MSC Poesia Jan 2-4 Just BAck

Snuffie

Had a great cruise for 2 days. Went without expecting ANYTHING. We have over 25 Luxury cruises under our belt but found this really inexpensive deal in a balcony cabin for 2 nights FLL to Nassau for less than it would cost to have dinner and the theater out.

Ship was beautiful. Clean in most sections of ship. However, on the top deck during the late afternoon when staff was cleaning, I saw them putting drinks down the floor drains (throwing the drink umbrella/limes/etc away). Strange way to discard drinks!!!

The ship had great decor throughout the ship. Although with 2550 people on board, it was always crowded whereever you went. The entertainment was the best I have ever seen on board a ship. KUDOS to MSC. There were 13 bars on board. The drinks were very reasonabe (Merlot for $4.35 per glass!!!) and daily drinks of the day for around $5.75.

Staff at reception desk were rude and not caring at all about their guests. While in line at reception we watched repeatedly unhappy guest leaving shaking their heads in amazement on their treatment. None of the staff ever smiled giving the impression of an unhappy crew. Waiters were over-worked and had to take orders, serve and remove plates from table in the MDR with No back up from their so called assistants. We gave our waiter a separate tip and he almost cried he was so happy. Same with our steward with the extra tip. He was elated. MSC encourages NO extra tipping. How sad. They deserve more!

Room size was ok for 2 nights. Bed was nice and hard but the pillow was lumpy and uncomfortable (should have brought my own!). Bathroom was very small but clean. The face clothes were ragged and one was even torn. There are no bars of soap. Pump soap and hair shampoo are mounted on sink and in shower. And, there is no hair conditioner, so bring your own from home!!! The shower curtain wrapped itself against me when I showered!!! Cozy!!

Food was just aweful. I was on a diet so I didn't mind. I actuall lost another pound over the 2 days on board. Main dining room food was so bad we didn't go back the next night. I had linguini with white clam sauce and it smelled very bad. I did eat one clam and had to spit it out.

Next night we went to the buffet for dinner. Lots of choices but, food was so bad we had our meal taken away and just ate pizza!!! My husband did try the Italian food on the buffet but the pasta was mushy. The pizza was delicious and freshly baked. They did not keep the buffet clean -- shame on them! Here are a few photos of the buffet.

5324245510_4e7cf6fc4b_s.jpg[/url]

5324245790_113f135589_s.jpg

5324245660_a1122a9049_s.jpg

Bottomline, we would do this cruise again for only a few days and in a larger cabin. We would also stick with a Pizza diet!!! The cost to eat in the specialty restaurants was $28-$35 pp and they were practically empty so no reports on that experience.

Had a great cruise for 2 days. Went without expecting ANYTHING. We have over 25 Luxury cruises under our belt but found this really inexpensive deal in a balcony cabin for 2 nights FLL to Nassau for less than it would cost to have dinner and the theater out.

Ship was beautiful. Clean in most sections of ship. However, on the top deck during the late afternoon when staff was cleaning, I saw them putting drinks down the floor drains (throwing the drink umbrella/limes/etc away). Strange way to discard drinks!!!

The ship had great decor throughout the ship. Although with 2550 people on board, it was always crowded whereever you went. The entertainment was the best I have ever seen on board a ship. KUDOS to MSC. There were 13 bars on board. The drinks were very reasonabe (Merlot for $4.35 per glass!!!) and daily drinks of the day for around $5.75.

Staff at reception desk were rude and not caring at all about their guests. While in line at reception we watched repeatedly unhappy guest leaving shaking their heads in amazement on their treatment. None of the staff ever smiled giving the impression of an unhappy crew. Waiters were over-worked and had to take orders, serve and remove plates from table in the MDR with No back up from their so called assistants. We gave our waiter a separate tip and he almost cried he was so happy. Same with our steward with the extra tip. He was elated. MSC encourages NO extra tipping. How sad. They deserve more!

Room size was ok for 2 nights. Bed was nice and hard but the pillow was lumpy and uncomfortable (should have brought my own!). Bathroom was very small but clean. The face clothes were ragged and one was even torn. There are no bars of soap. Pump soap and hair shampoo are mounted on sink and in shower. And, there is no hair conditioner, so bring your own from home!!! The shower curtain wrapped itself against me when I showered!!! Cozy!!

Food was just aweful. I was on a diet so I didn't mind. I actuall lost another pound over the 2 days on board. Main dining room food was so bad we didn't go back the next night. I had linguini with white clam sauce and it smelled very bad. I did eat one clam and had to spit it out.

Next night we went to the buffet for dinner. Lots of choices but, food was so bad we had our meal taken away and just ate pizza!!! My husband did try the Italian food on the buffet but the pasta was mushy. The pizza was delicious and freshly baked. They did not keep the buffet clean -- shame on them! Here are a few photos of the buffet.

5324245510_4e7cf6fc4b_s.jpg

5324245790_113f135589_s.jpg

5324245660_a1122a9049_s.jpg

Bottomline, we would do this cruise again for only a few days and in a larger cabin. We would also stick with a Pizza diet!!! The cost to eat in the specialty restaurants was $28-$35 pp and they were practically empty so no reports on that experience.

Thanks for posting, we also found the reception desk staff to be unprofessional and rude and the food substandard. We try and warn others also, but it's apparent other cruisers have different standards and find the food delicious.

I sailed on the Poesia in November and had to go to the reception desk on a number of times as I kept demagnitizing my room key. It was my fault, but I must say I had exceptional service at the desk. All staff were both polite and helpful. Maybe it was because our particular sailing was not chock-a-block full, but I didn't see anyone leave looking unhappy.

We also never had any problem at the reception desk. Actually, just about everyone I encountered on the entire ship was helpful, friendly and courteous.

Also, I loved the food. The buffet was a little too crowded for me (Christmas cruise) but I found the meals in the main dining room to be delicious. I have to disclose that as a vegetartian I never tried the meat or fish dishes but my children and husband who eat fish (but no meat) liked every piece of fish they were served except one night when they had the turbot.

We've had several MSC cruises and have always found the people working the reception office to be professional and helpful. The food in the MDR on all the ships has been mostly good to very good. Buffet food okay but a buffet is always a buffet and one shouldn't expect great dining. We always look forward to the evening meal in the MDR - a time to relax, enjoy good food, and interact with our table companions.

Had a great cruise for 2 days.

Ship was beautiful. Clean in most sections of ship.

... it was always crowded whereever you went.

The entertainment was the best I have ever seen on board a ship.

Staff at reception desk were rude and not caring at all about their guests. While in line at reception we watched repeatedly unhappy guest leaving shaking their heads in amazement on their treatment. None of the staff ever smiled giving the impression of an unhappy crew. Waiters were over-worked and had to take orders, serve and remove plates from table in the MDR with No back up from their so called assistants.

Room size was ok for 2 nights. Bed was nice and hard but the pillow was lumpy and uncomfortable (should have brought my own!).

Bathroom was very small but clean. The face clothes were ragged and one was even torn. There are no bars of soap. Pump soap and hair shampoo are mounted on sink and in shower. And, there is no hair conditioner, so bring your own from home!!! The shower curtain wrapped itself against me when I showered!!! Cozy!!

Next night we went to the buffet for dinner. Lots of choices but, food was so bad we had our meal taken away and just ate pizza!!! My husband did try the Italian food on the buffet but the pasta was mushy. The pizza was delicious and freshly baked. They did not keep the buffet clean -- shame on them!

If this qualifies as great you can have it. That low price must really have been low for you to consider repeating this cruise. What are the luxury lines you have cruised on?

If this qualifies as great you can have it. That low price must really have been low for you to consider repeating this cruise. What are the luxury lines you have cruised on?

We have cruised Crystal, Regent and Silversea. Yes it was great for the price. Consider the price for having dinner for two out and theater. It would cost around $350 or so. Similar cost for the cruise for 2 days. We were only on board for two evenings and sleeping overnight 2 nights. During the one shore day we were on land from 9AM-4PM. Total hours on board including sleeping were 33 hours.

... Consider the price for having dinner for two out and theater. It would cost around $350 or so ...

I think if I paid that much for dinner I would be a bit upset if I found the staff was rude, the establishment wasn't kept clean and I ended up eating pizza because the food was so bad that I had to "spit it out". :eek:

We have cruised Crystal, Regent and Silversea. Yes it was great for the price. Consider the price for having dinner for two out and theater. It would cost around $350 or so. Similar cost for the cruise for 2 days. We were only on board for two evenings and sleeping overnight 2 nights. During the one shore day we were on land from 9AM-4PM. Total hours on board including sleeping were 33 hours.

It is extremely curious that one who has cruised Silversea, Regent, Crystal and such luxury cruise lines 25 times would be so very price conscious as to consider your MSC experience "great" in view of the many negative conditions you described on your MSC cruise. Frankly, it strikes me as odd.

One wonders why you would be eager to repeat, even at bargain price, an experience many objective readers of your own description would rate as mediocre at best. This is especially so when it seems you have the financial means to comfortably afford better assuming, of course, you consider Silversea, Regent and Crystal better.

It is extremely curious that one who has cruised Silversea, Regent, Crystal and such luxury cruise lines 25 times would be so very price conscious as to consider your MSC experience "great" in view of the many negative conditions you described on your MSC cruise. Frankly, it strikes me as odd.

One wonders why you would be eager to repeat, even at bargain price, an experience many objective readers of your own description would rate as mediocre at best. This is especially so when it seems you have the financial means to comfortably afford better assuming, of course, you consider Silversea, Regent and Crystal better.

All I did was to answer you question as honestly as possible and now you are making such a big deal about why I would consider MSC again. I think you are being quite rude and you do not deserve any more responses from me.

I as a avid cruiser have been on many cruise lines and have always found that you treat people the way you want to be treated (its an old saying but it works) I find the people that complain about bad service deserve bad service, they often go in angry and expect to be treated like royalty. If you want to be treated like royalty than dont treat the cruise ship employees like they are slaves.

All I did was to answer you question as honestly as possible and now you are making such a big deal about why I would consider MSC again. I think you are being quite rude and you do not deserve any more responses from me.

I can't help but be reminded of an episode from the famous "I Love Lucy" TV show in which Fred Mertz called his wife, Ethyl, "so fat." Lucy scolded Fred and admonished him to say he was sorry. Fred reluctantly agreed, turned to Ethyl, and deadpanned "I'm sorry you're so fat."

Snuffie, I'm sorry if you find my remarks rude. I don't think they are. I think the detailed description of your MSC cruise which expressly states the food was awful and the staff was rude is totally incongruous with your conclusion that it was a "great" cruise. Besides the disconnect between the numerous negative experiences you recite and the conclusion it was "great", I also find it odd that someone who has sailed Silversea, Regent, Crystal, etc on 25 occasions would jump on a cruise with awful food and rude staff just because it cost the same for a week of cruising as it does for a day on Silversea - it makes no sense to me.

I as a avid cruiser have been on many cruise lines and have always found that you treat people the way you want to be treated (its an old saying but it works) I find the people that complain about bad service deserve bad service, they often go in angry and expect to be treated like royalty. If you want to be treated like royalty than dont treat the cruise ship employees like they are slaves.

I have crused a lot, too, and my experience is different. I find that most often people who complain about bad service have received bad service and that they have done nothing to deserve it. When disappointed with the service, some passengers who lack tact and sophisitcation may subsequently overreact, but it is not the norm.

I agree that the Golden Rule is appropriate to define how people should treat each. "Do unto to others as you would have them do unto you" is a good moral code, however it should not be interpreted to mean that people must treat all others with equal deference in all situations. Accordingly, in this context, i.e., reviewing service aboard cruise ships, I would rephrase your message as follows: Treat crew and staff the way you would want to be treated if you were a member of the crew and staff.

As a passenger on a cruise ship I do not expect nor do I want to have a relationship with crew/staff wherein we are equals. I am a paying guest. They are employess of my commercial host. Cabin stewards, waiters, reception desk staff are tasked with providing efficient and pleasant service. I do not treat them as slaves just as I do not treat my maids, cook, doorman, employee, etc, as slaves, but I do not think it appropriate to treat them other than as people employed to serve me. That doesn't foreclose good humor and, on rare occasions, even intimacy, but that doesn't alter the fundamental nature of the relationship. We are not on equal footing aboard ship.

I have to agree with you on that. I dreaded going to the desk to ask them anything because I got the impression that I was bothering them. Definitely not what I would consider outstanding customer service.

I though it was funny that there wasn't any conditioner in the dispenser or bars of soap. We had just stayed in a hotel for 2 days prior and assumed we would have these things including hairdryer/iron. I should have ironed at the hotel.

Hands down, the pizza and ice cream where the best! I think food would be a problem if taking a longer cruise with them. We were fortunate not to have any issues with our meals. When my husband and I discussed it, we concluded, "You won't starve". LOL!

There are exceptions to the rule. I don't approach staff with an attitude when requesting assistance. Staff are sometimes just rude just as some patrons are. There are bad apples in the staff bunch. My experience wasn't a deal crusher; just an observation. But one does expect pleasant customer service when that's what they're paying for.

I just take reviews for face-value because you can't expect everyone to share the same experience or have the same expectations.

... There are exceptions to the rule. I don't approach staff with an attitude when requesting assistance ...

It's a frequently used ploy on these boards to suggest that a negative experience is somehow the "fault" of the passenger ... because it could not possibly be due to any shortcoming on the part of their beloved cruise line.

While there are undoubtedly some rude travelers, my observations are that they are the exception and most people are like you and don't approach staff with an "attitude".

I really don't understand why, when people post of their experiences here, some members have to immediately launch a challenge. I'm utterly convinced that if an MSC ship sank and a passenger posted of the experience here, somebody would respond that they must be wrong because the ship didn't sink on their cruise ... or, if the ship really did sink, it was because of their attitude.

Agreed, Andrew, Can't figure out why the cruiser is always blamed, when report after report comes back stating the same thing, even the positive ones remark on this deficiency of Poesia.

There has to be a significant difference in what we all consider quality, delicious food and acceptable service levels from the administrative staff on the Poesia by members of cruise critic.

I wonder what many of my fellow posters consider to be good restaurants and hotels if they consider Poesia to be "great", "delicious" and "excellent"; where in the world can they be dining and staying if the pizza and ice cream is the highlight of their dining experience and rudeness is acceptable from the concierge?

We all agree on the beauty, cleanliness of the ship, the good service of cabin and dining staff, etc, but the quality of food and administrative staff attitudes are the most controversial areas of all, it has to be what is unacceptable to some is perfectly fine with others, the ship isn't changing that much from cruise to cruise.

Perhaps I should just consider what is constantly drummed by the apologists and that seems to be the fall back position: Consider the low cost of MSC, you get what you pay for, and for many that's enough!

I just got back from the two day sailing. You can eat well on the Poesia, if you pay for it. The two specialty dining options were truly outstanding; the Japanese & Italian rooms. Also the ice cream & geloto were outstanding. However everything else food wise was lacking, and the Italian Midnight Buffet was a true discrase to cruiseing.

The ship is very pretty, some of the staff were very very nice. It had the best spa I have seen at sea. In many ways MSC was like a European Celebrity; however without the services and pleasant meals. In the end I just don't think I could take two weeks aboard the ship, with dining the way it is.

I was just wondering if you ever ate dinner in the main dining room since you were on a two night cruise and ate in the two specialty restaurants.

(We really enjoyed the dining room and had every dinner there. Our waiters were great by the second night. Water, wine, coffee always remembered from what we asked the previous night.)

On our recent Poesia cruise I found the food to be wonderful, my husband thought it was subpar. Everything else, we agreed, was great and would travel with them again. The reception desk employess we dealt with did not speak english fluently and we do not speak any other language, so that was definitely challenging, but everything, eventually, worked out fine.

I was just wondering if you ever ate dinner in the main dining room since you were on a two night cruise and ate in the two specialty restaurants.

(We really enjoyed the dining room and had every dinner there. Our waiters were great by the second night. Water, wine, coffee always remembered from what we asked the previous night.)

I had a late lunch in the Japan Sushi Bar and an early dinner at the Italian Room; thus I was able to be with my table mates both nights for dinner.

. The reception desk employess we dealt with did not speak english fluently and we do not speak any other language, so that was definitely challenging, but everything, eventually, worked out fine.

They must have changed the reception staff since our November cruise!

There were 2 South African receptionists, and a couple of others, who also spoke perfect English!

The reception staff said they were going to be on the Poesia until at least March......

Very strange!!

They must have changed the reception staff since our November cruise!

There were 2 South African receptionists, and a couple of others, who also spoke perfect English!

The reception staff said they were going to be on the Poesia until at least March......

Very strange!!

I don't know that it would be considered strange because we may have dealt with different employees. Some spoke english well, some didn't, that was our experience. In our case, a supervisor stepped in and fixed the problem.

I have been shocked by the attacks I saw here. I also found the staff unbelievably rude. After a horrible boarding process, Katrina started yelling at us for about 15 minutes on the overhead speaker to go for the evacuation drill. It felt like I had either joined the army or been sent to prison.

The food was a mediocre at best and sickening at worst. My husband spent about 10 hours throwing up on our last night on the boat. I agree the pizza and ice-cream were the best food they had. The desserts were beautiful, but tasted like bland pudding, all of them. I do not know how they managed that. I lost weight also on ou 7 day cruise.

You know a vacation is a disaster when you become aware that you would be much happier if you were at home. I will never go on an MSC cruise again.

Archived