What item did you WISH you would have packed?

Guest Time2gocruzn

I learned a valuable lesson this last cruise; take proper quantities of consumables. We didn't FORGET to bring any specific item, but we RAN OUT OF deodorant, sunscreen, ibuprofen, pepto, conditioner....
Don't forget, you'll probably be taking 2 showers/day, eating more, and using the restroom more.
:o Important Tip: Baby wipes are much "gentler" than toilet tissue, pack plenty.

I wish I had brought more sunscreen. It wasn't cheap on the ship or in port.

More quick-dry, lightweight shorts with lots of pockets so you don't need to haul a purse or bag with you around the ship.

Things I brought that I didn't use:
Flashlight, over the door shoe thingy (just got in the way--ziplock bags worked better), garment steamer (there are irons on board in the laundry room).

Thanks, that helps - last cruise I forgot my sunscreen and tanning lotion - I refused to buy any on the ship :>(

I am thinking of buying a travel iron - on the last two ships there were no laundry rooms and the cleaners was expensive.

We were on the Valor on April 3rd-10th and we had a great time. IMHO the best thing to do is to print off one of the packing lists that someone has already done and go thru it with a pen and mark off the things that you really need(power bar,sunscreen, toothbrush, etc) and eliminate the things that you won't use(Crockpot). We did use our clear plastic over-the-door shoe thingy and will probably never cruise again without it. All that time you take searching for little things(sewing kit, binochulars, film, tweezers, sunscreen,etc) are easily accessable and close at hand.:D BTW...the Valor was awesome and we had a great time. Favorite port: Costa Maya-Majuhaul(sp:confused: ) and Roatan Island. Would return tomorrow if we could afford it.

CandB

Oh yeah, we forgot to mention...pick up a couple of $3.00 rain panchos from Walmart and keep them in your backpack while on your shore excursions...we got caught in a tremendous downpour a few cruises back and will never go again without them.

Just got off the Carnival Triumph and wish I had brought my own hair blow dryer. Yes, there is one in the bathroom BUT it is very old and without much power. I can't even imagine trying to dry long hair with it. Also, it is attached to THE BATHROOM WALL. So, if someone else is using the bathroom, you are out of luck till they finish their shower (or whatever) and then the bathroom is SOOO humid (or whatever) who wants to be trying to dry their hair there???

Since I have cruised so many times, I got cocky, and last cruise I packed at the last minute, not really thinking about it, and forgot SUNSCREEN, and an evening bag.

In the words of Stewie from Family Guy - "IMBICILE!"

Zip Lock Baggies:

We carry extras of all sizes for all kinds of items.

1. Shells or Sand you want to bring back from the beach.

2. Sliced lemons and limes for drinks in your room (zip them and drop into your ice bucket.)

3. Put your camera in one before leaving for port or excursions. Keeps the camera away from wet towels, bathing suits, or dry in a rain storm. I carry a beach bag and the camera gets tossed in with everything else in port.

4. I keep a ziplock baggie in my beach bag filled with Eye Drops (contact lens wearer), small suntan lotion, lipstick and vaseline for lips, kleenex, pack of antibacterial hand wipes, breath mints, pen and pad of paper, pony tail holder.

5. Each of our pass ports is in a zip lock. Last cruise my husband's water bottle cap was loose in his back back. :eek: It was filled with tea and soaked everything but the camera and his passport. :cool:

6. I've started packing all of my clothes in baggies too, the same way people use space bags. I can fit two pairs of shorts in a 2 gallon size bag, tank tops go into the 1 gallon size. All casual clothes go into baggies and come out without a wrinkle.

Zip Lock Bags - Millions of Uses!

I am going to carefully check my traveling medicine cabinet before I leave next time. It was not that these things were expensive at the ship store, it was rather that they did not have them! I cut my leg on some coral in St. Thomas and ended up with aasty infection because I had no antibiotic ointment. I developed a bit of a cough and suffered because there was no cough medicine to be had. Forgot my razor and tweezers too. The ship store did not have any but the most disgusting disposables that would have eaten my legs up! Had a couple days leg growth until we got to St. Thomas where they had a relatively decent drug store. Although I did pay an arm and a leg. I did, however, see crew members returning to the ship with KMart bags in St. Thomas. I think if I had not been so tired from my day I would have meandered in that direction for the stuff I forgot. So, the only things that I really wish I had were simple and did not take up much room.

My mantra for my next trip is to leave half the clothes at home. Even though laundry is expensive on the ship, I would rather re-wear my favorites than have the good stuff dirty and wear the second string, so to speak. Also took 3 bathing suits last time, which was a great idea. Hate putting on a wet suit. I also think I will simplify my formal wear by taking one basic black dress and adding two different shawls with different hair accessories. I really like the look, it is comfortable and I don't need all the other stuff.

Twice in as many trips my bags have been searched and I also had to rearrange contents of bags when one came in overweight. I was so glad I had packed using space bags. When my carryon was searched because I had a scuba regulator that apparently could be used for a weapon, the TSA official did not have to paw through my underwear because everything was encased in plastic. Much more pleasant for all concerned I think. It does make repacking dirty stuff easier as well. I also use zip locks for all of my toiletries. Never have to worry about shampoo leaking all over everything.

An extra night light bulb. On the first night my bulb blew. We ended up leaving the bathroom door open just a bit.

Crazy glue. On the second day the frame on my prescription sun glasses got cracked and I was able to find some at a CVS in Key West. Doubt I would have found any at the gift shops in Mexico!

• 3 months later...
I'm packing today as well for the 4 of us and I'm exhausted!! I have six TYPED pages of stuff on my list and very little of it is even clothes!! I just don't see how people are able to cruise with just bringing on a carryon bag!! I was stunned when I read that thread. They must wear the same thing everyday and just skip formal nights.

After 3 cruises, we are doing just that on the Caribbean Princess on 9/3! We we are each taking 1 - 21" carry on that is on rollers and a handle and 1-regular bag carry on. I am so excited that I got all my things in the 21" bag!!! The last 3 cruises, I took way to many clothes and shoes so this time I am taking a lot less...3 pairs of pants with 6 shirts (one pair being black lace for formal night), one pair of shorts, one skirt, 2 pair of dress sandles and 2 bathing suits...and of course the normal stuff like underware. But that's pretty much it! We won't have to check luggage at the airport or at the port. Very excited!

If you are prone to cold sores bring the Abreva....many people get them when in the sun alot. That stuff is expensive and who knows if you would find it. One of our CC friends had a whole bunch of them last year on a cruise and she felt so horrible; they can really make you sick. At least with the Abreva you can get over them quicker

Also a sweatshirt....late at night on the Lido (like after Cozumel) it gets chilly. I bought a Carnival sweatshirt last year, and plan on bringing it with me.

Didn't bring sweatshirts, and ended up buying some while onboard because it was CHILLY the first day at sea.

DID NOT use the over-the-door shoe hanger.

Took flashlights AND taplights ~ next time will only take 1 or the other.

After 3 cruises, we are doing just that on the Caribbean Princess on 9/3! We we are each taking 1 - 21" carry on that is on rollers and a handle and 1-regular bag carry on. I am so excited that I got all my things in the 21" bag!!!

Are you allowed 2 carry-ons per person for the plane? I thought you were limited to 1 carry-on and 1 personal item such as a purse.

Archived