Bringing your own wine to Normandie

AUNTDEBBA

It never ceases to amaze me how well informed and what a great resource people on here can be.

I had a question that someone here might be able to answer... Do you know if one can find a good Barolo on the X wine list (on the Conny). Otherwise we might bring some along and pay corkage... it'd be nice to be able to have a glass on the balcony too from time to time... ;)

It never ceases to amaze me how well informed and what a great resource people on here can be.

I had a question that someone here might be able to answer... Do you know if one can find a good Barolo on the X wine list (on the Conny). Otherwise we might bring some along and pay corkage... it'd be nice to be able to have a glass on the balcony too from time to time... ;)

Yes, we had one in December '04 (Summit, but same list) that was quite nice. I can't recall specifically which one it was, and it may have come from the specialty restaurant list (you can order those for main dining, too, but let your sommelier know ahead that you'd like to have one of those wine lists brought up). One of the 2000 Scavino wines rings a bell, but that could have been subsequent to the trip.

I WILL grab a list on my next trip! Can't trust myself to remember lists anymore.

Ah, another one that plans to drink his grandchildren's inheritance! So much wine, so little time...

Do you already have an '85 in the cellar in waiting?

Two, actually. I bought one in Rome for about $90 and another was a gift from an Italian vintner friend. I still have an '89 and two remaining '77s. No way could I afford now to buy a Sassicaia of any vintage. For Italian quality at a decent price, I am looking more and more to to Puglia, Calabria and Sicily. Some recent favorites: Librandi Gravello, a huge age-worthy red from Calabria and Patriglione, also age-worthy red and similar to a good amarone.

Both are under $40.

Two, actually.
Good thing!
Some recent favorites: Librandi Gravello, a huge age-worthy red from Calabria and Patriglione, also age-worthy red and similar to a good amarone.

Both are under $40.

The '98 Gravello is definitely a keeper, but I haven't tried any of the more recent vintages. A friend of mine in the UK turned me on to that one, but I can't find any '98 here now.

I've just picked up a couple of bottles of '98 Boroli Barolo for $30. WS liked it, and WE Magazine gave it a 91 and an editor's pick for "value". Will be interesting to see how they turn out.

Archived