First Cruise EVER! on Seabourn Pride to Baltic

pedro3gb

Hi

My wife and I are going on our first ever cruise and chose Seabourn over Regent and Silversea after much research.

Trouble is, we have spent so much on the cruise, we will have to go easy on excursions but think St Petersburg is a must. Would we be able to do Warnemunde (Lubeck), Ronne, Riga, Gdansk and Helsinki on our own (or with people we may meet on the ship)? We find just wandering around with a guide book preferable to being rushed round loads of museums,art galleries and churches. Anybody else travelling on the Baltic cruise feel free to email me on peterhlord@yahoo.co.uk.

You can definitely do the rest of those ports on your own, and should. I highly recommend that in St. Petersburg you hire a private car and guide for the three days. In the end it will be more economical and you can set the agenda and pace. If there is not already one perhaps you can start a roll call on the roll call thread and see if someone is willing to share private tours to make it even more economical. The three best tour companies are Denrus, Red October and Alla. Google them and check them out.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and especially the Seabourn board! I'm very happy for you that you chose the best cruise line (in my humble opinion) and you are right, on your cruise most ports are easy to explore by yourselves. I love Warnemünde and Gdansk..... We took some tours in St. Petersburg, but maybe Wripo is right and you're better of arranging private tours with others who are interested. Good luck!

Marja

• 2 weeks later...

I would also recommend TJ Travel- I thought they did a wonderful job during the two days that we were there last summer on the Disney Magic- just the two of us. we submitted a very long wishlist and they were able to accomodate everything. Julie also maintained wonderful communications prior to our arrival, including booklists for reading. Our guide was Katya and our driver was Sasha and they were terrific.

• 1 month later...

Looked at all the private tours of St Petersburg and TJ seems to be the best value and most efficient in their responding to e-mails etc. Fancy their 2day relaxed trip but need more people

• 4 weeks later...
Welcome to Cruise Critic and especially the Seabourn board! I'm very happy for you that you chose the best cruise line (in my humble opinion) and you are right, on your cruise most ports are easy to explore by yourselves. I love Warnemünde and Gdansk..... We took some tours in St. Petersburg, but maybe Wripo is right and you're better of arranging private tours with others who are interested. Good luck!

Marja

Did you do a tour organised by the Seabourn or just wander around? We are at present deciding which tours to take. What weather did you experience?

Nettie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have booked a two day tour around St Petersburg with another couple with TJ Travel, am doing Riga on a private tour, going into Rostock from Warnemunde on the train, meeting friends in Helsinki and maybe doing the other places on Seabourn tours if there are any places left. I have some shipboard credit but that does not become active until I board so cannot use until then. Weather should be fine but have bought a light coat just in case.

Peter

• 4 weeks later...
Hi

I have booked a two day tour around St Petersburg with another couple with TJ Travel, am doing Riga on a private tour, going into Rostock from Warnemunde on the train, meeting friends in Helsinki and maybe doing the other places on Seabourn tours if there are any places left. I have some shipboard credit but that does not become active until I board so cannot use until then. Weather should be fine but have bought a light coat just in case.

Peter

Hi,

We are on a cruise in July with Oceania's Insignia to the Baltics...We are interested in touring in Riga..Could you share details of your private tour in Riga.

Thanks

Hi

If you contact james@eatriga.lv he will sent you a list of tours he does. I have booked the alternative Riga one. There is also a web site http://www.eatriga.lv/ Any problems please let me know. Might be worth saying I recommended you. I don't want a discount from him as they are cheap enough but he may appreciate a referral.

Enjoy!!

Peter

Archived