropolis, plus shopping and dining in the super charming Plaka. Love both the hotel and the area. Things were just around the corner and you could walk easily without needing a cab much (except for coming from the hotel and going to the cruise port).

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 28,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hi Terry,

We are also staying at the AVA for 2 nights pre cruise. Can you recommend any nearby places to buy wine for the cruise? Any tips about the AVA or surrounds? nvajan11@gmail.com. Thanks!

Here is another that I read recommendations on. http://www.athenstaxi.org/ Paul.... must be the "other" famous taxi driver. I haven't contacted him yet re: pricing.

The regular taxi that you get at the airport costs 35Euro into Athens. George said he would meet you inside the airport at the info center and would hold a sign with your name on it. I imagine any private taxi you arrange will do the same. For me, after travelling 24 hours, that is worth something. Both lived for extended periods in the US, so there won't be a language barrier.

Try searching for threads recommending them. I found quite a few, but didn't keep the links.

It is worth 20-25 euro more just to have him meet you inside the airport rather than to step just outside the baggage claim and hail a cab? :eek:

It is worth 20-25 euro more just to have him meet you inside the airport rather than to step just outside the baggage claim and hail a cab? :eek:

I do not believe you will find a taxi in Athens that holds 4 large suitcases + 2 carry on, plus seat 4.You can get the people in, but not the luggage.

In this case ( and I am not a fan of Famous anything in Athens ) it is actually less expensive to the 2 taxis required for 4 people with this kind of luggage.They are probably using some kind of van.

I do not believe you will find a taxi in Athens that holds 4 large suitcases + 2 carry on, plus seat 4.You can get the people in, but not the luggage.

In this case ( and I am not a fan of Famous anything in Athens ) it is actually less expensive to the 2 taxis required for 4 people with this kind of luggage.They are probably using some kind of van.

George says he has a new mercedes, but if it's like most countries we have been to, they will do whatever is necessary to fit the luggage and passengers.:eek: He has come highly recommended by many sources including our experienced friends here on CC. I am going to trust that he will get the two of us and our luggage to our hotel without stress.:)

The poster using his services only has 2 people; hence my comment. Personally there seems to be very little difference in the service offered, but if the inflated rate is worth it to the OP, then so be it!

The poster using his services only has 2 people; hence my comment. Personally there seems to be very little difference in the service offered, but if the inflated rate is worth it to the OP, then so be it!

Did not realize it is only two people.That is a pretty high upcharge just to hold a sign with a name,then walk with you past the taxi stand across the way to his car .

Of course, there is a lot to be said about peace of mind.

Hi Terry, We are also staying at the AVA for 2 nights pre cruise. Can you recommend any nearby places to buy wine for the cruise? Any tips about the AVA or surrounds? Thanks!

Sorry, but I don't remember seeing a wine shop in the area. I would ask as the hotel desk and they should be able to make some nearby suggestions. Wine is not quite the same "big thing" in Greece compared to what you find in Italy, France or Spain. Beer is available and below is the local favorite for Greece.

Glad you are staying at the handy and convenient AVA. Since this is a thread on "transportation", the good news about this Plaka location is the easy of . . . just walking out the front door, turning right and you're THERE!!! Below are some pictures for what is close and nearby to this hotel. The great thing is that many of the shops in Plaka are open until 10 or 11 pm each night. Lots of variety in these shops and fun to just look around. Plus, in the Plaka, there are many, many different good dining places.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 29,400 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the balcony of the AVA Hotel, here are two views you can easily see. To the right, the Acropolis Hill towering over its neighboring Plaka neighborhood and this hotel location. To the left, the Roman ruin called Hadrian's Arch. It is a monumental gateway resembling a Roman triumphal arch. It spanned an ancient road from the center of Athens, to the complex of structures on the eastern side of the city that included the Temple of Olympian Zeus. It has been proposed that the arch was built to celebrate the arrival of Roman Emperor Hadrian to honor his many benefactions to the city and the dedication occasion of a nearby temple complex in 131 or 132 AD It doesn’t get much better for being so close to real history than being here at this hotel location in Athens.:

AthensHotelViewAcropolis.jpg

AthensHotelViewRomRuins.jpg

Nearby to our hotel in the Plaka is this cute shop with a wide variety of statutes and other reproductions reflecting the great Greek artistic traditions. My wife is pictured with the shop ownders. They were very helpful and had a wide selection of options.:

AthensRelicShopStatutes.jpg

Outdoor dining in the Plaka in the heart of Athen’s historic area. Lots of music and fun, shopping, music, plus good food:

PlakaDining.jpg

Mythos is the beer to enjoy while dining outdoors in Plaka:

MythosBeer.jpg

Sorry, but I don't remember seeing a wine shop in the area. I would ask as the hotel desk and they should be able to make some nearby suggestions. Wine is not quite the same "big thing" in Greece compared to what you find in Italy, France or Spain. Beer is available and below is the local favorite for Greece.

Glad you are staying at the handy and convenient AVA. Since this is a thread on "transportation", the good news about this Plaka location is the easy of . . . just walking out the front door, turning right and you're THERE!!! Below are some pictures for what is close and nearby to this hotel. The great thing is that many of the shops in Plaka are open until 10 or 11 pm each night. Lots of variety in these shops and fun to just look around. Plus, in the Plaka, there are many, many different good dining places.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 29,400 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the balcony of the AVA Hotel, here are two views you can easily see. To the right, the Acropolis Hill towering over its neighboring Plaka neighborhood and this hotel location. To the left, the Roman ruin called Hadrian's Arch. It is a monumental gateway resembling a Roman triumphal arch. It spanned an ancient road from the center of Athens, to the complex of structures on the eastern side of the city that included the Temple of Olympian Zeus. It has been proposed that the arch was built to celebrate the arrival of Roman Emperor Hadrian to honor his many benefactions to the city and the dedication occasion of a nearby temple complex in 131 or 132 AD It doesn’t get much better for being so close to real history than being here at this hotel location in Athens.:

AthensHotelViewAcropolis.jpg

AthensHotelViewRomRuins.jpg

Nearby to our hotel in the Plaka is this cute shop with a wide variety of statutes and other reproductions reflecting the great Greek artistic traditions. My wife is pictured with the shop ownders. They were very helpful and had a wide selection of options.:

AthensRelicShopStatutes.jpg

Outdoor dining in the Plaka in the heart of Athen’s historic area. Lots of music and fun, shopping, music, plus good food:

PlakaDining.jpg

Mythos is the beer to enjoy while dining outdoors in Plaka:

MythosBeer.jpg

Thanks Terry, and my apologies to OP for temporary hijack of thread!;)

I just got a quote from George the Famous Taxi Driver. From the airport to AVA Hotel in Plaka is 60Euros and from hotel to port is 35Euros. That is for a car that will hold 4 passengers and 4 pieces of luggage plus 2 carry ons.

We have been to Athens many times and frequently use George. I can highly recommend him. He even took us on a five-day taxi tour of the Pelopponesus! One of our favorite trips is to get picked up at the airport and then driven on an excursion to Sounio, late lunch/dinner at a taverna on the beach and then drive us into Athens to the hotel. This jump starts sightseeing, avoids jet lag and it is a beautiful day. Depending on your arrival time, you might get the sunset over the Aegean while having dinner.

Archived