question about carrying wedding dress on the plane!!!!

Hey everybody!! Im getting married in 25 DAYS!!! AND IM DEF FREAKING OUT hahaha but I was wondering..my dress is in one of those white david bridal bags & I dont want to put it in my check in bags...can I carry that bag thru airport security and onto the plane?? will TSA give me an grief?? please help!!

I'm told that you SHOULD carry it on board. Most brides do in case their luggage gets lost. I wouldn't chance it. Just arrive at the airport early in case there's any problem. I doubt there will be beacause of the gown, but the TSA has it in their job description to give grief! lol

Thank you for your quick responses! TSA always gives grief haha I just dont want to check in my 2 big bags and then carry my dress up to security and them deny me. Its a big white bag that says davids bridal...Im hoping to get it thru & onto the plane with me!! I just cant wait for this cruise...25 DAYS and counting :D

When I was in the planning stages and we thought we were going to fly to FL (we ended up driving for several reasons) I called every airline that was a possibility of me booking with. Out of the 6 different airlines only 1 said I could not take the dress and tux on as my carry-on. and they were crossed off the list

TSA will not give you problems with the dress, they may need to open the bag though so if you don't want those traveling with you to see it, warn the other travelers that they may need to turn around or close their eyes.

good idea little black dress!! bc most likely my fiance will be right by me as we travel :rolleyes: so I will def have to make sure when were going thru security that he either is no where near me OR turn his head!!! im not too worried about my guests seeing it...thanks again!!! If they give me any grief, I will be sure to throw on those bride tears ;)

I would be more worried about the airline than TSA. You should definitely call your airline and get clarification on their carry on allowances. Most US airlines allow you to bring one carry-on item onboard, plus one “personal item”, such as a purse, laptop case or camera bag. And they are getting more and more strict about imposing this limit. Your gown will count as your one allowable carry-on, and you'll only be allowed a purse or other small bag that fits under your seat.

Also, all carry-on items must meet FAA regulations for maximum size which is approximately 22" x 14" x 9". It also may not exceed 45 linear inches in combined length, width, and height. So make sure whatever you bring the gown in meets these restrictions.

But here’s the real dilemma. Gate attendants can further limit the amount of carry-on baggage for a particular flight, depending on the storage capacity of the plane and the number of passengers. With most airlines now charging for checked baggage, the overhead space fills up quickly, especially on a fully booked flight. Once that happens, anyone who has a bag that won’t fit under the seat is forced to check their bag -- even if it's got a wedding gown in it!

I am a frequent flyer and I am constantly amazed about how quickly overhead bins fill up, and how often people are forced to check their carry on luggage. It’s especially challenging this time of year, when bulky winter coats are also competing for limited overhead space. On a recent flight, I watched while more than 30 people were forced to check their roll-aboard bags. Trust me, on that flight, there was no room in the overhead bins for a wedding gown.

So....first, call the airline and check on their rules. See if they make any special exceptions for a wedding dress (some airlines do). Also, check to see if the aircraft you will be flying on has a closet onboard where you can hang the dress. Arrive at the gate early and ask (as nicely as possible ;)) if you can pre-board. You may not be allowed to, but it doesn't hurt to ask. The flight crew will try and be helpful, so just smile and ask as nicely as you can and they will usually try to find a way to work it out. But be prepared that you may have to check the dress, or your other carry on bag, or both.

But I would sure rather carry the dress on than risk checking it -- even it means jamming it into a small roll aboard case. After all, a wrinkled dress is better than no dress at all.

For those who have carried their dresses onboard and those who haven't.... one of my biggest areas of paranoia right now is having a wrinkled wedding gown since I was told that Carnival has no capacity to steam it.... What's the verdict on wrinkles?

I was paranoid about this too. I knew there wouldn't be time for the cruise line to steam it in time for the ceremony. I packed the dress a "regulation" carry on garment bag and was able to hang in an onboard closet. But neither the bag nor the closet were long enough for the dress, so there was no way to avoid some wrinkling. I unpacked and hung it up the instant we got to our hotel. By morning, most of the worst creases had fallen out. I repacked in a full length garment bag to board the ship. On the morning of the wedding, I used a hand steamer (not a steam iron) to touch up the dress and it worked like a charm.

Here's a photo of a similar travel steamer. It's compact, uses regular tap water and it safe for any fabric. I've used on everything from satin, beaded lace and fragile silk chiffon and it works great.

Ll_tFEZ-XNWxLXTZS6pMDGz6yel7P0-y852dRGlV3_1lMy_aYvHk-s3DcAbNrTpqjRt0kEhRS7BkogOmHOERmfFBAKE3Q-uVJ8BD782q8C372ij5p-dQ1SUFLRzfZRePjHU3txHZdctuvIJEPFZ3iUFtCWQp0PtMZBfq5fGYqDpbzPA55xb2rknrHObodU94uKivADlq1RdIjJLE1tqKz4wbgRtQHHGEJ4Pa-c1M3lgL9NtMAc4v3oN9u8bmfyl9v23r34E_8U2oAm7qn2iH6Y0u71sFmErYU64e

We are getting married in two weeks! I just called American Airlines, and they said my dress will count as a "personal" item along with my over the shoulder bag. The nice AA lady said the closets are usually for 1st class passengers, but if there is room, she said no problem. She also said to just let the ppl at the gate know I am carrying a wedding gown and smile:p

Allie

I hope it goes as smooth as it sounds :rolleyes: and I called Southwest & the lady said, we dont have closets!! I said what?? doesnt the pilot & flight attendants have one & she said no...she said youll have to put it up above your head :confused: but said I would be fine to get it on the plane...so like you gals said, Im just gonna put on a big smile :D and say its my wedding dress & I need a safe place to store it on this plane please (Im sure they dont want to deal with a bridezilla hahah) I havnt been able to act like one bc everythings been sooo easy during the planning process thanks to carnival, next to nothing, soooo lets hope this isnt an issue hahahaha

I hope it goes as smooth as it sounds :rolleyes: and I called Southwest & the lady said, we dont have closets!! I said what?? doesnt the pilot & flight attendants have one & she said no...she said youll have to put it up above your head

She's right; there are no closets on Southwest planes. You'll have to put it in the overhead compartment and pray that no one smashes it trying to cram their suitcase on top of it.

I hope it goes as smooth as it sounds :rolleyes: and I called Southwest & the lady said, we dont have closets!! I said what?? doesnt the pilot & flight attendants have one & she said no...she said youll have to put it up above your head :confused: but said I would be fine to get it on the plane...so like you gals said, Im just gonna put on a big smile :D and say its my wedding dress & I need a safe place to store it on this plane please (Im sure they dont want to deal with a bridezilla hahah) I havnt been able to act like one bc everythings been sooo easy during the planning process thanks to carnival, next to nothing, soooo lets hope this isnt an issue hahahaha

On the upside, bags fly free on Southwest. So maybe the demand for overhead space won't be as bad as it on my usual airline (Delta). Good luck!

wow, that sucks that there are no closets on Southwest:( ( I have never flown with them) I'm sure there is a captains closet. Like I said, be nice and smile. I am sure the flight attendant wouldnt want to be the one to be mean and not safeguard your wedding dress!:o

Another suggestion ... Southwest also offers "Early Bird Check-in", which guarantees you'll board before the general boarding group. It's only about $10 each way, so you should check if it's available for your flight.

It's a good alternative unless you want to spend the extra money to upgrade to Business Select which will put you at the very front of the boarding line and give you first crack at the overhead space.

In any case, your should make sure you print your boarding passes online 24 hours in advance so you can try and be in the A boarding group and have better shot at overhead space. Even if you are not in the A boarding group on Southwest, you should still ask if you can pre-board. They might say yes! :D

Even if you are not in the A boarding group on Southwest, you should still ask if you can pre-board. They might say yes! :D

I am not a big Southwest fan, and try to avoid them. However, I pretty much can guarantee that you will not be allowed to preboard just because you have a wedding dress. Even families with children don't preboard anymore on Southwest.

We flew allegiant and I had the same story - no closets. They told me that they advised against using the overhead bins due to the fact that people would stuff things in and crush it. I ended up shipping it fedex directly to my hotel. They packed it carefully with lots of stuffing in a large box and it worked great.

I am a huge fan of Southwest -- for $10 extra each way you will be in the "A" group and have a place over your seat for your carryon. On other airlines you can pick your seat, but you have no control over the boarding order unless you are flying first class or are a premier-level frequent flyer.

I am a huge fan of Southwest -- for $10 extra each way you will be in the "A" group and have a place over your seat for your carryon. On other airlines you can pick your seat, but you have no control over the boarding order unless you are flying first class or are a premier-level frequent flyer.

Thanks Klauer!! I am a huge fan of Southwest myself ;) I just booked the early bird special for the one way down for $10 :D bc Im not worried about my dress on the way home LOL I never thought of it though...there is 34 of us all on the same flight but I only checkedc my name for early check in!!! Im hoping this solves all my worries, Thanks again!! Im sooo excited I can barely control myself :p

there is 34 of us all on the same flight :p

well, I think you can count on at least 34 passengers willing to shift their carry ons to make room for your gown. I am guessing you'll have no problems claiming some prime overhead space:D!

well, I think you can count on at least 34 passengers willing to shift their carry ons to make room for your gown. I am guessing you'll have no problems claiming some prime overhead space:D!

WOWWW, Do I feel like a total Idiot!!! hahahahah I have 34 of my closest friends & family members ALL on the SAME flight as me down to FL...and OF COARSE they would make some prime overhead space for the BRIDE :p DUHHH!!! hahahaha oh well, It was only $10 and I guess it will just help me get a better seat :D haha as you can tell, my head is ALL OVER the place and I am not thinking clearly :eek:

Archived