Wheelchair in Ocho Rios

smoosh21

Are there any good tours for a wheelchair bound passenger in Ocho Rios? I have my parents booked on a 11/27 Western Caribbean sailing on HAL Westerdam.

They do have an interest in seeing Jamaica as neither of them have been there. I was wondering if any other wheelchair bound passengers have done any tours in Ocho Rios and could recommend one.

Thanks

Unless something has changes, there is very little that is truly accessible in Ocho Rios.

Can your parents transfer into a mini-van? We have been to Ocho Rios twice. Since my husband could get into a minivan, both times we hired minivans at the pier.

The first time we were alone so we joined other passengers on a fairly standard tour: Fern Gully, a hotel known for its gardens, Dunns River Falls and, of course, shopping. Although he could not access the hotel gardens or Dunns River Falls, my husband did enjoy Fern Gully. He also enjoyed listening to the steel band outside the hotel and watching men play dominoes at Dunns River Falls. He could also access the first level of shopping which was fairly standard - jewelry, T-Shirts, souveniers, etc..

The second time there were four of us so we hired a minivan by ourselves and asked the driver to go somewhere else. He took us out into the country which was interesting, but somewhat sad because of the extreme poverty.

My son uses a power chair, and the last time we were in Ocho Rios, we stayed near the pier and shopped. As we were heading back to the ship, a gentleman in a handicapped van gave me his card saying he offered fully accessible tours. If you like, I will try to find his name and number. We did not use him, so I cannot give any recommendations.

Thanks for the responses. I am glad to hear that you can at least get around near the pier so it is something for them to see.

I don't think he could get up in a minivan unless it had a lift (or at least a good wide step on side). He can transfer to a car with some ease, but only because he doesnt have to step up.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi {See my posting below}

Contact Peat using his address below, he will make arrangements with a follow tour operator who has the van. I've forgotten his name. I used him in Nov 03 when I was there. We had a GREAT TIME, I use an electric wheelchair and he loads from the back using a ramp. Don't worry he knows what he's doing. Great sites great tour of the area. If you like I'll send you some pics. Feel free to ask any questions. Stephane

http://www.peattaylor.com/island_tour.htmlqman76

Cool Cruiser

posted 11-16-03 02:25 PM

I just wanted to let you know of a wonderful guided tour of Ocho Rios and it's surrounding area. Our guide Luniano, who has the only wheelchair accessable vehicle in the area, gave us a off the tourist track tour. We toured through "Fern Gully", enjoyed the beauty of Jamaica on the back roads coming down. Luciano then took us to the Tajmahal Shopping Center, we were there by our selfs, the regular tour buses were not there yet. We mainly shopped at "Tropical Gift Shop", we were given discount tickets for touring w/Luciano 20% off. From there, we went to Dun's Falls. {Tickets are inculded in price} My friends had a ball, this was their hilight of the whole cruise. Next, we had lunch at Bi Bi Bimp, we enjoyed the view from our table and tasted Jerk Chicken w/fries. Our waiter's name is Ricardo, very nice and pleasent. "No, problem man" If you get the chance to go, tell him we say "Hi". Finally, we went to Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville, then back to our ship. Luciano only charged $50 each, for the whole time. 8ish to 2:30. He gives a great tour, very knowledgable of the area and plants. We enjoyed our time immesely. If we ever get the chance to go back to Ocho Rios again, I'm booking Luciano. The vehicle is a van with a portable ramp, the w/c person is loaded in the back. The van has a/c, but needs to be turned off from time to time, because of the steep grade of the roads. To contact Luciano 876-974-9779 or e-mail maxitours@yahoo.com. It will be one of my best memories.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ken,

I've been to Ocho Rios once before I became disabled & was not really impressed except for Dunn's River. I'm glad I had a chance to climb the falls before my accident. I've been to Jamacia several times since my accident but not to OR. Please send the phone# if you can find it. I'll be traveling with my dad who's a slow walker & my step "Mum". If they aren't interested I may try & find someone else in a WC who is.

Thanks, Fil

• 11 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
My husband and I will be in Ochos rios in march any reccommendations for handicapped accessible excursions will be helpful. Thank you!

As I responded to another individual on this thread in post# 12 do a GOOGLE search using the key phrase "Accessible excursions Ochos Rios" and a few will pop up. You can also check with the cruise lines Special Needs Dept. and or Excursion Dept. to see if they offer any wheelchair accessible tours.

• 1 month later...

Hi there

If getting into a taxi is possible, nobody has suggested just speaking with the taxi drivers at the port. There are always many at that port.

If you have some idea what you might be interested in they could plan a day trip for you, agree on a price beforehand (perhaps an hourly rate) go and have fun there is lots to see.

If you don't want to do anything, there is a nice beach (Ocho Rios Bay Beach) that's a 15 min. walk from the port. I have pushed my wife in her chair many times. It is close, nice and secure, with reasonable facilities. You can do some shopping on your way back to the ship.

hope this helps

Hi there

If getting into a taxi is possible, nobody has suggested just speaking with the taxi drivers at the port. There are always many at that port.

If you have some idea what you might be interested in they could plan a day trip for you, agree on a price beforehand (perhaps an hourly rate) go and have fun there is lots to see.

If you don't want to do anything, there is a nice beach (Ocho Rios Bay Beach) that's a 15 min. walk from the port. I have pushed my wife in her chair many times. It is close, nice and secure, with reasonable facilities. You can do some shopping on your way back to the ship.

hope this helps

Ok thank you very much.

Sent from my VS500 using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
Hey I am Quadriplegic in a big and tall wheelchair and been to Jamaica several times. I used http://www.kenstaxiandtoursjamaica.com

Two times i have gone were great. My last time we went to the beach, drove around the mountains and had a great experience. Our driver Charlie was the best!

The taxis are expensive. My husband and I just did sight seeing and shopped.

Sent from my VS500 using Forums mobile app