Cockleshell or Frigate Bay Beach

sjde

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is one of these beaches much nicer than the other? Is this a port we should consider staying on the ship at the pool? We'd like to do that one time when in port because we know it'll be quiet and relaxing. Our other ports will be Barbados, Antigua, St Thomas and St Lucia. I think the others are more known for their beaches?

We were here once before but didn't go to a beach. We walked around town, and went to the batik factory.

Sue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is one of these beaches much nicer than the other? Is this a port we should consider staying on the ship at the pool? We'd like to do that one time when in port because we know it'll be quiet and relaxing. Our other ports will be Barbados, Antigua, St Thomas and St Lucia. I think the others are more known for their beaches?

We were here once before but didn't go to a beach. We walked around town, and went to the batik factory.

Sue

In our opinion, the beaches at St. Kitts are some of the most beautiful and shouldn't be missed. We swam the entire day with our two daughters. The water clear and warm, the waves decent, the beach sand talcium-powder-fine. Just be prepared to be bombarded with local women offering backrubs, hairbrushing/braiding, massages, anything and everything. It took a few hours before they got the hint and left us alone. But, do not miss the beaches of St. Kitts!

I would suggest staying on the ship in Antigua. We stayed a week on the island almost 4 years ago and were not impressed. Last year we did an excursion and were very disappointed. We got a daypass to the sandals when we were docked in St. Lucia and were very pleased with that.

We WOULD like to stay on the ship at a port or two, maybe one we've been to before, to take advantage of the spa specials or the uncrowded pool. But we've not been to Antigua before and I keep hearing that what is special about this island are the beaches. Apparently you disagree I guess.

Sue

I gather you're a beach person. So am I!

I am heading to St Kitts in April

I too can't decide on Cockleshell or Frigate. Both have nice reviews.

However, I am gearing more towards Cockleshell. Less crowded. Less beach vendors. Less food / bar shacks.

In Barbados can I suggest you do a Turtle Excursion.

It is the best thing I have ever done.

Absolutely well worth every dime.

Anitgua ~ I would suggest either doing a cruise excursion or staying on the ship.

St Thomas ~ Sapphire Beach.

St Lucia ~ Reduit Beach

We went to Cockleshell and it was nice, we would go back. From what I gather if you snorkel then Frigate Bay is the place to go. (someone correct me if wrong...)

We went to Accra Beach on Barbados and Sapphire Beach on St. Thomas and they were absolutely top-notch although the facilities on Sapphire were "not well maintained".

I wouldn't skip St. Kitts....it's beautiful.

Which beach??? Depends on what you want.

$6.50 per person to Cockelshell, $5.00 per person to Frigate (both one-way prices).

Real bathrooms at Cockelshell, port-a-potties at Frigate.

Alot to do at Cockelshell, more quiet at Frigate.

Cockelshell: rent a jet-ski, a horse, a kayak, snorkel equipment, plan a fishing trip, catamaran to Nevis, message, hold a monkey, see Wilbur, get a picture with Lion, rent chairs and umbrellas.

At Cockelshell:

On the Caribbean Sea side.....water not rough.

Spice Mill: Upscale, really nice furniture to rent (google it to see)

Reggae Beach Bar: Fun, average furniture, family-oriented, lots to do.

Lions Rock Bar: Potent fruit punch, good lunch, picture with Lion.

At Frigate:

Frigate beach is on the Atlantic Ocean side so the water is alot rougher.

South Frigate has Mr. X Shiggidy Shack, Monkey Bar, Sammy's Beach Bar and Grill. (Google each place to see if they interest you.)

North Frigate is up where the Marriot is (it's beautiful) and I think they still have day passes there, but still on the Atlantic side. But they have restrooms up there.

$6.50 per person to Cockelshell, $5.00 per person to Frigate (both one-way prices).

Cockelshell: rent a jet-ski, a horse, a kayak, snorkel equipment, plan a fishing trip, catamaran to Nevis, message, hold a monkey, see Wilbur, get a picture with Lion, rent chairs and umbrellas.

At Cockelshell:

At Frigate:

South Frigate has Mr. X Shiggidy Shack, Monkey Bar, Sammy's Beach Bar and Grill. (Google each place to see if they interest you.)

North Frigate is up where the Marriot is (it's beautiful) and I think they still have day passes there, but still on the Atlantic side. But they have restrooms up there.

Thanks for your info - we are visiting Cockleshell after a tour with Thenford Grey and you have set my mind at ease!

At Cockelshell:

At Frigate:

Those cab prices seem a bit low? Last time we went it was $26 or $28 one way to Cockleshell. I suppose it depends on how many of you are splitting the fare.

Cab fare is $26.00 one way for 1-4 people. (4 people = $26.00 = $13.00 per couple = $6.50 per person)

If you only have two people, get off the ship and go to the person at the podium on the right hand side by the taxi lines. That person will match you with someone else going to the beaches.

We had a party of four and they also placed two women in our taxi. We paid our fare ($6.50 per person to Cockelshell), they paid their's ($5.00 per person to frigate).

• 2 weeks later...
I would suggest staying on the ship in Antigua. We stayed a week on the island almost 4 years ago and were not impressed. Last year we did an excursion and were very disappointed. We got a daypass to the sandals when we were docked in St. Lucia and were very pleased with that.

We WOULD like to stay on the ship at a port or two, maybe one we've been to before, to take advantage of the spa specials or the uncrowded pool. But we've not been to Antigua before and I keep hearing that what is special about this island are the beaches. Apparently you disagree I guess.

Sorry, gotta jump in and disagree with Aligator. The day we were there we went to Jolly Beach and it was breathtaking! We are returning this April and that's where you can find us :D

Cab fare is $26.00 one way for 1-4 people. (4 people = $26.00 = $13.00 per couple = $6.50 per person)

If you only have two people, get off the ship and go to the person at the podium on the right hand side by the taxi lines. That person will match you with someone else going to the beaches.

We had a party of four and they also placed two women in our taxi. We paid our fare ($6.50 per person to Cockelshell), they paid their's ($5.00 per person to frigate).

Thanks for clarifying the cab fare.

• 2 weeks later...

We were at Cockelshell Beach last week on Carnival Victory. Very disappointing, snorkeling-wise, water was murky and rocky. Beach was waaay too overcrowded for our liking, and we were the only ship in St. Kitt's that day. Should have gone to S. Friar's or Frigate Bay(been before). Even The Marriott would have been better. It's gorgeous there!

We were at Cockelshell Beach last week on Carnival Victory. Very disappointing, snorkeling-wise, water was murky and rocky. Beach was waaay too overcrowded for our liking, and we were the only ship in St. Kitt's that day. Should have gone to S. Friar's or Frigate Bay(been before). Even The Marriott would have been better. It's gorgeous there!

This is somewhat disappointing,

I was hoping Cockleshell was the spot to snorkel.

Now I'm wondering how it is at S Friars or Frigate :confused:

This is somewhat disappointing' date='

I was hoping Cockleshell was the spot to snorkel.

Now I'm wondering how it is at S Friars or Frigate :confused:[/quote']

Feelin' Nauti'... much better! We've snorkeled Frigate Bay on a previous cruise to St. Kitts. Really wishing we went back. Good luck!

Feelin' Nauti'... much better! We've snorkeled Frigate Bay on a previous cruise to St. Kitts. Really wishing we went back. Good luck!

:D

Would be better if I was sitting on a beach right now. ;)

I still can't decide on which beach to hit.

The planning and anticipation is half the fun and no doubt will be happy at either one. :D

:D

Would be better if I was sitting on a beach right now. ;)

I still can't decide on which beach to hit.

The planning and anticipation is half the fun and no doubt will be happy at either one. :D

After 15" of snow overnight and still coming... I'd take any beach right now too! I thought that darn rodent Phil promised an early spring???

I personally like Frigate Bay compared to Cockelshell. We didn't want a beach where the majority of the ship went. Really wanted a decent snorkeling experience and we didn't get that. Views of Nevis were pretty though. Oh well, there's always next time. And by next time, I mean Frigate or S. Friars for us! Enjoy!

Sue

We LOVED Turtle Beach in St. Kitts. I think the taxi was $30 round trip for all 5 of us last year to go. Free beach chairs. They rented snorkling equipment for $15. There is a little restaurant with a bathroom. It was very low key and beautiful. No one trying to sell anything. They had monkeys and a some other animals for the children to look at. Great day!

We did the "Beach Extravaganza" offered by RCCL in Antiqua last year and plan to do it again this 3/20-31 cruise.Think it's about $55/person. The beach was great,the barbecue lunch delicious and the bar unique.We plan to stay on board in Samana this time.The beach area was OK but not worth the price.

Archived