Fuel surcharges

Parsman

Our cabin stewardess was fine and so we gave her advised amount of tips in the envelope. Our waiters were absolutely fantastic and always went 'the extra mile' so they had more than was recommended, because they deserved it.

That is the advantage of personal tipping over the automatic addition to the onboard account.

I'm really annoyed that days after paying £5,500 balance for the Balmoral Italy cruise in July, I have been hit with a £250 fuel surcharge. I've seen the same cruise advertised at a much lower price in recent weeks and it really leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I've been a loyal customer for the past 7 years but I feel my loyalty has been abused. My wife wants me to cancel but I would probably lose all my money if I did. I shall certainly consider other cruise lines in future.

When you say "paying for afternoon tea" - what exactly do you mean. On P&O, we normally pop up tothe buffet and get a cup of tea. Or do you mean full tea with cakes and buns and things, cos we don't eat that. And "prepaid" tips? Do you mean, tips are added to the bill and you can remove them? That's what we have been told.

OK< On sea days F.O. is doing 'special' teas, which is on the Braemar was in the Observatory lounge on a sea day, with waitress service. A choice of tea, some I had not heard of, but very nice, sandwiches, cake, warm scones with Jam & Cream. Could have a champagne or similar to start with as well. It just made a nice change, especially with everyone on board for tea

If you book a 2012 cruise before 31 August, 2011 there will be no fuel surcharge. See the full details ***** the Fred. Olsen website. They have already lifted these on the 2012 "Grand Voyages". Some good news despite the continuing sky-high price of crude oil.;)

Thank you - got this in a letter from the travel agent last week, so pleasing to see those who book early, are rewarded even more. Now we at least know the price we have agreed is the price we re paying in 2012

Hi Steve, hope you are both well. We have booked with Princess for next year, but it is very expensive compared to "Fred" this year. Our friends that we are going with chose this cruise as it is going to Belize, Honduras and Bahamas and he thinks Fred is "small and grotty"!! What does he know - he's never been on anything but Princess!

I love the Braemar,but I think Fred is changing a lot of things that loyal customers won't like. Things like paying for afternoon tea, prepaid tips and now this business with fuel charges. Would you lose money if you cancelled? Remember, the prices are much higher next year on all holidays!

Hi Linda, hope you have a great time on your Caribbean cruise next year. Now the surcharge does not have to be paid, and the afternoon teas are only paid for special teas, there should not be too much difference.

As this is Fred's last year with a ship out there for the winter season, we will stick with him for next January.

Hi Linda, hope you have a great time on your Caribbean cruise next year. Now the surcharge does not have to be paid, and the afternoon teas are only paid for special teas, there should not be too much difference.

As this is Fred's last year with a ship out there for the winter season, we will stick with him for next January.

Hi Steve,

Ray says if he wins the lottery, he will book the 8th December cruise on Braemar:) So far he has only won £20:D:D

I don't think the new way of paying gratuities is that bad and i'm sure some other ships have higher rates. As for the fuel surcharge, i hope booking now for a cruise at the beginning of September 2012 means i qualify not to have to pay.

Hi Steve,

Ray says if he wins the lottery, he will book the 8th December cruise on Braemar:) So far he has only won £20:D:D

Hi Linda

Suggest he tries to do it for the 5th January, as thats when we are on the Braemar :)

Hi Linda

Suggest he tries to do it for the 5th January, as thats when we are on the Braemar :)

Hi Steve,

Yes it would be nice but I think that might be a trifle too close to our Princess cruise on the 4th Feb;) We might as well stay out there:D I think he fancied the 8th December because it is going to the Bahamas. Still we have 3 cruises booked now, so mustn't be greedy. Also savings dwindling fast:(

Archived