NCL Menu Question

terrymtex01

OK.. I have been away from the boards for awhile and did a search about the menus on NCL ships. I was a huge fan of the new menus that we experienced on the Dawn Nov 2009 and was sad they were not on the Star May, 2010. I tried to do a search to find an answer to my question and have spent several days looking through a ton of postings my search pulled up. Rather than spending weeks reading so many postings I decided to post my question.. LOL.

Does anyone know how far NCL has rolled out the new menu concept that was started on the Dawn? Like what ships now use that menu format?

Hi Terry!

I don't have any information for you but wanted to be the 1st to welcome you back. Since you are asking must mean you are considering another cruise... which means you'll be hangin' around again on the boards?:) I hope and that you and Doug are doing well.

I know you don't know me but I have always enjoyed your posts especially your review of the Dawn. We were just on the Dawn at Christmas and it was the worst cruise I have ever been on but it had nothing to do with the ship or the great crew. All I will say is that we had spent a bit of time in the medical center with DH very sick (not Noro). Actually we are thinking of writing a review of the medical centers on various ships but are really hoping the next cruise we can skip that excursion.:)

I will say that I was very disappointed though when I ordered a PB&J finally that you always raved about. It was 3 slices of bread and the PB&J were barely painted on... I literally could not even taste them. :( I know to each their own... but to me I just didn't get it.

Anyway welcome back!

Lisa

Hi Terry!

I don't have any information for you but wanted to be the 1st to welcome you back. Since you are asking must mean you are considering another cruise... which means you'll be hangin' around again on the boards?:) I hope and that you and Doug are doing well.

I know you don't know me but I have always enjoyed your posts especially your review of the Dawn. We were just on the Dawn at Christmas and it was the worst cruise I have ever been on but it had nothing to do with the ship or the great crew. All I will say is that we had spent a bit of time in the medical center with DH very sick (not Noro). Actually we are thinking of writing a review of the medical centers on various ships but are really hoping the next cruise we can skip that excursion.:)

I will say that I was very disappointed though when I ordered a PB&J finally that you always raved about. It was 3 slices of bread and the PB&J were barely painted on... I literally could not even taste them. :( I know to each their own... but to me I just didn't get it.

Anyway welcome back!

Lisa

Thank you so much for your kind words Lisa.. and yes.. we are looking into a 14 day repo cruise for 2012, but to be honest, I have not been on CC for other reasons - started school in Sept to get a certification to become a Travel Consultant and then Nov 1st. had brain surgery and have been recovering from that. Just had too much in my life to be on CC for a while.. LOL. I have missed it though.

I AM SO SORRY you did not have a good time on the Dawn. We thought, with a few exceptions, she is a great ship. I do have to tell you, on the Star this past May one huge disappointment I had was the PB&J's. I probably forgot to post that in my review, but they were not as good as I had been lucky enough to get on other cruises. And I am sorry your DH was ill on the cruise. Trust me when I say I know how that feels. Never to the point I had to have medical attention while on the cruise so I can just imagine how it affected your cruise. I do hope you guys will plan another cruise on NCL or any other cruiseline. Sounds like you both need a nice restful cruise vacation. 8-)

The new menu scheme was in place when we were on the Pearl this Spring. I didn't like it as much as you.....:eek: Don't know about the other ships. Hopefully people will fill in the list.

You know, it might end up being that we just had great food on the Dawn and that is what caused us to like the concept so much. All I do know is I wish we could replicate the dining experiece we had on the Dawn on all other NCL ships.. 8-)

OK.. I have been away from the boards for awhile and did a search about the menus on NCL ships. I was a huge fan of the new menus that we experienced on the Dawn Nov 2009 and was sad they were not on the Star May, 2010. I tried to do a search to find an answer to my question and have spent several days looking through a ton of postings my search pulled up. Rather than spending weeks reading so many postings I decided to post my question.. LOL.

Does anyone know how far NCL has rolled out the new menu concept that was started on the Dawn? Like what ships now use that menu format?

I'm not familiar with what you mean by the new menu format... How has things changed? It seems it was for the better.

Terry, I am glad that you are back and well. I really missed reading your posts because you were very honest.

We were on the DAWN last month (Dec. 3) when the new menu began about a couple weeks before our cruise I was told that the next ship that will have the new menu, will be the PEARL.

In the "old days" on the Dawn their menus worked the same as all the other NCL ships. You had, generally, an even mix of choices that were the same every night and then (again generally) about the same number of choices that changed every night. NCL tried an experiement back in 2009 on the Dawn where they increased the number of choices that stayed the same every night and decreased the number of choices that changed every night. From what I read on CC, a lot of people pre cruise did not like this idea. There did not seem to be as many saying they did not like it post cruise. I can tell you Doug and I thought it was the best food of any NCL cruise as a whole. In fact, we thought the MDR menus were so good, it was a 15 night cruise and we literally had a very tough time fitting in Specialty restaurants that we wanted to dine in because the MDR food was always so appealing. I do believe this has been pushed out to the Pearl, but was just curious if it had been pushed out fleet wide, etc.

Terry, glad to have you back on the boards; We all have missed you. How was the food different than the food we experienced on the Star?

Hope you and Doug will decide to do the PC with us in Apr 2012.

Sherri and Clay

Sherri we are looking at several different options for2012. We probably won't book until after we do our taxes this year, plus we are going to have to try to fit a cruise in where we can both take off at the same time. We are wanting to do at least a 14 day cruise for 2012 but that is double tough for us to work our vacation times out and it just gets tougher the more days added to it.. hehehehe. You know a PC cruise is one I am dying to go on. And thank you.. Im so glad to be doing so much better and to be able to be reading the boards again. I have missed you all.. 8-).

Is Clay doing better?

Terry, let me be another CCer you don't know, but who has so appreciated your posts, welcome you back. (BTW we're on the 4/2012 PC cruise out of NY which has some great prices compared with the Pearl. I hope you'll be able to swing the PC because it is spectacular.)

On our cruises in 2007 (Star and Pearl) the entire menu changed each night. 2009 (Majesty) and 2010 (Pearl) the left side of the menu changed each night but the right side had the same 4 or 5 items. Now I don't know if those are the new menus or if There was a new change beyond that which you are talking about. On the Pearl we thought the food in the MDR was excellent with the newer menu.

Terry, let me be another CCer you don't know, but who has so appreciated your posts, welcome you back. (BTW we're on the 4/2012 PC cruise out of NY which has some great prices compared with the Pearl. I hope you'll be able to swing the PC because it is spectacular.)

On our cruises in 2007 (Star and Pearl) the entire menu changed each night. 2009 (Majesty) and 2010 (Pearl) the left side of the menu changed each night but the right side had the same 4 or 5 items. Now I don't know if those are the new menus or if There was a new change beyond that which you are talking about. On the Pearl we thought the food in the MDR was excellent with the newer menu.

In the "old days" on the Dawn their menus worked the same as all the other NCL ships. You had, generally, an even mix of choices that were the same every night and then (again generally) about the same number of choices that changed every night. NCL tried an experiement back in 2009 on the Dawn where they increased the number of choices that stayed the same every night and decreased the number of choices that changed every night. From what I read on CC, a lot of people pre cruise did not like this idea. There did not seem to be as many saying they did not like it post cruise. I can tell you Doug and I thought it was the best food of any NCL cruise as a whole. In fact, we thought the MDR menus were so good, it was a 15 night cruise and we literally had a very tough time fitting in Specialty restaurants that we wanted to dine in because the MDR food was always so appealing. I do believe this has been pushed out to the Pearl, but was just curious if it had been pushed out fleet wide, etc.

Sherri we are looking at several different options for2012. We probably won't book until after we do our taxes this year, plus we are going to have to try to fit a cruise in where we can both take off at the same time. We are wanting to do at least a 14 day cruise for 2012 but that is double tough for us to work our vacation times out and it just gets tougher the more days added to it.. hehehehe. You know a PC cruise is one I am dying to go on. And thank you.. Im so glad to be doing so much better and to be able to be reading the boards again. I have missed you all.. 8-).

Is Clay doing better?

Terry, welcome back, I had wondered where you had drifted off to..

NIta

Welcome back, Terry! Hope you have fully recovered from your surgery, and you're feeling good!

Wish I could help with the menus, but we haven't been on a cruise since October 2009 with the new menus. I didn't realize they changed them again since I haven't been around much either.

Jackie

• 3 weeks later...

Archived