What do you wear in the MDR on casual night?

Teamv

There is lots of discussion on these boards about elegant night clothing but not so much about what people wear to dinner on casual nights in the MDR and to the shows, etc.

I have read what Carnival says:

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

But what does this mean for your family? We are travelling with 2 teenage boys on the Dream during March break. Our boys will be wearing shorts ('cause it has been really cold up here in Canada this winter!!) but are t-shirts OK or would polo shirts be better? What do you ladies usually wear? I know what Carnival says, but what is really being worn?

Thanks in advance!!

Me: I wear a sundress and a light cardigan and cute shoes (heels of some sort). My daughter same thing except for the shoes, she opts for her crocs :p

Dh: Khaki and polo type of shirt (sometimes just a t-shirt if we were in a hurry)

Boys: I am wayyyy lax with the boys. As long as they aren't in their swimsuit and rashguard...:D

We have been on 5 cruises, and I wear a sundress or casual skirt and top for most nights. On dressy nights, I would wear a fancy/cocktail dress. My daughter the same thing. My sun wore khaki pants and polos. on dressy night, he wore a blue blazer, button down, and tie. After dinner, he changed into shorts and finished his night. :) My husband usually wears polos or nice collared shirts, with khaki slacks. He wears a nice suit for dressy night. My kids looked forward to dinner in the dining room. they didn't mind "dressing up" for dinner. It was part of the fun.

Myself, I wear a sundress each night and DH wears dress slacks or Khakis with a nice button down shirt. (I pack his shirts to coordinate with my dresses.) Elegant night I wear a dressy dress (no longer wear my formals or cocktail dresses as they require extra shoes and I only like to bring one pair of dress sandles) and DH wears a suit and tie. He brings more shoes than me - go figure.

I usually wear a sundress and nicer flip flops. My hubby usually wears shorts and a polo or button down shirt. We are both early-mid 20's. You can wear whatever you want but I would suggest the boys wear something a little nicer than a tee shirt, think American Eagle or Abercrombie looks for teen boys. That being said you will certainly see people wearing clothes that I wouldn't wear to do yard work in! Have a fabulous vacation!! :D

I wear dress slacks and a blouse or top, sometimes a nice knit.

Sometimes, I wear crop pants and a nice shirt.

I feel more comfortable dressing for dinner rather than wearing jeans and such.

What can I say....I've been cruising for 35 years and prefer a more traditional thingie. .... and I'm old......:D:D

I typically wear a sundress to dinner on casual nights with nice leather sandals (flipflops!). I don't find dressing decently for dinner to be an issue... but you'll be hard pressed to get me in heels on formal night much less casual night. :)

Like one of the other posters, we also dress each evening for dinner. I will wear a cocktail dress and DH will wear and suit/sportcoat and tie. (this last trip he wore his Dress Blues);)

I wear a long gown on elegant/formal night and DH wears his tux. Even though we only had one elegant/formal night on this last cruise, we chose to dress formal on two nights.

We also stay dressed in our evening clothes until retiring to our cabin for the night. It's just something that we both enjoy doing on our cruises. We are blessed to live within driving distance of several ports, so thankfully flights or the extra luggage does not present the problems for us that so many others have to face with the weight limits and extra fees.

Like G'ma, we tend to be more traditional, a bit conservative and that other word she used...."old...er".:D

2114127995_InspirationJan20115.jpg.0f1f1cc014f5c9f286c4d99307c71246.jpg

325888693_InspirationJan201112.jpg.a4eb0e907db29607a89cf6093209bd71.jpg

1581817463_InspirationJan201116.jpg.8bb907c6f379c17a3c659f8c5e2466d5.jpg

1880462154_InspirationJan201119.jpg.6968cfd5015d9f5e0fba5b6e94e8bf9f.jpg

820911829_InspirationJan201124.jpg.52d2ac60702ac710c35872a4ee2224c7.jpg

I am going to take 3 pair of nice capri's for a 5 day cruise and 5 nice tops...this will be for non-elegant nights and either a cocktail style dress or nice black dress pants and a sparkly top(my mother has several of these). DH will be taking 2 pair's of khaki pants and 4 polo type shirts and a suit jacket that will go with the khaki's a nice button up shirt and a tie to match.

I am not going to look tacky but I am not going to all out either. We want to enjoy ourselves and dressing to the hilts isn't our thing. I will enjoy looking at those who do tho!

Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate your information. We will be flying to the port and so will have restrictions on our baggage. We will be bringing dressy clothes for elegant nights and we are all excited about dressing up. But that does mean extra room for 4 pairs of dresss shoes and 4 dressy outfits. Cuts into the baggage allowance.

I know after long days in the sun, the boys and DH would appreciate dressing more comfortably at dinner on casual nights and will all want to wear shorts. It sounds like that may not be the norm. (Unless the folks on CC are generally dressier than most??) It is really much easier for gals with sundresses, and lighter summer clothing.

Everyone has told us how nice it is to eat in the MDR and so I will have to really be careful when packing and make sure the boys stay clean at dinner so they can recycle their clothes!!

I know after long days in the sun, the boys and DH would appreciate dressing more comfortably at dinner on casual nights and will all want to wear shorts. It sounds like that may not be the norm. (Unless the folks on CC are generally dressier than most??) It is really much easier for gals with sundresses, and lighter summer clothing.

I don't think CC folks are dressier. Shorts in the MDR at dinner isn't unheard of, but it's the exception, not the norm. The A/C can also make it uncomfortable.

I have always found the ships to be chilly at night (and I don't get cold easily), so I always have a jacket or wrap or something with me at dinner. I have dined in a sundress onboard and couldn't enjoy the dinner I was so cold! Depends on the ship, I guess.

There is lots of discussion on these boards about elegant night clothing but not so much about what people wear to dinner on casual nights in the MDR and to the shows, etc.

I have read what Carnival says:

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

But what does this mean for your family? We are travelling with 2 teenage boys on the Dream during March break. Our boys will be wearing shorts ('cause it has been really cold up here in Canada this winter!!) but are t-shirts OK or would polo shirts be better? What do you ladies usually wear? I know what Carnival says, but what is really being worn?

Thanks in advance!!

Think country club casual.

Shorts may be a little young on teenages, but they are allowed.

We have been on 5 cruises, and I wear a sundress or casual skirt and top for most nights. On dressy nights, I would wear a fancy/cocktail dress. My daughter the same thing. My sun wore khaki pants and polos. on dressy night, he wore a blue blazer, button down, and tie. After dinner, he changed into shorts and finished his night. :) My husband usually wears polos or nice collared shirts, with khaki slacks. He wears a nice suit for dressy night. My kids looked forward to dinner in the dining room. they didn't mind "dressing up" for dinner. It was part of the fun.

I totally agree with how you and your family approach dinner, folks, will it really kill us to put on a nice pair of slacks, a button down or polo and nice shoes for a couple hours, same for the ladies, a nice sundress or slack and blouse on casual nights. I personnally think nothing looks better than to see everyone dressed for elegant night, and as the above poster said, go back to cabin and change into casuals after dinner.

Nothing, and I mean nothing looks worse than someone in the MDR, in jeans t-shirts and flip flops. I really wish Carnival would enforce this policy and not allow it to go on.

Tim

Archived