What item did you WISH you would have packed?

Guest Time2gocruzn

I remembered the 45 spf sunscreen - but spent $15 for a bottle of aloe vera on ship when the sunscreen (which was 8hr waterproof and reapplied once each hour) failed my oh so sensitive skin! Well, live and burn, I mean learn. I have a lovely tan now that I am home! :o And I didn't peel thanks to liberal aloe vera applications!

I agree with the shoe hangie thing. This past cruise was my first one with the shoe holder. I loved it! All of my counters were clean and so was the room because odds and ends were not lying around. I put everthing in the shoe holder. Medications, make-up, blow dryer, sewing kit, battery charger, drinking bottles, water safes, razors, hair spray, etc... I will never go cruising or anywhere else without it. I am headed to Jamaica in May and plan on taking my shoe thingie with me.

The other very valuable item was the surge protector. I could plug in my razor, hair dryer, battery charger, and laptop and never run out of electricity. It was fabulous.

I can't say that there is anything that I forgot. I have been cruising for 6 years and have perfected our packing list. I know that if I pack by the list, that I will have everything that I will need.

I agree with the shoe hangie thing. This past cruise was my first one with the shoe holder. I loved it! All of my counters were clean and so was the room because odds and ends were not lying around. I put everthing in the shoe holder. Medications, make-up, blow dryer, sewing kit, battery charger, drinking bottles, water safes, razors, hair spray, etc....

I think if you are only using it for your bathroom items, I agree the counters and shelves are probably enough space.

However, I as this poster said, use it for everything. I hate going through all the drawers trying to find where I put things. With the shoe holder, I can at a glance find my sunglasses, sunscreen, post it notes, zip locks, batteries, leatherman and every other thing I bring. :D

I think if you are only using it for your bathroom items, I agree the counters and shelves are probably enough space.

However, I as this poster said, use it for everything. I hate going through all the drawers trying to find where I put things. With the shoe holder, I can at a glance find my sunglasses, sunscreen, post it notes, zip locks, batteries, leatherman and every other thing I bring. :D

I will ditto the last two comments. I loved ours. We hung it on the outside of the bathroom door so that if the bathroom was occupied we could find what we needed without having to interrupt the occupant.

We kept sunscreen, lotion, camera, makeup, brushes, etc in there. Each person also had a compartment or two of their own that held their sunglasses and room key/S&S card. When we walked in, we put them right in the compartment. The only time we had to search for a card was when someone forgot to put it in there. SO CONVENIENT! Especially with a family. :)

As a complete newbie (brand new to cruise critic & never been on a cruise before) these suggestions are fabulous!!

I would have never thought of some of these things on my own! I am making my list as I read! :D

Thanks again!

I found one thing that was really helpful on the one cruise I've been on was a small, light-weight, over the shoulder purse. I was able to keep my room key, sunglasses, and a few other items with me at all times without worrying about what I was going to do with my purse. It was also extremely helpful during shore excursions. I went on a dolphin experience thing where we had to leave our extra items under a little bench...the purse was easy to hide under my normal clothes. :D

A long, waist band, money pouch to wear under your loose-fitting shirts is wonderful for this. True, it is an ugly item; but it is hidden under your feminine tees and shirts.....no biggy. LOVED mine on our first cruise....going to do the same this coming July's cruise.....yeaaaaa!

Our last 2 cruises have been with our kids. We just got off the Miracle yesterday. I forgot the lanyards for my older son and cost $5 on board. My dh got a cord from ocean players club so I used that. Next time am bringing the lanyards. I find now that kids are odler they really use them.

I also would have loved a clock. I do not wear a watch on vacation and what a pain in the middle of the night to find out the time. I am also doing the night light next time. We just kept the light on in the bathroom and left the door a crack open. We had an oceanview and closed the drapes at night so was dark in room.

I found storage excellent and did not use it all with 4 people in the room. I highly recommend the 2 gallon bags.

How old are your kids? We are sailing on the Miracle 6/26/05 with two boys: 10 and 13. We're going with two other families with kids around the same age. Any suggestions or hints to share?

Thanks.

I agree I wish we'd brought a light-up travel alarm clock on our last cruise. Luckily, DH was awake early every morning, so we never missed any shore excursions.

I was going to buy one for our upcoming cruise, BUT I found out that my cell phone has an alarm on it, and the face lights up when you hit any button. So, check out your cell phones before you try to shove an alarm clock into an already overstuffed (if it looks anything like mine!) suitcase! :)

< < < I was going to buy one for our upcoming cruise, BUT I found out that my cell phone has an alarm on it, and the face lights up when you hit any button. So, check out your cell phones before you try to shove an alarm clock into an already overstuffed(if it looks anything like mine!)suitcase!> > >

Remember, that when you are at sea, you won't have cell service; ergo, no alarm clock since your cell won't know "what time it is", since it won't be able to communicate with any cell tower/satellites . . . . . My cells (in 15+ cruises, I've had Sprint and Verizon, as well as my trusty Blackberry) have never been able to track time when out in the open sea; as we close in on a port, it does, but not out in the middle of nowhere. Maybe its just my service though, and others will work? Not sure, maybe someone else has more info on this than what I've experienced.

Remember, that when you are at sea, you won't have cell service; ergo, no alarm clock since your cell won't know "what time it is", since it won't be able to communicate with any cell tower/satellites .

WOW! That's good to know! I knew I wouldn't actually have service out there, but it never crossed my mind that the "clock" function wouldn't be working. I guess I'll make room in my suitcasr for a travel alarm clock after all! :)

For the bathroom and especially the shower, we take some 'suction-cup baskets' for shampoo and soap bottles. Never a good place to set anything while you're washing your hair!

Mike

_

Easily solved... the guys I'm going with, none of us have much (any) in the way of hair.

It's voluntary, for now.

I've been reading these boards for almost a year now, and have sooo been amazed at all of the suggestions and hints available here. Makes cruising seem not as foreign to me. However,

We are 24 days out from sailing for the first time and I have started organzing my stuff and man do I have the stuff!!!!! I just don't know if I need all this stuff. Oh what to do? such a tough decision.

Chelle

I'm not sure anyone mentioned walkie talkies.......they can be a life saver. we started using them 6 years ago on our first cruise. I have noticed the airways are a bit more occupied then they were 6 years ago......i quess alot of people have started using them.. but if you get ones with several channels there should be less problems.

we also use them on the road trip if we are driving more then one car.

I had a nightmare once.............that we were on the ship and forgot the walkie talkies......i couldn't find my kids anywhere, it was terrible.

twice now I dreamed that I forgot my formal dress .....sounds like I need a cruise soon.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='BEEZALAR']this thread is very useful and deserves a bump[/QUOTE]

I agree Beezalar and I have added my compiled list from several threads. Hope it helps someone else.

[font=Arial][size=1]Travel Bag--
Birth Certificate[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]passport[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]copy of cruise documents including boarding pass[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]Driver’s Licenses
Cash/Traveler’s Checks
Credit Cards
Cell Phones
Cell Phone Chargers
Pens
Highlighters
Digital Camera/Charger ? film & other camera[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]garbage bags
Ziplock Baggies
Medicines[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]contacts & stuff[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]flashlight small[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]glasses[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][font=Times New Roman]make-up[/font]
Tylenol
Post it Notes[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]Power strip
Door Decorations
Laynard[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]books

Organization Tools for Room/Miscellaneous--
Dewrinkle spray, febreze,
Alarm Clock
Popup Mesh Laundry
Over the Door Shoe Holder
Suction Cup shampoo holder[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]Renuzit Super Odor Neutralizer
fanny pack etc[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]Duct Tape
Clothes Pins
Alarm Clock
Thermal Cups [/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]Oust disinfecting wipes (Lysol or Clorox brand)
Glade Plugin w/nitelite
Water [/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]Prepertion H Cooling Gel. It works wonders. [/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]something to kill the pain of sun poisoning [/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]aloe vera[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][font=Arial]ibuprofen binoculars for dolphin spotting [font=Times New Roman]feminine hygiene products small, light-weight, over the shoulder purse, sewing kit, water safes, surge protector batteries, [/font][/font]

To The Beach/Etc--
Mesh/Beach Bag cheap plastic watch that I attach to the strap of the beach tote
Bathing Suits/Coverups
Squirt Bottle
Lunch Bag (Collapsible)
Water Bottles
Lip Balm
Sunglasses
Disposable Water Camera
Sunscreen
Bug Spray (some locations need it)
Rain Panchos
Spritzer Mist Bottle (for when it gets hot)[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]hat
[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][/font][size=1] [/size]
[font=Arial][size=1]Tolietries--[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]Liquid Bandaid
Hand Sanitizer (and maybe lysol)
Makeup Bag moisturizer Qtips
Jewlery
Brush
Toothbrushes & paste, floss mouthwash[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]nail polish & remover
Razor/Shaving Creams, blades
Deodorant
Hand Sanitizer
Flat Iron, steamer
Shampoo, Hair dryer, brushes
Bath and Body Works
Soap

Clothes--
PJs[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]jackets purse
Shirts (Hers) Shirts (His)
Pants (Hers) Pants (His)
Shorts/Capri Pants (Hers) Shorts (His)
Underwear (Hers) Underwear (His)
Socks (Hers) Socks (His)
Formal Wear (Hers) Formal Wear (His) ? slip
Shoes (Hers) Shoes (His) sandals, dress shoes, walking shoes[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][font=Arial][size=1]Swimsuits and coverups[/size][/font][/font]
[font=Arial][font=Arial][size=1]2 Fuji underwater disposables and they were $7.99 on sale. Make sure the film is 800 speed - they usually are, it's the best for underwater clarity[/size][/font][/font]
[font=Arial][font=Arial][/font][/font][size=1] [/size]
[font=Arial][font=Arial][size=1]I took a collapsible cooler with me on my last cruise and a whole suitcase of water and soda. Our room stewart filled our cooler with ice for us every morning. the suitcase I used to bring the water/soda will be used on the trip home for all the souvenirs[/size][/font][/font]
[font=Arial][font=Arial][size=1]Pack items like your swimwear and undergarments in ziplocs. I also pack tshirts and shorts this way by rolling the outfit together, place in ziploc, squeeze the air out, toss into the suitcase. The ziplocs come in handy later for soiled clothing. [/size][/font][/font]
[font=Arial][font=Arial][size=1]You definitely want something more solid than that if you're going to give it to the porters to deliver. All the luggage gets thrown in a pile then up the conveyor belt onto the ship. You'll probably have a 'pile' of clothes in that plastic sleeve by the time you get it.... you'd probably want a good luggage garment bag if you're going to use it as checked baggage.[/size][/font][/font]
[font=Arial][font=Arial][size=1]carry our hanging garment bag as carry-on luggage. We put our formal clothes in them, along with the shoes. [/size][/font][/font]
[font=Arial][font=Arial][size=1]bring along a change of each type of clothes as well as swim suits in our carry-ons just in case our luggage doesn't make it.[/size][/font][/font]
[font=Arial][font=Arial][size=1]Word of caution using garment bags. Made the mistake once of using metal hangars. DH's jacket and hangar fell off the safety tab inside and hangar put a hole in his jacket sleeve. I've learned to put duct tape around the end of hangars to make sure they won't puncture our clothes or poke holes in our luggage.[/size][/font][/font]
[font=Arial][font=Times New Roman][size=1]contact my bank before traveling and let them know to expect out of town charges to appear and from what areas. [/size][/font][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]BLAST in the disco and Doc Hollywoods. We enjoyed the Martini Happy Hour before our late dinner seating.

Our tablemates did the 4x4 Tropical safari and really enjoyed that. Lots of friends have raved about the Passion Island Adventure. That is Carnival's own island and only cruisers are there. They say it is gorgeous and the food is wonderful!

If you're looking to do something on your own in Cozumel, I recommend Paradise Beach. It's a short taxi ride from the pier. We took a cruise group there and some parasailed, some rode a banana boat. There was lots of room, plenty comfy lounges with umbrellas and the waiters took excellent care of the group. The food was great too.

Ofcourse there is Carlos 'N Charlies in Cozumel as well as Senor Frogs, if you're looking for a fun party place on your own too. [/size][/font]
[size=1] [/size]
[font=Arial][size=1]On the last day before reaching port on our recent cruise, DH became extremely ill. Vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps, achy muscles, the whole nine yards. Higured it was food poisoning but these days who knows? We had not had the same food the night before and I showed no symptoms. Myself, I was feeling the effects of a very rough sea, but that's entirely different. I can't tell you what a feeling of helplessness I had, knowing we had to pack and get ourselves home the next day and both feeling so totally rotten. Home seemed a million miles away! He refused to go to the Infirmary (I guess it's a guy thing:p). I finally convinced him to take some Traveler's Friend that I had brought with me from home. It's a citricidal, used to purify water. Within a little over an hour, he was feeling so much better that we were able to order room service, get the packing done and feel a glimmer of hope to get actually be able to get home! By then the seas had calmed too, so I was feeling much better as well.

I would never EVER leave home for a cruise now without my Friend. It's also known as grapefruit seed extract. It is mixed with water and tastes horrible, but it will clear up GI problems when nothing else will. No, I don't sell this stuff or have any connection to it in any way other than knowing this stuff works wonders both at home and on a cruise![/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1][font=Arial][font=Times New Roman]Also, remember that there are two cocktail parties, one for the early seatings, as well as one for the late crowd. Nothing stops you from going to both! [/font]
[/font][font=Arial][/font][/size][/font]
[font=Arial][font=Arial][size=1]Not to sure if this is a big secret but if you have the souvernier glass you can order any frozen drink as a refill not just the drink of the day. They do charge you the price of the other frozen drink you ordered but you get it in the bigger glass.[/size][/font][/font]
[font=Arial][font=Arial][size=1]bring lots of $1 and $5 bills for tipping cab drivers, porters, and to have the exact change when bartering at the straw markets and stores in port.[/size][/font][/font]
[font=Arial][font=Arial][size=1]you can order room service sandwiches to take on excursions with you, just take some ziplock baggies with you. This is especially helpful if you have a delicate tummy or picky kids.[/size][/font][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2][font=Arial][size=2][size=1]Don't forget the power strip and extension cord, only one outlet in each cabin.

Check the Capers ... towards the end of the week the Internet use is cheaper. Also, sales are at the end of the cruise[/size]
[/size][/font][/size][/font]

Things I WILL be taking and wished I had in the past:
Outlet adapter (never enough outlets)
extra shirts (first cruise, only took 3 including formal) long story
an extra bag (happen to buy in the gift shop first cruise)
my pda (its my book, mp3 player, translater, currency converter,
and game to play while waiting to debark)

As for the clock radio, we bought the smallest Clock radio/CD player we could find. Its nice to put something light on to mask the pitterpatter of others stumbling to their cabins while trying to sleep.

[quote name='CuplACruzrs']
[font=Arial][size=1]Birth Certificate[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=1]passport[/size][/font]
[font=Arial][size=2][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font][/size][/font][/QUOTE]

Great list! Just wondered though....if you have a passport, a birth certificate is not really needed, right??

Guest Time2gocruzn
Replying to my own question now that I am back, lol.

I wish I would have brought my own pop.

I drink a lot of diet coke. I knew I wouldn't be buying much as far as souviners and junk, so I thought I would splurge and get the soda card. Boy, was I disappointed. Every bartender at every bar fills a small cup FULL with ice. Then they open a can of pop and pour it in the glass. Between the size of the cup and all the ice, you probably get half a can of pop if you are lucky. They won't give you the rest of the can and they won't give you more than one glass at a time. They also leave the open can behind the bar for the next person who comes and orders the same kind. I got many pops that were flat, I am guessing because they sat open so long. The bartenders were really slow too. If I were to try and get as much pop as I usually drink, or even $50 bucks worth (cost of the card) it would have been a full time project. PLUS coke is like my coffee and the bars don't open till 9, and the bars are the only place you can get pop. What a BIG waste of $$. Oh yeah don't fall for the red tumbler with a lid they are selling with a carnival/coca cola logo on it. It is like $5 if you purchase a soda card and they will fill it at any bar. I bought it because I thought it would hold more that the bar cups, it didn't, it actually held LESS:mad:

I didn't want to hassle with dragging on my own pop because we were traveling with small kids and all their stuff, but you can bet next time I will figure out a way to bring my own, lol.:D

[quote name='djklove']Replying to my own question now that I am back, lol.

I wish I would have brought my own pop.

I drink a lot of diet coke. I knew I wouldn't be buying much as far as souviners and junk, so I thought I would splurge and get the soda card. Boy, was I disappointed. Every bartender at every bar fills a small cup FULL with ice. Then they open a can of pop and pour it in the glass. Between the size of the cup and all the ice, you probably get half a can of pop if you are lucky. They won't give you the rest of the can and they won't give you more than one glass at a time. They also leave the open can behind the bar for the next person who comes and orders the same kind. I got many pops that were flat, I am guessing because they sat open so long. The bartenders were really slow too. If I were to try and get as much pop as I usually drink, or even $50 bucks worth (cost of the card) it would have been a full time project. PLUS coke is like my coffee and the bars don't open till 9, and the bars are the only place you can get pop. What a BIG waste of $$. Oh yeah don't fall for the red tumbler with a lid they are selling with a carnival/coca cola logo on it. It is like $5 if you purchase a soda card and they will fill it at any bar. I bought it because I thought it would hold more that the bar cups, it didn't, it actually held LESS:mad:

I didn't want to hassle with dragging on my own pop because we were traveling with small kids and all their stuff, but you can bet next time I will figure out a way to bring my own, lol.:D[/QUOTE]

Do you know how much it is to order a coke at a bar? And do they charge you at dinner for a coke? I'm rethinking the card....the last time it was $39. TIA.

Archived