Yet Another Cayman Time vs. Ship Time Question - Please help!

FallingSilver02

Hi all -

I just can't seem to get this ship time vs. Cayman time concept through my noggin - the more I think about it, the more confused I get! We are cruising on the Carnival Glory in May, and hope to take the Stingray City tour with Stingray Sailings. Our ship docks at 10am (EST I assume, as we are coming from Miami) and the tour begins at 10:30am local time, and we need to meet them at 10:15am local time at the port.

So my question is, does this leave us enough time to make it to the tour - or are we cutting it too close?? Are we docking at 9am or 11am local time?

It depends on if your ship changes to local time

This site may help or may confuse you more

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html

I do not think Cayman changes to DST so they will be 1 hr behind Miami

That said if you book a tour for 15 minutes after arrival you will not make it

The ship is huge & you must tender ashore ...it takes time

If you are with a ships tour you usually get priority

Not sure how Carnival works

Ask on the Carnival forum... others have done this cruise before & can advise you

Pleaase let me know if I have this straight then, We will be on the Carnival Legend, arriving March 15 and in port from 7-4. DST begins on March 13th.

The tour I want is from 10-2 local time. Am I understanding correctly that this would actually be 11-3 ship time? and if so, does that give us enough time to get back onboard?

I've only tendered at HMC and we evacuated early due to a storm, so not sure what time last tender usually is, or how long it takes.

Thanks

Pleaase let me know if I have this straight then, We will be on the Carnival Legend, arriving March 15 and in port from 7-4. DST begins on March 13th.

The tour I want is from 10-2 local time. Am I understanding correctly that this would actually be 11-3 ship time? and if so, does that give us enough time to get back onboard?

Thanks

Is it a private tour?

You probably need to be at the tender dock at 3pm to get in line

The transfer does not take long if the seas are good but it is the line-ups

If you are in line they will get back on the ship before sail away

good luck

I have never been on a ship that did not change to local time

Seems like a recipe for missing the ship to me

I've only tendered at HMC and we evacuated early due to a storm, so not sure what time last tender usually is, or how long it takes.

Thanks

Your ship will be departing from and remain on EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) throughout its journey. In other words it will have already "sprung forward" an hour. Grand Caymen is in the Eastern time zone but does not observer daylight savings time. Hence it will not have "sprung forward" and will be on Eastern Standard Time. Since Grand Caymen doesn't spring forward the ships time will be 1 hour ahead of Grand Caymen time. So to convert local Grand Cayman time to your ships time add an hour which does in fact put the 10 - 2 local time at 11 - 3 ship time. If by ending you mean the tour has you back at the pier then you should be fine getting back to the pier at 2:00local/3:00ship. In my cruising experience the last tender is typically a half hour before the ship's departure time which would be 2:30local/3:30ship in your case. So, you've got about a half hour buffer. I guess it just depends on how much you trust your tour to have you back in time.

• 1 month later...

thank you Ocntscha, I am on the Glory leaving April 3. I booked stingray city thru Captain Marvin we are meeting on the dock at 11:15am. The ship time is 10:00am -7:00pm so grand cayman time will be 9am -6pm. That will be perfect we will have plenty of time before and after our tour.

Carnival stays on the time from where the ship leaves from--the Glory leaves from Miami so the ship will always be on eastern time.

I am going the on Carnival Liberty in April and it lists us arriving in local time. The local port shows us arriving the same time as well. Both are the same. Some ships apparently use local time.

Archived