Booking Coach from Southampton to London

kelly3399

We are planning on taking National Express coach from Southampton to London when we arrive on the QM2. What time should we book it for to give us time to disembark? What happens if we are late? Can you just book it when you arrive or is it a lot cheaper to book in advance? Thank you for your help. Kelly

We are planning on taking National Express coach from Southampton to London when we arrive on the QM2. What time should we book it for to give us time to disembark? What happens if we are late? Can you just book it when you arrive or is it a lot cheaper to book in advance? Thank you for your help. Kelly

I have booked it in the other direction. I was able to get a much lower fare by booking well in advance. I allowed a comfortable five hour margin after my transatlantic flight arrival to give ample time for a flight delay, customs, a shower, leisurly breakfast, and a little shopping.

I still managed to take an earlier schedule, but had to pay a modest 'change fee' to do so. Now if I was late, and missed my schedule without cancelling, that would be another matter. Could be you would have to pay more than a 'change fee', perhaps a whole new fare? Check National Express site for details....

Or do as I did...book a later schedule, and then leave earlier if able. If you are catching a flight, that may not be an option. In my case, it was not a problem as I spent two nights in Soton before embarking the QE2.

Thats the key, always plan for later and if you get off early enjoy the sights of Southampton. If I remember correctly the Coach terminal is near to the West Quay shopping center, so make sure you leave yourself plenty of time for the walk, especially if your at the Mayflower terminal!

Take the train instead. It's much nicer. Prettier scenery too, and you'd arrive at Waterloo Station feeling more relaxed than if you had been stuck on a bus.

We took the train from Waterloo to Southampton prior to our Oct crossing and it was very relaxing.

• 1 month later...
If we self disembark, what time will we likely get off the ship? I am trying to get to London as early as possible. Thanks, Kelly

You will be off by 7am, and then of course you will be with all of the commuters going up to London to work. You will be very popular with all of your luggage. As a matter of interest, what do you intend to do with your luggage during the day before you check in to your hotel?

We have self-disembarked at approx 7.30 am to catch the 8.30 Nat Express. We had plenty of time. We had booked a "funfare" (not sure if this is what they are now called) which was ridiculously cheap. Our thinking was that even if the ship had been delayed (fairly unlikely we thought) we would not have lost much.

• 3 months later...

I booked a "funfare" so that should work well. I certainly don't know why that would upset the commuters but maybe I'll just bum a ride with Capnpugwash since he appears to be on the same crossing. I am taking it for granted that the Sheraton Park Lane will hold our luggage if our room isn't ready when we arrive. If you see a couple of tourists on the Hop On/Hop Off bus riding around London on Aug 3rd with luggage on their laps, you'll know it is us and I was wrong!:D Kelly

I booked a "funfare" so that should work well. I certainly don't know why that would upset the commuters but maybe I'll just bum a ride with Capnpugwash since he appears to be on the same crossing. I am taking it for granted that the Sheraton Park Lane will hold our luggage if our room isn't ready when we arrive. If you see a couple of tourists on the Hop On/Hop Off bus riding around London on Aug 3rd with luggage on their laps, you'll know it is us and I was wrong!:D Kelly

kelly3399,

This is copied from our National Express coach from Southampton to London electronic ticket. We did do the self-disembarkation and were probably at the bus station within 30 minutes. I would want to choose an earlier bus. Better yet, as mentioned above, take the train. Nothing worse than sitting in a tiny bus seat for two and a half hours while wearing seat belts. We did have a fair bit of luggage which is the reason we did not take the train! :D

Booking Summary

Passengers: 2

Depart: SOUTHAMPTON to LONDON

Leave: 10:00 28 May 2010

Arrive: 12:20 28 May 2010

Return: LONDON to SOUTHAMPTON

Leave: 10:00 02 Aug 2010

Arrive: 12:15 02 Aug 2010

Total Fare: £39.00

(including £1.00 credit card fee)

In April, self-disembark started at 7:15 am or a bit earlier, long walk thru terminal, no immigration or customs check (since we are originally embarked in Southampton, so technically even while on QV sailing, we were considered to have not left the UK), in a taxi by 7:25 am latest, and at the bus terminal by 7:30 am. Stood waiting around until first bus and terminal opened at 8:00 am.

I had online booked a round trip London/Southampton/London, so don't know if missed time of bus at Southampton what would have to be done. While at Southampton bus terminal, especially at 7:30 am, nothing in the immediate vicinity to visit or shop around. Return to London was on a Sunday morning, so coach bus arrived to Victoria Station bus terminal by 10:15 am.

If you take the express train, the earliest available after disembark (which I did last July) was about 9:30 am, so reached Waterloo station by a bit after 10:30 am. That sailing was a transatlantic from New York, there is a UK immigration stamp dated the disembark date, so must have gone thru immigration but I don't remember having to do that.

Archived