Answers for those excited about Ketchikan

alaskandude

What a wealth of info you have.

I am going on my first ever cruise with land tours, one at each end of the cruise in Sept. I arrive in Ketchikan on the 17th from 7am - 4pm.

I am on my own (female) so want to find something to do.

I love photography and adventure. I did wonder about the photo land and sea safari. are you familar with this tour, if so what are your thoughts?

Do you have any other suggestions i could consider?

Thank you.

Thanks for putting the thread back up. We will be in town in mid August and would like to tour Saxman Village. Is it possible to just sign up for a tour on the dock when we get there and how much would it cost? Thanks!

Any maps or pictures showing the new Berth 4? or even 3? I tried a search on this thread, but "search engine is down". Thanks!

There is another thread about the Ketchikan port schedule that includes a link to the planning docs that include berth 4 at ftp://www.city.ketchikan.ak.us/pub/misc/Project%20Description%20WITH%20LINKS.pdf

I've put approximate locations on a google map

And a pic from the above mentioned thread...

010207_port_expansion.jpg

wanna sea the world- what time are you coming up here. We have salmon runs from may to september. You should be fine on catching some fish. We are the salmon capitol of the world.

born 4 travel- yes the town is easy to hike around. Just be prepared for a lot of people traffic. Check out Creek street if you have a chance. Only a few minute walk from the docks. Lots of local shops.

Rowan- Not to familiar with the trip. I highly reccomend everybody bring a camera on any tour they do. What does the tour offer?

brunolvr- I don't know where to find pics of our new docks. I drive by them everyday. Might have to wait till some guests put some pics up. The pic sent by awol seems to be close.

brunolvr- I don't know where to find pics of our new docks. I drive by them everyday. Might have to wait till some guests put some pics up. The pic sent by awol seems to be close.

Is the Boardwalk along the water all done? Last year when we were in Ketchikan in mid-June we couldn't walk on that beautiful new boardwalk as it wasn't quite complete.

Read through some of these posts. Not sure if anyone is still looking for fishing or not. There are four of us booked with Northern Lights Charters (Captain Ken). We are leaving at 7 a.m. on May 9. There is another couple who posted that they were going and my husband and I booked yesterday. There still may be room for two more people if anyone is going to be on the Pearl the week of May 4. His number is 888-550-8488 or you can just "Google" Northern Lights Charters for more information.

Happy cruising (and fishing).

Read through some of these posts. Not sure if anyone is still looking for fishing or not. There are four of us booked with Northern Lights Charters (Captain Ken). We are leaving at 7 a.m. on May 9. There is another couple who posted that they were going and my husband and I booked yesterday. There still may be room for two more people if anyone is going to be on the Pearl the week of May 4. His number is 888-550-8488 or you can just "Google" Northern Lights Charters for more information.

Happy cruising (and fishing).

I have heard good things about Ken and spoke to him as well! Unfortunatly he was booked by the time we got around to finalizing... We will be on the Pearl at the end of June! Wound up getting a whole boat for ourselves... I would of prefered the company :rolleyes: Fish On!!!!

We'll be doing a halibut charter with Strike Zone out of Knudson Cove marina & need to take a taxi there when we dock at around 6am. Does anyone know if taxi's (Sourdough cab was recomended) are available right at the pier or do I have to call once we arrive? Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

alaskandude: Can you recommend a good hiking trail nearby the dock (a 10-15 minute taxi ride, maybe)? We prefer not to book formal excursions, but explore on our own. I'm sure we'll also end up hitting the shops and such, but I'd like to see some of Ketchikan's forests/wildlife.

I haven't been to Ketchikan for 10 years (I was a cruise steward) and most of my time off-ship was late at night. I saw every bar in the inside passage, but not much else (on land, that is).

Thanks for your help,

Beck

Hi alaskadude! Do you you know the name of the women who gives tours in fifties costume in her antique car? Thanks!

Lois Munch of Classic Tours. We're going with her in July. I've been emailing with her. She's a sweetie and a HOOT!! :D This will be our LAST excursion of many and I can't think of a more appropriate finale.

http://www.classictours.com/

lois2.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Lois Munch of Classic Tours. We're going with her in July. I've been emailing with her. She's a sweetie and a HOOT!! :D This will be our LAST excursion of many and I can't think of a more appropriate finale.

http://www.classictours.com/

lois2.gif

I am going to have to see if this is available in Ketchikan when we are in port.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Alaskandude,

Wanted to thank you once again for the great advice about hiking Deer Trail. It was an awesome workout just getting to the trail and then once there - a real treat. I complained alot, but my husband kept pushing me. It was a great accomplishment - very nice trail. We met some nice people also. Thanks again - also had a great time at Arctic Bar with Paula - best place to stop and have a few!

We really enjoyed your city.

• 5 weeks later...

We just returned from Alaska on Saturday. the guys went fishing with Strike zone in Ketchican and did manage to catch 3 halibut and a couple of cod but BEWARE their shipping charges. We got the fish yesterday 8 whole pounds and they charged a minumum charge of $80.00! There was nothing about this in any of the paperwork that I had. I did know there was a 4.75 per lb processing charge but the total came to 93.00. What a scam. We think they must have kept some of the fish because what they caught was way over what they received. I will not recommend them to anyone.

Wow, it's never fun to be surprised by the charges... but did you read the processing form when you decided to have your fish sent? I just used these guys in mid-June & knew exactly what I was getting into... the form I filled out clearly stated $80 min. & what the per lb charges would be.

I even posted here on my cc review about my 'thousand dollar fish'. :eek: It's agood thing it tastes darn good!!!

None of the material I received ahead of time said anything about the charges. The guys were rushed off the boat and it was mentioned at the end of the trip in passing but they hardly paid attention. Expensive fish. sure hope it is good!

ALASKANDUDE:

"loves2cruz- You can fish off the promenade and the bridge certain times of the summer. When are you going to be in K-town. I blieve they rents poles right on the creek only a few minutesd fron the ship. Be ready for ots of competition."

Could you give specific directions, for us first timers, to get to the promenade/creek to rent poles and fish from the bank? Also, could you give a ball park figure for rental cost? Thanks

None of the material I received ahead of time said anything about the charges. The guys were rushed off the boat and it was mentioned at the end of the trip in passing but they hardly paid attention. Expensive fish. sure hope it is good!

Cruise to Alaska: $5k

Fishing Trip in Ketchikan: $250

Shipping Halibut I caught home: $80

Arriving home to a box of frozen fish with my name on it and enjoying meals where each bite I remember the experience fishing with my best friend in the most beautiful place on earth: PRICELESS

Let's try a little perspective. And please, please don't complain about the cost of the fish when you eat it.

Archived