Athens Transportation Question

ssbeagle

We will be flying into Athens for our cruise and would need transportation to our hotel and from the hotel to the port. Can anyone provide information on transportation and recommend one that is reliable and reasonable?

Unless you have specific issues (e.g., a large group), I would suggest you simply take a taxi.

The airport is quite a distance from Athens proper. From Athens to the port of Piraeus it is about a 20-30 minute drive, depending on traffic. Your hotel can call a taxi for you.

Some will recommend a pre-arranged car, but I've never really seen the sense in doing that; they invariably cost more than the regular taxi fare.

We used the company Greektaxi and dealt with Paul. We had a group of eight that met up in Athens coming from various points --we all used his company and were all VERY pleased with the service, the vehicles and drivers. On cruise embarkation day we had a larger vehicle through Greektaxi to take the eight of us with luggage to Piraeus. I had read on Rick Steves (I know, do not believe everything you read...) about taxi drivers in Athens ripping off tourists, and we just decided that we didn't want to start off the trip on a downer, so we did the private transport route and were happy we did.

Unless you have specific issues (e.g., a large group), I would suggest you simply take a taxi. The airport is quite a distance from Athens proper. From Athens to the port of Piraeus it is about a 20-30 minute drive, depending on traffic. Your hotel can call a taxi for you. Some will recommend a pre-arranged car, but I've never really seen the sense in doing that; they invariably cost more than the regular taxi fare.

Agree with Cynthia on just doing a regular cab from the airport. Much of the route is expressway (built for the 2004 Athens Olympics). The airport opened in 2001 and has been given good marks for improving and getting better. From what I hear and what we experienced in 2006 going there for our late June Greek Isles cruise, this airport is so much better than their old one in Athens.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 27,800 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Unless you have specific issues (e.g., a large group), I would suggest you simply take a taxi.

The airport is quite a distance from Athens proper. From Athens to the port of Piraeus it is about a 20-30 minute drive, depending on traffic. Your hotel can call a taxi for you.

Some will recommend a pre-arranged car, but I've never really seen the sense in doing that; they invariably cost more than the regular taxi fare.

Approximately how much should a taxi cost from airport to hotel in Athens? And how much from hotel to port?

I really don't mind arranging private transport either if we find someone to share with us. I've done that in other ports. They don't have anything like a SuperShuttle service?

I remember a long bus ride to the new airport the last time in Athens (I think that was in 2002 or 2003). It was mostly city driving and took a couple of hours to get there. I also remember the airport as spread out and a lot of walking to get to the gate. But it may have changed since then. The new airport is a lot nicer than the old one.

Approximately how much should a taxi cost from airport to hotel in Athens? And how much from hotel to port?

I really don't mind arranging private transport either if we find someone to share with us. I've done that in other ports. They don't have anything like a SuperShuttle service?

I remember a long bus ride to the new airport the last time in Athens (I think that was in 2002 or 2003). It was mostly city driving and took a couple of hours to get there. I also remember the airport as spread out and a lot of walking to get to the gate. But it may have changed since then. The new airport is a lot nicer than the old one.

There's not a Super Shuttle or anything like that, as far as I know. If you're traveling relatively light, you can use the metro to get from the airport to your hotel. Where are you staying in Athens?

Another possibility is the express bus service. It's very cheap (less than 3 euro per person), has storage for baggage, and can be picked up right outside the baggage claim area. I used it last time I was in Athens and I was downtown at Syntagma Square very quickly. The only downside is that it only makes two stops, so unless your hotel is near one of them, you'll have to figure out another step. (If you're staying near Syntagma Square, I can HIGHLY recommend it.)

If you think you might be interested in either the bus or the metro, I can point you to several good discussions on how to do them on Tripadvisor's Athens forum.

When the other poster mentioned negotiating a taxi rate, I believe she was talking about taking a taxi from the port into Athens. You don't necessarily need to negotiate a rate when going the other way. (The more aggressive taxis tend to lurk at the cruise port in Piraeus, I've found. If your hotel calls one for you, you should be fine and probably needn't worry about getting ripped off!)

If I recall correctly, the taxi I took from my hotel at Syntagma to Piraeus cost around 20 euro (on a Sunday morning, so little traffic). Going to the airport from my hotel midafternoon cost about 40 euro and took about 45 minutes. Don't be surprised that there are extra charges associated with going to the port or to the airport, these will be added on top of your metered fare. Generally I don't tip a lot, I would just round up somewhat (e.g., if the fare is 38 I would give 40).

As ususal, Cynthia has excellent advice. I also highly recommend the bus from the airport into town. It can be faster than cars because it goes in priority lanes. It is better than the metro in terms of handling your luggage.

I'm surprised no one has suggested taking the train/subway/metro. We took the metro from the airport into Athens and then had perhaps a 5 minute walk to our hotel. It was easy and relatively cheap. Even for the four of us, we were much better off on the metro than taking a cab.

You can do the same from downtown to the port. However, the metro station at the port is a good distance from the cruise terminal. I've heard it described as generally around a 20-25 minute walk (depending on age, mobility issues, kids, luggage). I'd take the metro to the port, then unless I was travelling light with no small kids, take a quick taxi from the metro station to the terminal.

I'm surprised no one has suggested taking the train/subway/metro. We took the metro from the airport into Athens and then had perhaps a 5 minute walk to our hotel. It was easy and relatively cheap. Even for the four of us, we were much better off on the metro than taking a cab.

You can do the same from downtown to the port. However, the metro station at the port is a good distance from the cruise terminal. I've heard it described as generally around a 20-25 minute walk (depending on age, mobility issues, kids, luggage). I'd take the metro to the port, then unless I was travelling light with no small kids, take a quick taxi from the metro station to the terminal.

I did mention the metro, but its convenience depends on how much luggage you have and whether you have to change lines -- there can be quite a long walk if you have to transfer. Also, if the hotel is not convenient to the metro line there can be another long walk.

I was hoping the original poster would come back and tell us where their hotel was. Then it might be easier to judge if the metro would work for them.

Assuming they have at least two people, I think the 20 euro to the dock is money well spent. By the time you ride the metro plus a taxi to the port (they will probably overcharge you) you're not saving that much and in this case I think the convenience is worth it.

There's not a Super Shuttle or anything like that, as far as I know. If you're traveling relatively light, you can use the metro to get from the airport to your hotel. Where are you staying in Athens?

Another possibility is the express bus service. It's very cheap (less than 3 euro per person), has storage for baggage, and can be picked up right outside the baggage claim area. I used it last time I was in Athens and I was downtown at Syntagma Square very quickly. The only downside is that it only makes two stops, so unless your hotel is near one of them, you'll have to figure out another step. (If you're staying near Syntagma Square, I can HIGHLY recommend it.)

If you think you might be interested in either the bus or the metro, I can point you to several good discussions on how to do them on Tripadvisor's Athens forum.

When the other poster mentioned negotiating a taxi rate, I believe she was talking about taking a taxi from the port into Athens. You don't necessarily need to negotiate a rate when going the other way. (The more aggressive taxis tend to lurk at the cruise port in Piraeus, I've found. If your hotel calls one for you, you should be fine and probably needn't worry about getting ripped off!)

If I recall correctly, the taxi I took from my hotel at Syntagma to Piraeus cost around 20 euro (on a Sunday morning, so little traffic). Going to the airport from my hotel midafternoon cost about 40 euro and took about 45 minutes. Don't be surprised that there are extra charges associated with going to the port or to the airport, these will be added on top of your metered fare. Generally I don't tip a lot, I would just round up somewhat (e.g., if the fare is 38 I would give 40).

I'm not sure exactly where the Marriott Ledra is located. Even though I've been to Athens it was many years ago and we never stayed overnight. We just went from the ship to the airport or did a tour and we used Princess transfers because of the distance.

I did mention the metro, but its convenience depends on how much luggage you have and whether you have to change lines -- there can be quite a long walk if you have to transfer. Also, if the hotel is not convenient to the metro line there can be another long walk.

Assuming they have at least two people, I think the 20 euro to the dock is money well spent. By the time you ride the metro plus a taxi to the port (they will probably overcharge you) you're not saving that much and in this case I think the convenience is worth it.

I can't remember how the metro tickets worked. I have it in my mind that the metro trip to the port in the morning would have been effectively free because the day passes we had bought the previous day were good for 24 hrs. I know there was a difference between our tickets and our kids' tickets, so it may have been one and not the other. I could be entirely wrong about that and can stand to be corrected.

I'm not sure exactly where the Marriott Ledra is located. Even though I've been to Athens it was many years ago and we never stayed overnight. We just went from the ship to the airport or did a tour and we used Princess transfers because of the distance.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the Ledra is very close to the Metro (closest stop is about 0.6 miles, which will probably seem longer if you have lots of luggage). Nor is it on the bus route. So again, unless you are traveling fairly light and are interested in the most economical option, I think taking a taxi is your best bet.

Our friends stayed at the Marriott Ledra (we stayed near the Plaka). If you are planning to sightsee or go into the Plaka area to shop, have dinner, etc. you will need to get a cab-definitely not a walkable distance.

We stayed at the AVA Hotel right handy in the Plaka area. Made things very handy for nearby things at the Acropolis, plus shopping and dining in the super charming Plaka. Love both the hotel and the area. Things were just around the corner and you could walk easily without needing a cab much (except for coming from the hotel and going to the cruise port).

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 28,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks for the information. The metro is definitely out. I can't lug suitcases around any more. As far as our choice of hotel we are just mainly using it to get in the day before we board the ship and get over some of the jet lag. We've been to Athens and have no desire to do any sightseeing while there. Does anyone know if there are any good restaurants close to the Marriott Ledra?

FYI - From Kathimerini English Edition, January 7th, 2011

"A set price of 35 euros for taxi journeys between the capital and Athens International Airport is to come into effect on February 1, the Transport Ministry said on Wednesday. A fixed price of 50 euros will apply for journeys during the double-tariff period – between midnight and 5 a.m. These prices will be featured on a card that cabbies will be obliged to display in their vehicles. The aim of the initiative is to crack down on profiteering, particularly at the expense of tourists."

"A set price of 35 euros for taxi journeys between the capital and Athens International Airport is to come into effect on February 1, the Transport Ministry said on Wednesday. A fixed price of 50 euros will apply for journeys during the double-tariff period – between midnight and 5 a.m. These prices will be featured on a card that cabbies will be obliged to display in their vehicles. The aim of the initiative is to crack down on profiteering, particularly at the expense of tourists."

This is very interesting and good news; it would probably be worth posting it on a separate thread so more people will see it, fwiw.

The fare sounds about right from what I've heard and have been charged. Keep in mind that the 35 euro will be the fare but there is also an extra charge for the airport (a couple of euro -- has to do with access fees), and with a small tip it comes to about 40 euro.

Thank you for that information. It seems to be a fair price considering how far the airport is from the city.

I just got a quote from George the Famous Taxi Driver. From the airport to AVA Hotel in Plaka is 60Euros and from hotel to port is 35Euros. That is for a car that will hold 4 passengers and 4 pieces of luggage plus 2 carry ons.

I just got a quote from George the Famous Taxi Driver. From the airport to AVA Hotel in Plaka is 60Euros and from hotel to port is 35Euros. That is for a car that will hold 4 passengers and 4 pieces of luggage plus 2 carry ons.

Sounds like enough room for two people with two large bags and two carry-ons but not for four if we all had the same amount of bags. How do you contact him?

Thank you. Do you know of anyone else just to have a reference or example of costs?

Here is another that I read recommendations on. http://www.athenstaxi.org/ Paul.... must be the "other" famous taxi driver. I haven't contacted him yet re: pricing.

The regular taxi that you get at the airport costs 35Euro into Athens. George said he would meet you inside the airport at the info center and would hold a sign with your name on it. I imagine any private taxi you arrange will do the same. For me, after travelling 24 hours, that is worth something. Both lived for extended periods in the US, so there won't be a language barrier.

Try searching for threads recommending them. I found quite a few, but didn't keep the links.

Thanks for the information. The metro is definitely out. I can't lug suitcases around any more. As far as our choice of hotel we are just mainly using it to get in the day before we board the ship and get over some of the jet lag. We've been to Athens and have no desire to do any sightseeing while there. Does anyone know if there are any good restaurants close to the Marriott Ledra?

The Ledra Marriott is located on Syngroy Avenue - which is the road towards Piraeus. The Hotel runs a shuttle service for guests to and from Syntagma Square but it stops at around 19:00.

A short walk from the hotel there's a coffee shop and a pizza place - a bit further away there are a couple of tavernas you should ask at reception for exact directions.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that a taxi to Athens Center is 5-7 Euros each way and rather than hailing a cab for the return get the taverna or restaurant to call one it does cost a bit extra though maybe 2-3 Euros.

Archived