Bridge over the River Kwai.

Port 11

We were on a land based trip to Bangkok,Thailand when we visited these sights. We rented a car w. driver from our hotel. The bridge,itself, was not that

memorable [despite the movie] but we will never forget the [small] POW museum and our solemn, prayful walk through that cemetery. It is a journey well worth taking.

We did this as an overnight-2 days. We were sailing with Seabourn and arranged our trip some weeks before that from England.

We found it very interesting and moving. The trip form Bangkok took about 2 hours by car.

We stayed at a lovely small hotel resort on the banks of the River Kwai.

An excellent tour.

Kind regards

Tony

I was there back in August - not on a cruise, just traveling about Thailand. Pretty cool. We took a train over the bridge, got off the train, then walked back across the bridge. The bridge is very rickety, so be careful. And definitely watch for more trains coming.

You won't really need a guide there, as it is a major tourist stop and you can get by knowing basic, minimal Thai.

I visited the area a few years back when I was on a business trip. I booked an inclusive package which included staying on a floating hotel on the river itself - it was wonderful. We travelled there by small minibus stopping at the cemetaries and museum. As someone else mentioned the bridge itself is nothing special but the area is amazing. I then returned by train which was also fascinating.

Plummy, I did a private overnight tour once with friends from Regent (from Bangkok) in the middle of a cruise with a private guide. Have written my friend who arranged it, and I'm sure she will respond either here or via email to me. This guide was great. American as I remember, who moved there and married a Thai lady. He was perfect. We had a great lunch at a restaurant next to the bridge, and he explained to them that we wanted the "local taste" (you know what that means since you've been there!)

There are lots of tour companies in Bangkok who arrange one day trips. We enjoyed it so much that the following year we booked a 2 day/one night tour and stayed in a hotel on the banks of the River Kwai (not near the bridge - we caught the local train fron the bridge and got off about an hour later) We were looked after wonderfully well by the tour company, whose name I can't remember, but all companies seem to get good reports.We booked the 2 day trip online and were picked up at our Bangkok hotel, but booked the one day tour at the hotel. Try Tripadvisor Bangkok forum for lots of info A not-to-be-missed experience.

We did this last year with a combined trip on the Oriental Express... Exceptional tour included in the cabin fees. We stopped over the bridge, took a boat down the river, went to the museum and also the cemetery... Highly recommended...

--a

Archived