Athens on a Monday

Azulann

Realized our port day will land us in Athens on a Monday, next Sept. Most museums are closed on Mondays.:( Any other suggestions besides a tour of the Acropolis? Do not want to shop or have a elaborate lunch. Love Byzantine churches, history and art.

On Mondays, the National Archaeological Museum is closed in the morning, but it opens at 1:30 pm so you can still visit it.

http://www.namuseum.gr/visiting/index-en.html

The new Acropolis Museum, however, is closed all day on Mondays.

Alternatively, I suggest you get a copy of the Rick Steves Athens guidebook; he includes a very good self-guided tour of both the Acropolis and the nearby Greek Agora (including the Hephaistos temple) which can easily take up an entire port day. I also love history and I have to say I really enjoyed the Agora.

So -- either Acropolis plus Museum or Acropolis plus Agora should fully occupy you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We were in Athens on Monday this past May and experienced this same limitation. However, using Dennis for a driver from www.toursofathens.com we were able to have a customized day where we didn't feel we missed anything at all by being there on Monday. I highly recommend him. Have a great time.

Unless your driver could magically open the closed museums, I kind of fail to see how having him could really help in this particular situation?

Even with the museums closed, as I pointed out, there are many other things one can do on foot and all within a fairly compact area. In fact, with so many nice pedestrian-only areas in Athens, I tend to think a driver is pretty superfluous.....

Our Oceania cruise ended in Athens on a Monday and our flight home did not leave until evening. This was our 3rd day in Athens so had seen some of the things already suggested. My BIL suggested the Behnke Museum and we walked there from the Hilton hotel. It is open on Monday and has wonderful exhibits of ancient gold, pottery, etc.

Read about it here www.benaki.gr We had a wonderful Monday morning at the Behnke Museum and had a very nice lunch in the cafe in the museum. I remember entrees, sandwiches, deserts, salads and wine/beer being available in a beautiful indoor/outdoor room.

Read about it here www.benaki.gr We had a wonderful Monday morning at the Benaki Museum and had a very nice lunch in the cafe in the museum. I remember entrees, sandwiches, deserts, salads and wine/beer being available in a beautiful indoor/outdoor room.

On the same street, a block away, is the Museum of Cycladic Art, a wonderful complement to the Benaki. Magnificent artwork from 3000 BC and up. www.cycladic.gr

• 3 weeks later...
Unless your driver could magically open the closed museums, I kind of fail to see how having him could really help in this particular situation?

Even with the museums closed, as I pointed out, there are many other things one can do on foot and all within a fairly compact area. In fact, with so many nice pedestrian-only areas in Athens, I tend to think a driver is pretty superfluous.....

Just saying that using a private driver allowed us to get all around the city in our limited time and had a few extra hours (not in a museum) to see other sites and therefore didn't feel cheated. No reason to be snide.

Just saying that using a private driver allowed us to get all around the city in our limited time and had a few extra hours (not in a museum) to see other sites and therefore didn't feel cheated. No reason to be snide.

Sorry, did not mean to be snide, I just couldn't honestly tell what connection your recommendation had with the OP's original question.

I did a quick count and of the 30 posts you've contributed to on this board, you've mentioned this particular private driver in 24 of them (22 directly including his website). If he's not paying you for flogging his services, he should be. ;)

There's a time and a place for everything; CC guidelines say you should not recommend a private tour unless the poster specifically asks.

Archived