What would you do if your boss will not approve your vacation time?

Just curious what people would do if their boss would not approve vacation time for their Allure cruise (even though you booked the cruise 1 1/2 year ago)?

I ask because that is what I'm going through. We are excited cruising on the Allure but we are also celebrating our wedding anniversary. :(

Hello, fellow UK fan (I used to live in Lexington :) ). Is it possible to change the date of your cruise? If you're independently wealthy, then perhaps you can give your notice and go on the cruise. ;)

Sorry for your troubles... good luck sorting it out.

Just curious what people would do if their boss would not approve vacation time for their Allure cruise (even though you booked the cruise 1 1/2 year ago)?

I ask because that is what I'm going through. We are excited cruising on the Allure but we are also celebrating our wedding anniversary. :(

Ever see the movie 9-5 ? Just sayin' :)

No paid vacation or unpaid vacation?

For the money aspect, this is why cancel for any/work reason insurance is useful. It won't recoup your entire cost but weighing the cost of your job vs your week long vacation, I'm guessing the job is more valuable in this economy.

I'd do two things, assuming you are beyond final payment date:

1. Call RCL to find out what the policy is and how much of your $/credit you could get back. See if they have a vacation protection plan that would fit your situation - to "save" as much of your payment as possible

2. Cross posting to the cruise insurance board to see if you can get some ideas there on cancel for work reasons insurance http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

It's a personal decision on what you'd like to do. I'd try to work it out with my boss, seeing if there are other options such as working several weekends or longer days prior to the trip. If it is a matter of not having enough paid vacation time, you could see if you can "borrow" or use unpaid time. Not knowing your relationship with your boss or job, it could be possible you'd want to keep quiet and work on resolving it with RCL or offering up the spot to a sibling/in-law (not romantic, but possibly better scenario if you'll lose your entire cruise cost).

Oh boy. This sounds like a lose-lose situation so the real question is how much are you willing to lose with either choice. If you take the vacation then you may lose your job or suffer serious career-related consequences; if you stay and work, then you'll lose the money you paid for your trip.

This is a very difficult economy and jobs are scarce at best. I'd try reasoning with your boss first. If you've worked for the company for several years then you should be able to argue your point. Maybe explain to him your years of loyal service, etc, etc. If he still says no, then IMHO you have no choice but to cancel your trip. I know that doesn't sound fair but think about it like this. At least you won't have to explain to an interviewer that the reason you were let go from your last job was because you chose to take an unapproved 1 week vacation.

Thanks everyone for all your comments. I actually booked and paid for the cruise before I was hired about 1 1/2 year ago. Which my manager was hired 3 months after me. As for the paid or unpaid - it would be paid vacation days. And I carried over 5 days from 2010 - so I'm not really a person who takes a lot of time off from my job. I guess that doesn't really matter. I think he is afraid to approve my vacation because he wants to get his manager's feedback before he approves it. It's just frustrating that everything was good until we got closer to the date. Which I'm not sure less than 3 months away is really close to the date. I guess I just wanted to let off some steam. Thanks everyone for letting me. Keep your fingers crossed maybe it will be approved by my manager's boss.

I probably would have let them know when they hired me that I already had a trip scheduled. This happened to me years ago when I started a new job and I had already scheduled a 2 week trip to South America- no problem since I told them right up front that I was going. I think I was only there a few months before my vacation(unpaid since I had just started). Now I try to get my vacation slip in as soon as we book- never too early to make sure I get the time off!

Sounds like you are in a tough situation. Best of luck that your leave time gets approved and you can go on your cruise and have a wonderful time.

If it doesn't, I would ask what date would be good for the company for you to take a week off. Get it in writing.

Did you document your request? Did your boss reply yes via email or some other?

Just go! Enjoy! Happy Anniversary!

If you got fired, it would seem that you have a court fight.

Happy sails!

~ Liz

Hey Liz,

If it doesn't get approved - maybe I'll see you on your 4/3 or 4/11 cruise :)

Thanks again everyone for your comments.

Where I'm currently employed, I would definitely give notice. My situation is quite different than most of you out there.

A different employer would likely cause me to have a different reaction.

Good luck, and I hope you can sway your boss.

Hello....

A logical solution is to take evidence of the purchase date to your supervisor and personnel office, explain the financial cost of the investment, the loss of income if you don't use it and hope they understand. If they don't then you have a problem. The reality is that lots of people have to forego vacation time because of work needs.

Good Luck....

Hello....

A logical solution is to take evidence of the purchase date to your supervisor and personnel office, explain the financial cost of the investment, the loss of income if you don't use it and hope they understand. If they don't then you have a problem. The reality is that lots of people have to forego vacation time because of work needs.

Good Luck....

Great suggestion!

Good luck on getting your time off and know the issues with getting time off as I had to push our vacation back a year due to work issues.......Hope it all works out for you!!

So, your request hasn't officially been turned down, right? It sounds like your immediate manager just wanted to confirm it with HIS boss. No biggie.

Likely it won't be denied, unless it falls into a particularly busy time for your department.

Does your immediate manager understand the situation, in terms of what you'd lose, should you have to cancel at this point?

I wouldn't go to HR, guns blazing and fistful of paperwork, until and unless you have a good reason. Most of the time, HR does not exist for us working folks, but rather for the benefit of the company, so if you can avoid that...

Please do let us know what happens. We're all keeping a good thought.

At 4:30pm Friday - my vacation was approved! I think my manager was trying to give me a hard time - no big deal as long as it's approved I'm so happy - that is all that matters!

Let the planning continue. Thanks again for everyone's support and comments. You guys were a huge help and an outlet for me to express my frustrations and making sure I wasn't crazy for being upset! Thanks again to all my CC Buddies! :D

At 4:30pm Friday - my vacation was approved! I think my manager was trying to give me a hard time - no big deal as long as it's approved I'm so happy - that is all that matters!

Let the planning continue. Thanks again for everyone's support and comments. You guys were a huge help and an outlet for me to express my frustrations and making sure I wasn't crazy for being upset! Thanks again to all my CC Buddies! :D

YIPPEEE!!!! My boss makes fun of me as I have had her approve vacation time for a cruise on a ship that has not even been built yet:eek:

Something similar happened to me. My boss approved my vacation and I went ahead with all plans. Then one of my co workers didn't get his work done and I got blamed for it. Boss called us both in and told me I couldn't go on vacation until work was done (one day before) When I told him this was impossible and it wasnt my responsibility he fired me on the spot! This was over 10 yrs.ago and he later apologized to me. I got some of the work done and right after the cruise I just resigned and walked out. Went to court and got all my benefits!

Archived