Getting Out Of Galveston

Cardinala

Hey everyone.

We booked a cruise out of Galveston for next month.

After doing several searches on here, I see that everyone basically has run into the same problem......car rentals are almost nonexistent.

We have scheduled the Carnival shuttle for our trip from the airport (Bush) to the port. So that is covered.

However, we extended our stay for an extra 3 days to visit some relatives in Angleton. I just figured I'd rent a van for the 6 of us and return it on the Sunday at the airport......that was a bad assumption.

Are there any car rental properties in neighbouring cities? Perhaps I could taxi to? Private shuttle companies?

Any suggestions?

The lack of transportation in the area cannot be good for the tourism business.

Hey everyone.

We booked a cruise out of Galveston for next month.

After doing several searches on here, I see that everyone basically has run into the same problem......car rentals are almost nonexistent.

We have scheduled the Carnival shuttle for our trip from the airport (Bush) to the port. So that is covered.

However, we extended our stay for an extra 3 days to visit some relatives in Angleton. I just figured I'd rent a van for the 6 of us and return it on the Sunday at the airport......that was a bad assumption.

Are there any car rental properties in neighbouring cities? Perhaps I could taxi to? Private shuttle companies?

Any suggestions?

The lack of transportation in the area cannot be good for the tourism business.

Can your freinds help?

A quick Google tells me that there are 5 Hertz, 2 Enterprise and (maybe) a Budget on Galveston Island.

What am I missing?

OK, here is something I am missing:

PLEASE NOTE: There is not a vehicle rental office at this location. This vehicle may need to be coordinated for pick-up and/or drop-off. That's four out of the five locations and the one that actually has a rental office is in Texas City.

For Enterprise, there is a location on Broadway.

Budget doesn't seem to know whether they have an office there or not. Ah, they finally decided: nope, they don't have one.

So, looks like Enterprise would be it....have you tried them?

A quick Google tells me that there are 5 Hertz, 2 Enterprise and (maybe) a Budget on Galveston Island.

What am I missing?

OK, here is something I am missing:

PLEASE NOTE: There is not a vehicle rental office at this location. This vehicle may need to be coordinated for pick-up and/or drop-off. That's four out of the five locations and the one that actually has a rental office is in Texas City.

For Enterprise, there is a location on Broadway.

Budget doesn't seem to know whether they have an office there or not. Ah, they finally decided: nope, they don't have one.

So, looks like Enterprise would be it....have you tried them?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Only one

Enterprise, no others!

Not open on Sunday!

Unless some things are changing

with Voyager in Galveston Port now.

Call them!

The ONE rental agency is not open on Sunday.

Now is that poor business, or what? Sorry to hear that!

Yes you are correct! The only one rental car agency!

Hopefully it will change soon!!!!!

The transporation to the airports is better here now,

through the improved shuttle services, from what we hear and read.

We live in Galveston!

Also things should continue to change for the better with Magic, Mariner and Triumpth coming to Galveston.

Also airline service should be better with access from northeast and western US into Houston with new airlines into Hobby Airport besides Southwest!

Perhaps an option for you would be to have your friends/family in Angleton rent a van for you and pick you up at the port...there is an Enterprise rental agency in the Lake Jackson/Angleton area. Then you could drive from there to the airport for drop off.

If your friends in Angleton cannot help with the arrangements your next best option is probably to rent a car at Hobby airport.

Hobby is the smaller of Houston's two airports but it is south of town and only about 40 minutes from Galveston.

You can probably pick-up at Hobby and drop-off at Bush without paying an additional fee but I do not know that for sure so check with the rental companies to verify.

If it were me, I would go to Hobby alone on the Carnival shuttle as early as possible and return to Galveston to pick-up the rest of my party.

If your friends in Angleton cannot help with the arrangements your next best option is probably to rent a car at Hobby airport.

Hobby is the smaller of Houston's two airports but it is south of town and only about 40 minutes from Galveston.

You can probably pick-up at Hobby and drop-off at Bush without paying an additional fee but I do not know that for sure so check with the rental companies to verify.

If it were me, I would go to Hobby alone on the Carnival shuttle as early as possible and return to Galveston to pick-up the rest of my party.

Ahhhhhh.........We may have a winner here.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Ahhhhhh.........We may have a winner here.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I hope you have a bit more luck with the Carnival shuttle to Hobby, than we did with RCI. We are staying overnight in Houston after returning from our Voyager cruise on the 23rd of January, and I figured we could just book the RCI shuttle to Hobby Airport and pick up a rental car for a day. Royal advised me that the shuttle was ONLY for people who were flying out that day and would not accommodate us . You have to give them your flight number, carrier, time, etc. :( Good luck.. I sure hope it works for you since it would solve your problem! :)

I ended up booking a limo pickup at Galveston.

Georgene,

I had a friend with the first name of Georgene whose father was in the AF and served with mine. Not a very common first name. Just wondering.. Thanks for the quick response.

My DW and I will be on the T/A from Rome to Galveston in Oct/Nov. Are you planning on cruising on this one? A lot of Texans are signed up.

Archived