Wrangell suggestions

wripro

I'll be there at the very end of May. Does the town itself have anything worth seeing?

Have you googled for the town's tourism site? I know they have some jet boat trips up the river there.

It's your chance to see a real Alaska town, not overrun by tourism, much like Sitka or Haines. But if you want a packaged experience with ziplines zooming through town, it's not going to happen. There's definitely things to do, but it's going to take a little research on your part.

I don't mind doing the research and will. Just thought I could get some direction. Thanks.

There have been very limited cruise stops in Wrangell for years. This is the first year I've seen questions about Wrangell. So unless a poster here's a local or been there on a small ship cruise, I don't think you're going to get responses. You're going to have to be the vanguard for the board, I think! :)

From glancing at the city's website, it really depends on your interests. I've always wanted to go to Wrangell to see Petroglyph Beach and Chief Shakes house, but you may not have those sort of interests. You're not going to find the streets of tee shirts shops as you would in the other ports, but there is lots of outdoor activities. Although Anan won't be worth it, I'd still get out and about. I find I see more bears in May because the trees haven't leafed out yet, so it's easier to spot them. They use every waking moment to regain body weight, so you'll see them on beaches eating mussels, in meadows eating fresh plant shoots.

There have been very limited cruise stops in Wrangell for years. This is the first year I've seen questions about Wrangell. So unless a poster here's a local or been there on a small ship cruise, I don't think you're going to get responses. You're going to have to be the vanguard for the board, I think! :)

From glancing at the city's website, it really depends on your interests. I've always wanted to go to Wrangell to see Petroglyph Beach and Chief Shakes house, but you may not have those sort of interests. You're not going to find the streets of tee shirts shops as you would in the other ports, but there is lots of outdoor activities. Although Anan won't be worth it, I'd still get out and about. I find I see more bears in May because the trees haven't leafed out yet, so it's easier to spot them. They use every waking moment to regain body weight, so you'll see them on beaches eating mussels, in meadows eating fresh plant shoots.

Tee Harbor - do you not think Anan Wildlife Observatory is worth visiting? We, newbies, were knocked out by their video and considering making it our one big excursion.:confused:

Tee Harbor - do you not think Anan Wildlife Observatory is worth visiting? We, newbies, were knocked out by their video and considering making it our one big excursion.:confused:

I'm interested to know about this as well but have to think that it's due to wripro's post that they are going in May and not that it wouldn't be worth visiting in July/August when the salmon are running and there's a much better chance for bear sightings.

Tee Harbor - thanks for getting back on this! We are going to Wrangell & possibly the Anan trip on July 8th. The video on Breakaway Adventures site showed lots of salmon and lots of bears. Do we have a good chance to see the salmon and bears at that time?

Tee Harbor - thanks for getting back on this! We are going to Wrangell & possibly the Anan trip on July 8th. The video on Breakaway Adventures site showed lots of salmon and lots of bears. Do we have a good chance to see the salmon and bears at that time?

Times for salmon runs vary all over Alaska. And at the best, you're still only getting a rough estimate of times. So what I have in Juneau won't apply in Wrangell. But I'd contact the various tour operators and try to get a good time frame out of them.

Wripro,

Are you by chance on the Oceania Grandeur leaving May 26th from San Francisco? We just booked that cruise and are beginning researching the ports. I would love for you to share what you have planned in Juneau, Hoonah, Sitka and Ketchikan. I am on the roll call if you would like to share there.

Melody and David from Altanta

Brianna14,

Yes, I am but it's the Oceania Regatta. I'm still putting things together.

So far in Juneau we're doing the helicopter to Mendenhall and dog sledding.

In Hoonah whale watching, not sure which company yet.

IN Sitka some kind of wildlife tour.

In Ketchikan a float plane to Misty fjords.

I'll fill in with more as I do more research.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

I'm pretty much set with ideas for Juneau, Hoonak, Sitka and Ketchikan but can't seem to find much on what to do in Wrangell. Anyone have thoughts? Thanks.

One of the options in Wrangell is the jetboat excursion on the Stikine River. One operator that offers tours is Eric Yancey at Breakaway Adventures (www.BreakawayAdventures.com) We are booked with him for early July.

Archived