Beer snobs- are there any besides my husband?

cardamon

i've been hoping to visit and tour dogfish for sometime now...got as close as ocean city, md, over the new years holiday. i have family connections and history in rehobeth as well. do you like the french fry place that has been going since 1929? (not 'boardwalk' fries, but the good one in the pier building) when we were there(ocean city), we got the chance to visit, sample and tour!! if you go by, ask les, the manager to show you the 'old' fry cups he received.;)

moose

Keep his email address and if you ever get down this way, and we are here, he'll be glad to accompany you. DFH is fun to tour- it is getting so big and with all the added construction, it changes all the time. There are several other new microbreweries popped up in DE- I really like Evolution's Menagerie. Haven't done the tour yet, but friends say the 16 mile Brewery in Georgetown gives an excellent tour.

Are you referring to Thrasher's fries? The best. We have terrific restaurants in Rohoboth Beach- and great beer. My poor husband will have trouble surviving our cruise next month- very poor selection of brews.

I tried this before, and got no responses, so I'm trying again. Are there any cruise lines that offer micro beers- and I do not mean Sam Adams, Yingling, Guiness or Michelob? Don't laugh- this is really a problem for me , as I love to cruise and my husband loves to drink- good beers! How do you handle this problem- besides "smuggling"?

My husband like a good beer and was happy with the Boddingtons beer on board Golden Princess last September. We also had a drink in the bar in Juneau, and really liked the beer, I think it was from a micro brewery.

hi all,

it's been busy...sorry not to have kept up.

cardamon: thrashers? why yes i am!!

Copyofthrashersfries2.jpg

"Keep his email address and if you ever get down this way, and we are here, he'll be glad to accompany you. DFH is fun to tour- it is getting so big and with all the added construction, it changes all the time. There are several other new microbreweries popped up in DE- I really like Evolution's Menagerie. Haven't done the tour yet, but friends say the 16 mile Brewery in Georgetown gives an excellent tour.

Are you referring to Thrasher's fries? The best. We have terrific restaurants in Rohoboth Beach- and great beer. My poor husband will have trouble surviving our cruise next month- very poor selection of brews."

believe, me, i can't to get up there again...!

moose

Moose, you must really be a Thrasher's fan- to take a picture of them! We really try not to eat Thrasher's- because we were getting them every time we went to the boardwalk, and we go too often!We just have pictures of DFH- the restaurant, the brewery, etc. There are several new breweries near here also to visit- Evolution and Milepost 16. Only 22 more days until our cruise. We will check out the beers in Key West an the Bahamas.

Ahoy from a fellow homebrewer: yeah, it's me and not my hubby. He's quality control. I brew in stainless with glass carboys as fermenters, 5gal batches. Brit Pales and American IPAs, mostly, with the odd stout or amber thrown in here and there, about 16-20 batches a year.

I'm thinking we'll look for local beers in ports of call rather than attempt to get some Dale's or Ten Fidy on the boat. Thanks for the list, y'all!

Ahoy from a fellow homebrewer: yeah, it's me and not my hubby. He's quality control. I brew in stainless with glass carboys as fermenters, 5gal batches. Brit Pales and American IPAs, mostly, with the odd stout or amber thrown in here and there, about 16-20 batches a year.

I'm thinking we'll look for local beers in ports of call rather than attempt to get some Dale's or Ten Fidy on the boat. Thanks for the list, y'all!

Went to pick up some Irish brews at the local packie on Wednesday ( no 'Smid-icks'/no O'haras and all the Guiness and Harp were brewed in Canada:(). Saw a 4 pack of Gubna and grabbed it not noticing that the price sticker ($4) referred to each can:eek: Clerk rang up $26 for what I thought was a $9 total (2 Guiness Droaught cans and the 4 pack)!

When I returned the Gubna to the shelf, I noticed that all the OBs were $4 a can!! Certainly not going to try to smuggle that on board:).

• 4 weeks later...

Just found this thread. My soon-to-be-hubby and I are definitely craft beer lovers and he is a great home brewer as well. We're having our wedding reception at the Dunedin Brewery. :D

We belong to the "P.U.B. Guild" (Pinellas Urban Brewers Guild) homebrew club on the Pinellas side of Tampa Bay. The club has some awesome brewers, and welcomes members of any level of brewing expertise. We also belong to the American Homebrewers Association. Bob does whole grain brewing. He made two of the three beers served at my daughter's wedding reception a few months ago (the two that ran out, ha-ha!) and has a delicious trippel aging for our reception.

If you're a craft beer lover, some places to visit in the Tampa Bay area include the Dunedin Brewery (in Dunedin... duh!), which is the oldest microbrewery in Florida, Cigar City Brewing (Tampa), Willard's Taphouse (Largo... small place, but 40 most excellent taps), Tampa Bay Brewing Company (Ybor City), and New World Brewery (Ybor City... they no longer brew themselves, but still offer a nice selection of yummy beers and serve some really interesting pizzas).

We're booked on the Carnival Spirit for an Alaskan adventure for our honeymoon and we're including brewery stops at each port, if possible, along with other adventures. So far, we have plans to visit Skagway Brewing (Skagway, AK) and Alaskan Brewing (Juneau)... haven't researched Ketchikan, AK yet, and we seem to have multiple options when we get to Victoria, BC.

It's sort of a shame that the ships don't cater to the craft beer lovers, but the upside is that our onboard expenses won't be quite as bad. Can you imagine what a bill we'd rack up if there was a good craft beer selection onboard?!?! :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
I know- the beer selection is sad on the ships. Heck I'd even be happy with Sam Adams if they offered something other than lager. I just smuggle wine on board and use port days to try local beers knowing when I get home there will be some nice sour ale or chicory stout waiting for me.

This is pretty much my attitude. I'll mostly stick with wine while on board and search for a good brewery or brew pub at each stop. Not too many in the Caribbean, but my Canada trip this summer should have some good results.

I also have a beer blog: beervisitor.com . I write about tours of breweries that I've been on. Although I haven't updated it much recently. :o

This is pretty much my attitude. I'll mostly stick with wine while on board and search for a good brewery or brew pub at each stop. Not too many in the Caribbean, but my Canada trip this summer should have some good results.

I also have a beer blog: beervisitor.com . I write about tours of breweries that I've been on. Although I haven't updated it much recently. :o

Be interested in seeing your blog or review on pubs in Bermuda. In San Juan, I think Old Harbor Brewery on old San Jaun is probably your best bet for at least a stop, used to be the only artesanal brewery on the island. I'd be curious as to your opine on and availability of Bohemia Especial and Ambar Oscura in the D.R. versus the ever present Presidente. However I think the breweries are in Santo Domingo about 2 hours from Samana. In Haiti, I don't think you'll find anything but Prestige.

Be interested in seeing your blog or review on pubs in Bermuda. In San Juan, I think Old Harbor Brewery on old San Jaun is probably your best bet for at least a stop, used to be the only artesanal brewery on the island. I'd be curious as to your opine on and availability of Bohemia Especial and Ambar Oscura in the D.R. versus the ever present Presidente. However I think the breweries are in Santo Domingo about 2 hours from Samana. In Haiti, I don't think you'll find anything but Prestige.

Great information! Thanks! In San Juan I was looking at doing the Flavors of San Juan walking tour. But the Old Harbor Brewery looks great! Hmm, will have to give this more thought. I'll have to see what my wife thinks about making the cruise about beer, but I'm sure she'd be willing to have us stop for a couple here and there. ;)

wow! such activity! i've been busy learning new software for work...now i can relax a bit and visit one of my favorite sites!!!

lavagabonde: i'm just across the bay from you...and i joined the 'bootleggers' about 3 months ago. the bay area is alive with craftbrewers and growing stronger everyday. hope to make your acquaintance at some point in the future.

Just found this thread. My soon-to-be-hubby and I are definitely craft beer lovers and he is a great home brewer as well. We're having our wedding reception at the Dunedin Brewery. :D

We belong to the "P.U.B. Guild" (Pinellas Urban Brewers Guild) homebrew club on the Pinellas side of Tampa Bay. The club has some awesome brewers, and welcomes members of any level of brewing expertise. We also belong to the American Homebrewers Association. Bob does whole grain brewing. He made two of the three beers served at my daughter's wedding reception a few months ago (the two that ran out, ha-ha!) and has a delicious trippel aging for our reception.

If you're a craft beer lover, some places to visit in the Tampa Bay area include the Dunedin Brewery (in Dunedin... duh!), which is the oldest microbrewery in Florida, Cigar City Brewing (Tampa), Willard's Taphouse (Largo... small place, but 40 most excellent taps), Tampa Bay Brewing Company (Ybor City), and New World Brewery (Ybor City... they no longer brew themselves, but still offer a nice selection of yummy beers and serve some really interesting pizzas).

We're booked on the Carnival Spirit for an Alaskan adventure for our honeymoon and we're including brewery stops at each port, if possible, along with other adventures. So far, we have plans to visit Skagway Brewing (Skagway, AK) and Alaskan Brewing (Juneau)... haven't researched Ketchikan, AK yet, and we seem to have multiple options when we get to Victoria, BC.

It's sort of a shame that the ships don't cater to the craft beer lovers, but the upside is that our onboard expenses won't be quite as bad. Can you imagine what a bill we'd rack up if there was a good craft beer selection onboard?!?! :eek:

To cardamon, moose, brainalt (are you on linkedin,btw?), lavagablonde, zymologist-from my RollCall, and others:

I've stumble-bummed into an interesting link on a food sight that I follow for its great recipes and interest restaurant reviews--Serious Eats--it's a pairiing "What beer goes with..." thing. Check it out.

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/beer_pairings/

enjoy.

Crew

I am. Stalking me? ;) Feel free to add me if you find me.

Yeppers:p

No just finally getting around to resetting Linkedin, FB and Twit on new computers with new emailserver and was searching for folks I might know. I'll test it out for the right one as there are several of you.

And Twitter has a craft beer tweet in the food section. Better than following Rick Bayless's raves of bacon sauce:D

I am. Stalking me? ;) Feel free to add me if you find me.

well, it wasn't you unless you're suddenly the pool guy in LA:D

Think someone who knows someone I went to school with linked the guy.:rolleyes:

But the tweet is "drink craft beer". He's got 4000+ followers.

DH & I are both big craft brew fans, but have resigned ourselves to enjoying macros on cruises. Every once in awhile we find something a little more exciting like the Celebrator Dopplebock we drank the bars out of on the NCL Star. I agree that even more varieties of Sam Adams would be an improvement.

As another poster said, at least our bar bill is smaller than it woud be if there were good micros on board!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

hi all,

gonna bump this thread...

currently have a cherry-honey-wheat and a blackberry-honey-wheat in the fermentors. i'll have to take a reading soon to see where they are in terms of being able to bottle...shooting for a 5.4 abv. i'm also a little worried about conditioning time, too much, too little and at what temporature. recently talked to another homebrewer and learned that i've been serving too cold! my problem? too much foam! have been serving at 45-48 degrees f, was suggested that i serve at 55 degrees f.

what say the rest of ye?

in the mean time, still gonna have fun doin' some samplin' on allure of the seas in december!

moose

There are many "beer snobs" who enjoy something a bit different. But the cruise lines have generally ignored this crowd until quite recently. We were happy to see that Celebrity is going to have 64 beers available in Michaels Club on their new Silhouette. We have heard that this may be expanded to several other ships in their fleet.

Hank

Archived