College Kids and HAL

I have been a HAL customer and have always enjoyed my cruises. My youngest child is getting ready to graduate high school and I have two others that are in college. I was considering sending the three of them on a cruise. Since I have not traveled other lines, I don't have a comparison so for those who have, please let me know your thoughts. Would HAL be the best place for them or would there be a better line? The kids range from 18 - 22. Are that allowed to travel on HAL? Somewhere I thought I heard there were restrictions on individuals under 25. Thank you all in advance for your thoughts.

Carnival is the line with the restriction that if there is someone in the cabin under 21, there must be someone in the cabin 25. I believe on HAL if you have someone in the cabin who is 21, the 18y/o can sail without parents. Have your kids ever sailed with you? What did they enjoy about the cruises? Personally, I think at that age I would have been happy to be sent on a cruise, any cruise. But kids these days do not seem to be able to entertain themselves, and I don't know that HAL would have enough onboard to keep them entertained. But, you know your kids better than anyone else. EM

Carnival is the line with the restriction that if there is someone in the cabin under 21, there must be someone in the cabin 25. I believe on HAL if you have someone in the cabin who is 21, the 18y/o can sail without parents. Have your kids ever sailed with you? What did they enjoy about the cruises? Personally, I think at that age I would have been happy to be sent on a cruise, any cruise. But kids these days do not seem to be able to entertain themselves, and I don't know that HAL would have enough onboard to keep them entertained. But, you know your kids better than anyone else. EM

I would check on this. I believe HAL has the same restrictions. I have a quad room booked with two 22yo's and my kids who are 18 and 11. Right now the booking is allowed with their names because dh and I are in the next room. However if we were to change decks (we were thinking of getting a balcony) then I would have to put either my name or my husband's name on their booking. We had to do this in May when our kids had a room and we had a separate room. It was booked with my husband's name on theirs and my daughter with ours and then we switched the names on board. So I don't think you could send them by themselves based on that.

diane

I have been a HAL customer and have always enjoyed my cruises. My youngest child is getting ready to graduate high school and I have two others that are in college. I was considering sending the three of them on a cruise. Since I have not traveled other lines, I don't have a comparison so for those who have, please let me know your thoughts. Would HAL be the best place for them or would there be a better line? The kids range from 18 - 22. Are that allowed to travel on HAL? Somewhere I thought I heard there were restrictions on individuals under 25. Thank you all in advance for your thoughts.

I don't know the answer to the age question but if I were to be paying for a cruise for people that young, I would send them on a line where there would be lots of people their own age. I think they might be bored out of their minds on HAL.. I don't mean to put down your generous offer as I think it is great, but you would want them to get maximum enjoyment.

I don't know the answer to the age question but if I were to be paying for a cruise for people that young, I would send them on a line where there would be lots of people their own age. I think they might be bored out of their minds on HAL.. I don't mean to put down your generous offer as I think it is great, but you would want them to get maximum enjoyment.

Unless they have cruised HAL and enjoy it. My boys enjoyed their HAL cruise in May and both are going on cruises again this year with HAL. They are 20 and 18. They wouldn't care to be on a cruise with a lot of young people, their words. Maybe because they were home schooled through middle school and high school. I don't know. But they prefer adult company.

Diane

From HAL's website:

Can Guests Under 21 Travel Alone?

Guests under 21 years of age must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or chaperone who is at least 21 years old; one adult chaperone is required for every five people under the age of 21 (25 years of age or older in the case of persons serving as chaperones for approved organized student/youth groups). Alcoholic beverages will not be served to guests under age 21. Due to limited medical facilities on the ships, we will not accept reservations for infants under 6 months old at time of sailing. For transocean crossings, or other itineraries which our Medical Department feel present a significant risk, infants must be a minimum of 12 months of age at embarkation.

Minors under age 18 traveling to certain foreign countries must be accompanied by both parents or have a notarized letter of consent signed by the parent(s) not traveling. If the other parent is deceased or the child has only one legal parent, a notarized statement must be obtained as proof.

All minors under age 18 must travel with all proper identification requirements in addition to the signed letter of authorization. Minors who are U.S. citizens should have a certified copy of their birth certificate or another form of proof of citizenship. Children 16 or older are also required to have a photo ID. If traveling outside of the Western Hemisphere, a passport is required. Your travel agent can provide additional information about this requirement.

PLEASE NOTE: In an effort to prevent international child abduction, many governments have initiated procedures at entry and exit points. These often include requiring documentary evidence of relationship and permission for the child's travel from the parent(s) or legal guardian if not present. Having such documentation on hand, even if not required, may facilitate entry or departure. For specific information regarding the country you are traveling to, please visit the U.S. State Department website for country-by-country information.

Parents, guardians and chaperones are responsible for overseeing the conduct of minors in their care. As such, minors may not be left unsupervised on board the ship. A parent or legal guardian MUST accompany all children under the age of 18 on all tours for safety and liability reasons.

Archived