Is it safe to book

I have been price shopping for a cruise in Nov 2005 and all of the online travel agencies are significantly lower than the cruise line company. Is it safe to use them? I am a little scared, have always booked directly thru the cruise line.

Thank you.

Like everything else, some are better than others. Have you also priced this cruise through a "real" travel agent? A good one can get you nearly as good (or as good) pricing, and you have a person and a building you can visit and talk to if you have any questions.

When we chose to book online, we got a few books from the library on cruising and booked through one that had come recommended from several of the books. It turned out they had a great price and have been wonderful at responding quickly to our emails.

I'll admit that even thought they came recommended, I was still nervous. I called the cruise line the day after our deopist was made and they had already received the money and could confirm our itinerary. At every turn, this company has treated us well. I know the community guidelines here preclude mentioning specific travel agents so if you want to email me, I'll tell you who we booked through and will describe our experience.

crankywriter@gmail.com

I found a great deal online and called my travel agent who said he could match the price! From what he told me, they try to match prices.

FYI - the cruise line can NEVER advertise for cheaper than what the TA can offer so they are generally advertised much higher than online websites!

The best thing to do is to do a lot of homework. Get a notebook and keep notes. Check with online agencies, local TAs, and the cruiseline itself. Be SURE and get the "bottom line" figure. You don't want any surprises later, like oh, and after we add port charges and taxes..... y'know? It's also good to ask what their policy is on any changes you might have to make later, like name changes, cancellations, etc. Lots of agencies charge extra for these services. After you've done your homework, then you'll be able to make an intelligent decision. Everybody has their own "best" way to book a cruise. Good luck.:)

Archived