What do you wear in the MDR on casual night?

Teamv

When we sailed there was just about everything. Some people on this board need a reality check. It's vacation people and if you are offended then try and make your way out the door with your nose that high in the air. If you want to be all that, go to the pay extra restaurant. Go on Celebrity or whatever tight cheek vessel is out there. I know I paid good money for my ticket and room. And if the wife will let me wear shorts to dinner, then you better believe I will CUZ I'M ON VACATION.

thank you, thank you, thank you .... I am on vacation, and I wear what I want. We took our first cruise this past June, and just plan on skipping Elegant night, simply because I didn't want to drag the extra clothes... besides the fact, I really hate dressing up. We are going on another cruise in September, and because it is 7 night instead of 4, we probably will bring suits for ONE night.

We dropped taking the 3 piece suit (when it went out of style) dress shoes and the long dresses and matching shoes eons ago. Now it is dress pants, dress shirts, a tie and casual shoes and me - dress pants, skirt, fancy tops and one pair of sandals. We mix and match and basically pack in 2 carryons now. I think those who wish to dress to the nines should be able to do so without being criticized and those who don't and want to dress casually should also be able to do so. My eyes are for looking at the awesome things around me not other cruisers and their attire - I could care less what they wear. My prime rib tastes the same either way.

Main Dining Room Casual Attire - Men are permitted to wear slacks or dressy shorts - no denim or sports shorts. They wear any shirt except tee shirts. Women wear dressy skirts, dresses, slacks or capri length pants with casual or dressy tops. No sneakers allowed in the evening.

I see there are a few people who believe you can wear whatever you want. Carnival isn't refusing them entrance to the dining room if they haven't paid attention to dress code requests. However, other diners appreciate consideration by all guests because the dining rooms provide an elegant dining experience every night. As long as people don't wear jeans, sports shorts, tee shirts, sneakers and flip flops they don't draw adverse attention to themselves. Younger children are not scrutinized but teenagers should dress the same as adults.

The Carnival dress code does not read like that.

We dropped taking the 3 piece suit (when it went out of style) dress shoes and the long dresses and matching shoes eons ago. Now it is dress pants, dress shirts, a tie and casual shoes and me - dress pants, skirt, fancy tops and one pair of sandals. We mix and match and basically pack in 2 carryons now. I think those who wish to dress to the nines should be able to do so without being criticized and those who don't and want to dress casually should also be able to do so. My eyes are for looking at the awesome things around me not other cruisers and their attire - I could care less what they wear. My prime rib tastes the same either way.

I agree 100%

I will say I rarely see anybody being criticized for going all out in the way they dress,

It just seems like the "better dressed" like talking down to

the more casual dressers.

"nothing looks worse than..."

"They show up in those baggy-butt cargo pants"

"dirty sneakers or (worse) huge clunky sandals with feet hanging out..."

"Put your head in the trough and eat."

"if you wanna wear jeans, eat on the Lido deck"

"All one needs to know is if your bar of dress is above the lines bar of dress.

You just must realize the closer you are to it, the lower you are in the scale of fashion.

Not all are elligible for the red carpet. Some like to stand behind the tape."

I also get very tired of hearing the casual folks saying "it's my vacation..."

Read the rules and go with it, whether you are at the top or bottom of

the dress code, that is what matters..not how close you are to the line.

I totally agree with how you and your family approach dinner, folks, will it really kill us to put on a nice pair of slacks, a button down or polo and nice shoes for a couple hours, same for the ladies, a nice sundress or slack and blouse on casual nights. I personnally think nothing looks better than to see everyone dressed for elegant night, and as the above poster said, go back to cabin and change into casuals after dinner.

Nothing, and I mean nothing looks worse than someone in the MDR, in jeans t-shirts and flip flops. I really wish Carnival would enforce this policy and not allow it to go on.

Tim

I agree....but it probably won't change a thing.

BTW: my grandson sailed with me once a year from age 9 to 17. For regular evenings, he wore either nice jeans and a collared shirt, or khakis...with CLEAN sneaks. As he grew older, into his teens, he wore slacks and long sleeve shirt. For formal evenings, when young, he wore dress slacks, a long sleeve shirt and tie...with shoes when he was younger. When he reached 14, he wore a suit - at 17 he wore a tux.

He didn't always come to the dining room when he was older, preferring to hang out with his new buds. He was required to come on formal night, however and he loved it.

Kids learn what's expected of them from their parents and other loving adults in their lives.

I wish some people would actually read the dress code for Carnival:rolleyes:

....and.... I wish those who DO read it would pay attention to the part where it says "Dress Shorts" and "nice jeans" and no ballcaps.

You're just gonna have to avert your eyes as I walk by then.

And BTW, you can wear jeans, a t-shirt and flipflops every night that isn't Elegant Nights.

Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should - or that it is appropriate.

i wear anything from jeans and a cute top to sun dresses. i stay away from anything that could be considered (by others) as beach wear. where i live, most restaurants are casual and elegant dress would be out of place unless it was some special function going on.

And your opinion of appropriate might vary from mine or from the Maitre D'. And since you're not working the door, I'm really not concerned with your opinion.

well put.;)

It is Carnivals decision on what the dress code should be.

I see there are a few people who believe you can wear whatever you want. Carnival isn't refusing them entrance to the dining room if they haven't paid attention to dress code requests. However, other diners appreciate consideration by all guests because the dining rooms provide an elegant dining experience every night. As long as people don't wear jeans, sports shorts, tee shirts, sneakers and flip flops they don't draw adverse attention to themselves. Younger children are not scrutinized but teenagers should dress the same as adults.

I think the point is that why bother to have a dress code if they aren't going to enforce it. And since they won't enforce it yes people will dress how they want. I however wouldn't allow what others are wearing to impact my experience and I don't consider the MDR fine dining as others seem to suggest that it is.

I read on another post the other day where a couple was not going to eat in the MDR because they didn't feel they were dressed for it and the crew encouraged them to eat there anyway. So the crew is clearly ok with it which translates to it is allowed.

I feel like as long as you are dressed nice and look clean than knock yourself out and eat in the MDR. To get certain food you have to eat in the MDR as it isn't offered anywhere else so why should they be forced to eat in the buffet just because others don't like their jeans? I personally wear dress pants and a blouse but it wouldn't bother me if I saw people wearing shorts as long as they looked decent.

My husband and I have been on alot of cruises, usually 2 a year. We have lived in Florida for 20 years. Florida people dress very casual...shorts to church, etc., It is something that I have had to get used to. Part of the fun for us getting ready for our cruise is going shopping for new clothes. We have never worn shorts or jeans to the dining room. However, on our last carnival cruise we were seated at a large table for dinner and one of the twenty somethings wore his baggy shorts past his butt crack with his underwear sticking out for elegant night. I was really bothered but I have to say my food tasted the same. I think if you look around in the pictures from the reviews on this board that you will see that most people look just okay...some look really great...and others look awful. Carnivals rules say that you can wear dressy shorts and jeans to their dining room on casual night so instead of getting worked up about it, do like I did...except it as it is. HAPPY CRUISING!!

Originally Posted by G'ma

Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should - or that it is appropriate.

You can twist the word "can" all you want. But what the host deems appropriate supersedes anyone else's opinions;) And Carnival is the host.

I recall some opinionated person with a 3 letter screen name starting with a G and ending with a A stating about the smuggling rules "carnivals ship carnivals rules" I guess the same must apply to the dinning room dress code. iif the person is dress to the standard carnival set who are you to make judgment.

you must be careful what you say to or about the poster above that has 9500 plus posts, that person has reported me in the past and I was suspended that person has no problem telling you how to spend your vacation and loves to copy and paste the rules. if you say something the above poster dont like they report you and your done. this will probably get me suspended again

I however wouldn't allow what others are wearing to impact my experience and I don't consider the MDR fine dining as others seem to suggest that it is.

I read on another post the other day where a couple was not going to eat in the MDR because they didn't feel they were dressed for it and the crew encouraged them to eat there anyway. So the crew is clearly ok with it which translates to it is allowed.

I feel like as long as you are dressed nice and look clean than knock yourself out and eat in the MDR. To get certain food you have to eat in the MDR as it isn't offered anywhere else so why should they be forced to eat in the buffet just because others don't like their jeans? I personally wear dress pants and a blouse but it wouldn't bother me if I saw people wearing shorts as long as they looked decent.

Yeah the MDR is nothing more that a high end Sizzler with cloth napkins. The food is ok but how good can it really be cranking it out assembly line style.

The day of class (as in first class on down) on cruise ship's are over, if you want to play high society and look down the on everyone, have fun I dont have time for that game I'm on vacation.

I really appreciate those of you who responded to my post and shared what you wear on casual nights in the MDR. You have helped me figure out what to pack. I think we will end up taking a few different things (shorts, pants and polos) for the guys and I will go with capris, light sweaters and pretty tops. We are going to be very dressy for elegant night and looking forward to that.

The discussion that has ensued is really strange to me. Despite my interest in knowing what people are wearing, I have a hard time seeing why people get so worked up about clothing. Aren't we just all lucky to be cruising?

I really think if you are the type of person to get upset over the lack of formality in the dining room, then you should be sailing on another line.

I love the informal atmosphere on Carnival. I like the fact that I can wear a pair of capris or nice shorts and sandals to dinner and no one cares. If someone tests the boundaries of what is considered acceptable apparel, I don't look at them. I am there to enjoy my vacation, and don't really care what others do or don't do.

This is too funny! Do that many people really worry about what other people are wearing? That is just plain ridiculous.How can you enjoy yourselves on your vacation if you are worried about everyone's else's business. I have seen tons of people in shorts & jeans and I never even gave it another thought. Where what you a comfortable in. If it's jeans,then go for it.Don't worry about what other people think. If Carnival doesn't mind, can't for the life of me see why anyone else would. Good grief!

This is too funny! Do that many people really worry about what other people are wearing? That is just plain ridiculous.How can you enjoy yourselves on your vacation if you are worried about everyone's else's business. I have seen tons of people in shorts & jeans and I never even gave it another thought. Where what you a comfortable in. If it's jeans,then go for it.Don't worry about what other people think. If Carnival doesn't mind, can't for the life of me see why anyone else would. Good grief!

LMAO. My thoughts exactly. These threads both crack me up and make me roll my eyes at the same time. People are... ummm... interesting. :D

Archived