Antours??

schmoopie17

If anyone has recently done the Antours tubing trip, how did it go? I'm specifically wondering if you can leave things safely on the tour vehicle (i.e. wallets, sea pass, etc.) Really don't want to take those things into the river...may never see them again. :eek:

If anyone has recently done the Antours tubing trip, how did it go? I'm specifically wondering if you can leave things safely on the tour vehicle (i.e. wallets, sea pass, etc.) Really don't want to take those things into the river...may never see them again. :eek:

We did the river tubing excursion with Antours last summer. We could leave our clothes, belongings, towels etc. all in the van and everything was kept very safe there.

To answer your question on how did it go? We had a blast. We were able to float and race for 1 1/4 hours through the rapids down the Layou River. The guides did an outstanding job keeping everyone together and helping those that got stuck. For more detailed information about our tour with Antours, including the river tubing excursion, you can read my review with photos as well as view my youtube video by clicking on the links below:

Review with photos (located on posts #66-68)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1038334&page=4

Youtube video

We just did Antours river tubing in January 2011. We took very little with us, for example I left my rings back in the cabin. However, we did feel it was secure to leave our ship card, small amount of money, towels, in the van. The vehicle was either locked or occupied while we were tubing. Antours claims NO ONE has ever lost anything.

We had a memorable time, there were only 5 of us and 3 experienced, friendly river guides. The water was comfortable (maybe 70-75 F), felt refreshing on a hot day. I tipped out once, but a guide was right there to "rescue me" and help me back into the tube. My husband is a big guy (250ish) and they had a big enough tube for him.

I recommend doing this with Antours. We also requested a visit to the Emerald pool as well, and he took us there before the tubing. It was a few dollars more because there is a $5 admission to the Emerald Pool.

Sherry

We were there in October & I was really impressed with Antours. We were supposed to do the Emerald Pool & River Tubing but it was raining (monsoon type rain) & there was a mudslide up the mountain so we didn't get to go tubing. We did the rest of the tour though & it was great.

Our guide was very interesting & knowledgeable about her island.

We did buy an aquapak to put our wallets in while tubing but didn't get to use it.

When we got home, Antours sent me a refund for half the price I paid through PayPal (I wasn't sure I would ever see that money again after we left Dominica). I accidentally pushed the wrong button & sent it back to them. I contacted them & they immediately resent my refund. So obviously they are a very trustworthy company.

Juli

We had a memorable time, there were only 5 of us and 3 experienced, friendly river guides. The water was comfortable (maybe 70-75 F), felt refreshing on a hot day. I tipped out once, but a guide was right there to "rescue me" and help me back into the tube. My husband is a big guy (250ish) and they had a big enough tube for him.

Sherry - How was it that you tipped? Rapids, rocks, etc... Were there a lot of rapids or more floating? Did you encounter a lot of large rocks in the river that you had to avoid? Thanks for any info.

I did the tubing with Sherry Baby on Jan 22, so I'll answer your questions. We had 5 in our group, but they told me that sometimes they have as many as 20 in a group. They add more safety guys as the numbers go higher. Antours did an excellent, professional job of taking care of us, start to finish.

The water level was up a bit on our day, and they told us, it sometimes takes 1 1/2 hours to float down the river, other times, when the water is high, it might be as short at 45 minutes. We had some pretty substantial rapids, and a couple of people got bounced out (you have handles to hold on to). There are big boulders, but you are seated with your butt in the donut hole, so you bounce off the rocks with no injuries. Sometimes you might get stuck between two rocks, and a rescuer would come and get you started again without you having to do anything, except relax and have fun! While some rapids were substantial, they would gather the group before each set of rapids, and then be ready to assist. The water was not deep and you could probably stand in most areas. The one deep area, they warned us and asked our swimming ability, but there were no mishaps there.

It was a great excursion, well run, and totally different from anything else I did in the Caribbean. I thought it was really fun, and if I return there I'd definitely do it again. The emerald pool was beautiful too, but I have a bad knee and the uneven stairs and slippery rocks made that trek a little challenging to me. I had no trouble with the river tubing, tho!

I have done some white water rafting and this was a bit tamer, but still very fun! You don't have to work so hard here, they just told us to lay back and have fun. They provide all safety equipment, (helmets and vests) but you need some kind of water shoe. The guides were awesome! I recommend them wholeheartedly!

I just returned from my cruise and did the tubing with Antours last Tuesday, Feb. 8th. Let me tell you - it was awesome! I've gone tubing before but this was the best time I've every had. There were some serious rapids, and I did get tossed out of my tube a few times. The guys were fantastic at helping me get back into the tube, and basically not drowning!

We kept everything in the van and had no worries about our bags being safe. I would definitely recommend not wearing any jewelry, including a watch. Mine got a bit scraped up on the rocks when I popped out of the tube one time.

I want to go back to Dominica just to go tubing again!

WE have donewhite water rafting in costa rica too and loved it. We have done tubing in Jamaica which was fun but pretty tame. Now that we have done both we wanted to know if it is worthwhile to do this tubing? How would it compare? WE like to do active things and not just tour and look at things.

Is this active enough? People on here all say it was wonderful, fantastic....and I mean no disrespect in saying this, but how active are you and what do you want from a tour? A calm ride down a lazy river is not fun for us.

Hi Cam! I've also done white water rafting in Costa Rica and the tubing in Jamaica (which is a snoozefest in comparison to Antours). As I mentioned - I did get tossed out of my tube a few times because there were some nice rapids - I still have a few bruises on my legs from bumping the rocks. I've tried to find a couple of photos that may give you an idea of how quick the water flows in some places. I really think you will enjoy it, especially if you liked rafting in CR.

Tubing.jpg

Tubing2.jpg

Thanks Andrea and I value your opinion since you seem to understand the differences in tubing in other areas and our experience in CR.

Would you suggest Kayaking river to ocean in Dominica .... how does this compare to tubing?

You used Antours and was wondering if you added on anything more to the tubing? I read you can do the Emerald Pool or Champagne Reef.

Hi Cam - not sure about the kayaking. I'll admit - that seems like it might be too much work on my part!

I did add the Emerald Pool onto my tour. We did it first and I really enjoyed it. It was about a 15 minute walk to the pool, and there were only a couple of us that actually went into the water. I'm of the mind that if I'm there - I might as well try it! It was actually really refreshing. Here are a couple of photos.

EmeraldFalls.jpg

EmeraldFalls-2.jpg

After the tubing a few people went snorkeling to Champagne Reef, so there is time for everything. I passed on the snorkeling since I was pretty tired from being bounced down the river!

Thanks. I already contacted him and he is available. The tubing itself is 2 hours for 40$ but adding the Emerald Pool and Mr Nice Fruit Stand will add only $7 pp more but increase the tour to 5 hours....which will give us more time to see more of the island. SO we opted for this. To add on Champagne Reef to this was another 20$ pp which I do not think is worth it at this point.

The best of best snorkeling we did was just a few months ago in Roatan. We went to West Bay and on the left of tabyanna beach are rock formations...CORAL! And all over the shallow areas are gardens of coral within arms reach( OHHH DO NOT TOUCH!)...

Very different to see this right there in shallow waters vs deeper water and viewing from way above.

So we are set for DOminica, and I thank you so very much for the info and the pictures.

Did you encounter any snakes or anything else to warn me about now pls!

Oh wow your snorkeling in Roatan sounds fabulous! I was just there too but opted for ziplining since I'd never done it before. Now I'm going to have to go back to snorkel!

No snakes, but I would recommend some bug spray. I didn't have a problem on the way to the Emerald Pool but there were some little mosquitos (or something) while we were waiting by the river to start our tubing.

So your cruise departs on 3/24? Hope you check back in and let me know how you like the tubing. Have a great trip!

Hi Cam! I've also done white water rafting in Costa Rica and the tubing in Jamaica (which is a snoozefest in comparison to Antours). As I mentioned - I did get tossed out of my tube a few times because there were some nice rapids - I still have a few bruises on my legs from bumping the rocks. I've tried to find a couple of photos that may give you an idea of how quick the water flows in some places. I really think you will enjoy it, especially if you liked rafting in CR.

Love your pictures! Not sure my turned out that well.

I got a huge bruise on my knee from getting thrown out!! But we had a great time.

The only thing I would mention is that there is no changing area or bathrooms. Our guide kept trying to get us to go to the Emerald Pool but after tubing, we were soaking wet and the last thing we wanted to do was go anywhere!

I did check into the Wacky Rollers tour that is offered through the cruiseline and the excursion desk told me that there are changing rooms and lockers there. If we had known this, we might have chosen to go with that tour.

The Antours did a great job and the guides taking us down were very helpful. The only thing I wish we had known that there were no facilities!

DW & I had an unpleasant experience w/ Antours that I'd like to share. we booked a tour of Emerald pool, Mr. Nice, Botanical Gardens, & Morne Bruce. Was suppose to be a 4 hr tour.

Their van had seats with very little leg room, we sat in the front row next to the driver / guide (no microphone) and he spoke so soft we couldn't hear what he was saying & when we did he was very hard to understand. (I'm sure nobody in our van could hear him) When we asked questions he just didn't answer. (hard questions like how big the island was. length & width)

They put us on the same van as 2 couples going tubing tour. They went to our stops at Emerald pool & Mr Nice (waste of our time), then we dropped the others off for tubing. and he just drove around while they did their thing.

Then he drove back to the Botanical Gardens for a "drive thru". We had little / no idea what we were looking at.

This was about 5 hr already, so we ALL requested to go back to the ship. I think the people who went tubing had a good time, but we didn't. I understand that they want to combine groups, but it just didn't work for us.

Please beware, as this is something many tour groups try to do.

Neither of us remember the guide's name was, but he was BAD. (compared to some excellent guides on other islands)

As a tubing tour they looked prepared and good. (1 guide in front another in the back) but as a General tour I would not recommend them.

Good luck Terry & Jean

DW & I had an unpleasant experience w/ Antours that I'd like to share. we booked a tour of Emerald pool, Mr. Nice, Botanical Gardens, & Morne Bruce. Was suppose to be a 4 hr tour.

Their van had seats with very little leg room, we sat in the front row next to the driver / guide (no microphone) and he spoke so soft we couldn't hear what he was saying & when we did he was very hard to understand. (I'm sure nobody in our van could hear him) When we asked questions he just didn't answer. (hard questions like how big the island was. length & width)

They put us on the same van as 2 couples going tubing tour. They went to our stops at Emerald pool & Mr Nice (waste of our time), then we dropped the others off for tubing. and he just drove around while they did their thing.

Then he drove back to the Botanical Gardens for a "drive thru". We had little / no idea what we were looking at.

This was about 5 hr already, so we ALL requested to go back to the ship. I think the people who went tubing had a good time, but we didn't. I understand that they want to combine groups, but it just didn't work for us.

Neither of us remember the guide's name was, but he was BAD. (compared to some excellent guides on other islands)

As a tubing tour they looked prepared and good. (1 guide in front another in the back) but as a General tour I would not recommend them.

Good luck Terry & Jean

WOW, this is the first negative review I have ever read about Antours in a couple of years. I hope that driver is on vacation next week when we're there. But we're doing the tubing, so maybe not a problem.

Again, what do people do for towels...take the ship towels on the excursion?

I understand that they want to combine groups, but it just didn't work for us.

Good luck Terry & Jean

That is really strange as we waited with another family that was going tubing and they had us each take separate drivers to the tubing. We could not figure out why!

The tubing tour had 3 guides and they said that the 4th guy had actually not showed up so normally they have 4 guides taking you down the river.

Good luck Terry & Jean

As I've said, I had a great time on the river tubing with them, but to support what you said, there was a couple with our group of 5 that did not plan to river tube. They went with us to the Emerald Pool, we stopped at Mr. Nice fruit, which was closed, then on to river tubing. We kept asking this one couple what they were going to do while we tubed, and they said they'd signed up for an island tour. Although they were extremely nice, there didn't seem to be a concrete plan for what to do with them, while we spent an hour and a half tubing. We asked them when we got back to the van, and they said they'd been "driven to some town", and I would guess they were disappointed with their day. So, if you are going with them, I'd say do the river tour, or choose a different vendor. Yes, we took towels with us, and don't forget water shoes. You need them, or something like a Tiva Sandle, not a flipflop.

• 2 weeks later...

We used them about a year ago and loved the experience. I felt that all my belongings were always safe with them. The tour itself is a blast and the the guides are great fun.

Enjoy!

Good luck Terry & Jean

This sounds almost identical to our Antours experience. There were six of us on the tour, two of which did not sign up for tubing. But they were good sports and went along to the tubing site with us. They stayed with the van and even took pictures of the the four of us doing the tubing,

Your description of the van and driver exactly mirrors our experience. Not too impressed with the van or the driver. On the other hand, the tubing was AWESOME!!! It was the highlight of our entire trip. The guys who go with you down the river are tremendous, as they are right there to rescue you if you get stuck or fall out of the tube. I said I would love to have their job, being able to tube that river all day long. I wrote a rather lengthy trip report of our 2/27 cruise on the Royal Caribbean page with further descriptions of our day in Dominica.

Archived