Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

tophatgirl: First - WELCOME to CCF! On this thread we love to hear ideas that work, but we're also ready & willing to help and support soon-to-be-cruisers:cool:.

I agree w/ the shorts, tops, swimsuits. For me casual dinners are perfect for sundresses - easy to pack, too. My formal night dresses are short and lightweight so 2 don't take up much valuable luggage space. DH takes 2 pairs of long pants, several Hawaiian shirts, shorts, a couple golf or T-shirts and he claims 2 swimsuits are plenty for him...

Hamper?? We use one of the large suitcases, standing on it's wheels, partially unzipped. (The other large suitcase holds the rest of our clothes.)

I TOTALLY agree that an over the door shoe holder is one of the best organizational items to take! Look at the photo below...before the shoe holder, all those shoes were thrown in the closet and under the tiny table!

232323232%7Ffp9%3A6%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3349487%3A67335nu0mrj

Edited by indiana71

tophatgirl: First - WELCOME to CCF! On this thread we love to hear ideas that work, but we're also ready & willing to help and support soon-to-be-cruisers:cool:.

I agree w/ the shorts, tops, swimsuits. For me casual dinners are perfect for sundresses - easy to pack, too. My formal night dresses are short and lightweight so 2 don't take up much valuable luggage space. DH takes 2 pairs of long pants, several Hawaiian shirts, shorts, a couple golf or T-shirts and he claims 2 swimsuits are plenty for him...

Hamper?? We use one of the large suitcases, standing on it's wheels, partially unzipped. (The other large suitcase holds the rest of our clothes.)

I TOTALLY agree that an over the door shoe holder is one of the best organizational items to take! Look at the photo below...before the shoe holder, all those shoes were thrown in the closet and under the tiny table!

232323232%7Ffp9%3A6%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3349487%3A67335nu0mrj

Wow, that's the first time I've actually seen someone use the over door shoe holder for shoes! What a novel idea!:p We use that one for sunscreen, sunglasses, meds, camera equipment, cell phones, etc. We use one like this in the closet for our shoes. It also keeps our clothes separated. I know, I'm a little ocd in the closet.:rolleyes: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JTDX4W/ref=asc_df_B000JTDX4W1739636?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=nextagus0068234-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B000JTDX4W

I love following this thread! :D

5326jan: More than one shoe holder - what a great idea:)! Using a 2nd one for things other than shoes is thinking outside the box (no pun intended;)).

We always have room in those little shelf areas around the"desk" for sunscreen, etc. But I would never discourage anyone from having an organized closet!!

Wow, that's the first time I've actually seen someone use the over door shoe holder for shoes! What a novel idea!:p We use that one for sunscreen, sunglasses, meds, camera equipment, cell phones, etc. We use one like this in the closet for our shoes. It also keeps our clothes separated. I know, I'm a little ocd in the closet.:rolleyes: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JTDX4W/ref=asc_df_B000JTDX4W1739636?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=nextagus0068234-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B000JTDX4W

I love following this thread! :D

I also use 2. One on the inside of the bathroom door, and one on the outside. The one on the inside holds all the things you would normally have on the bathroom counter and assorted hair things...the outside holds a few pairs of shoes plus sunscreen, sunglasses, etc. that would clutter the desk area.

i always have the shoe holder and then like a half one for all the incidentals-inside and outside of bathroom door but the shoes are on the floor in the closet...but if i had room i probably would bring for the shoes too.

have been rethinking my Port days for my B2B and actually might wear things twice something that i dont do and out of my "comfort" zone, but will see if it works for this cruise coming up.

I also lay everything out in one of our spare bedrooms and every single outfit is planned down to the exact detail.

Same for toiletries and all the other things I need.

Thank goodness for spreadsheets too! In fact I think it is time to have a look again with only 8 days to go!

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

I agree with everything you said except the over the door shoe holder...it takes up very little suitcase space. I usually pack mine in the outside zipper on my suitcase...and it helps ALOT in keeping toiletries and small items organized in the bathroom where there is VERY limited space.

We used to take the shoe holder when we cruised with our kids in the same cabin. But never once used it for toiletries, just incidentals that would clutter the cabin, including shoes. It just doesn't fit on the inside of the bathroom door, we'd rather use the robe hooks for our robes. It did come in handy at that time, but this was long before luggage limitations and bag fees. Now every ounce counts.

Once we started booking the kids their own cabin, no need for the shoe holder as there is plenty of storage space in the bathroom, at least I find there is. We even have empty shelves. I don't keep my hair stuff in the bathroom.

The more we travel the more we try to streamline and only take the bare essentials. No extras.

CELTICGIRLCRUISER: I am so-o-o envious that you are almost ready to cruise:cool:...especially after yesterday here in western PA, where I shoveled snow:eek:!

At the 2-weeks-before mark, I do a final spreadsheet check and start the packing process. Sounds like you are a dedicated CCF, too!

Happy ks: There seem to be 2 distinct philosophies when it comes to packing. Whichever one works is the way to go.

You are one of the "streamline and take the bare essentials" group; and there are many. You're much more comfortable traveling with less "stuff".

And then there are those of us who want to take the things that we don't always have time for at home. We plan each outfit down to the last detail and take the cosmetics we don't have time to use daily (or a place to go).

Looking nice, feeling confident, and being comfortable are the priorities of both philosophies. And in the end, that's what matters.

LET's Take A Poll: Are you a "Streamlined Bare Essentials CCF" or an "Outfits Aplenty CCF"?

I can't say I'm streamlined, because I take what I need and that's plenty :) My hair/makeup/toiletry kit is 30 items long, all travel sized of course.

I have found, though, that taking extras along that you don't have time for at home? You will have less time for that stuff on a cruise. Too busy going on excursions, getting ready for dinner, relaxing on the balcony, etc...

I plan outfits as well, I just don't plan as many as others do. No one but you is going to know you're wearing the same clothes twice. People are too involved with themselves to pay much attention. We all notice the eye catching (both good and bad), but how many average people have you noticed wearing the same black pants 3 times on a ship?

While we're on the streamlined discussion, I find it helps to hang accessories right with the outfits (as long as it is costume jewelry). This saves me time when getting dressed, I don't have to go through the jewelry bag and try to remember what I brought for that outfit. I have little drawstring bags, but ziplocs work well too.

You are right, though, there still are plenty of people who overpack, take a dozen pair of shoes for 7 days and full sized toiletries. I was once one of those style packers, I just got weary of all the organizing and repacking, not to mention the extra money spent on clothes never worn. I gave away to Goodwill a pile of "cruise clothes" years ago, stuff I wouldn't wear at home and stuff never worn on the cruise, since I took so much. Never again, I take what I already have and when I shop I'm careful not to purchase things that I won't wear a lot.

When we pack to go home, everything is dirty, we don't have to sort. I don't get mad at myself if I take things not worn, it just seems like such a waste of space and weight. I don't mind paying $25 or so for laundry/dry cleaning for the week, but I don't like paying $30 each way for overweight luggage fees.

My packing philosophy has become...if I didn't think of it myself I can go a week without that item.

Edited by Happy ks

LET's Take A Poll: Are you a "Streamlined Bare Essentials CCF" or an "Outfits Aplenty CCF"?

I am an "Outfits Aplenty CCF". I will say tho that I have streamlined it down severly from a few years ago. I never used to plan out my outfits like I do now and I would have never used travel paks before, I guess because I never knew about them, and I would have never used the travel sized toiletries, but i do now on some of the items I take.

Over the years I have changed a lot of my thoughts on what has to be taken and what doesn't, but in saying that I also don't have kids at home anymore so we have gone from a 10-12 bag family to a 3-4 bag family.

I now plan every outfit out and yes I do even rewear shorts and pants, but I also do that at home, never rewear shirts or blouses.

I also will never leave home with out a first aid kit. I used to carry a small one in our cruise stuff now I carry a fairly extensive one in a cosmetic bag after last years cruise when my DH fell into a 7ft. hole backwards and got cut up so bad.

I didn't mind paying the drs. onboard the inital cost for a checkup to besure he hadn't broken any bones, but I didn't like paying $100.00 everyday to have the bandages changed until we got to port and I was able to go buy guaze pads and tape and neosporin to dress the wounds myself.

Many of he things I take all the time in my cruise extras are because over the years of traveling (and that is many) we have found them to be necessities with or without kids or grandkids.

When you get as old as I am you do what makes you comfortable and if taking Christmas decorations and extra clothes, wether you wear them or not or taking a lot less and a more streamlined approach, makes you comfortable then "So Be It." To each his own.

I just like learning about some ways to make it easier to pack and I have learned soooooo much from this forum and hope it goes for along time and maybe I will even be able to give some helpful tips from what I have learned from all the moving and traveling we have done in the last 35 years.

My husband spent 20 years in the Military and we moved about every 11/2-2 years all over this small world, and we did this with 6 kids, so we have learned from some of the experiences.

I just thank Indiana for starting this thread and to everyone else who has posted on it with their ideas and helps. You are all truly fashionistas!!!!!:)

Edited by TNGALOHA

I am sailing Celebrity S class. I believe there are only pocket doors, so no over the door hangers for me. I am bringing a pop up hamper for convenience.

OK - here is what I have so far...

Me:

1 silk dress - formal night

1 grey/burgandy dress - formal night

1 pair black ankle dress pants

1 pair cropped white jeans

2-3 dressy tops

1 green silk top for Xmas family pic

1 sundress for cover up or whatever

4 pairs shorts

few tanks/tees

1 pair dressy black shoes

1 pair flip flops

1 pair brown sandals (no flip flops in MDR)

1 pair silver cut out ballet shoes

some other pair of shoes for other dress, haven't decided. I am trying to find a cute black dress to limit another pair of shoes. This is easily an excuse to shop somemore.

2 swimsuits

1 black cardigan

DD5

5 shorts/shirt combos

2 swim suits

2 sundresses

1 red velvet dress for Xmas family pic - formal night

1 sparkly sweater and satin skirt - formal night

1 dress - more dressy than sundress

2 sandals

1 flip flop

1 sparkly ballet shoes

DH

2 polos

1 blue button down

1 khaki pant

1 grey sport coat - formal night

1 white button down - formal night

2 ties - formal nights

1 black slack

2 shorts

tees

1 pair swim trunks

1 pair brown dress shoes

1 pair black dress shoes

1 pair Columbia low hikers for everyday

What do you wear on embarkion day? Miami in December - 70's? How long until it is hot enough to wear shorts?

Sara

PS post thoughts please!!

TNGALOHA: Thank you for the kind words! I plan to keep posting on this thread as long as there is activity:)!! You have passed along some great suggestions. EVERY idea is valuable and helps us pack smarter.

tophatgirl: Looks like you've planned outfits very well. If you find that LBD, it will be a standard in your "Cruise Closet"!

The only category missing on your list is accessories, jewelry.

DD5 will look adorable for the family photo

DH: I could copy that list for my DH! Guys are so-o-o easy. And yet, their shorts, shirts, polos are all different and they always look very presentable.

They don't need to choose between skirt/top, sundress, pants, Capris, etc.

FROM "Real Simple" magazine, November 2011:

Some great info on "how to put it all together":

~ Mask Unfortunate Details Creatively: Swap a chintzy sash w/ a nice leather belt. Cover an elastic waist w/ a long tunic.

~ Think Like a Stylist: (I love this one!) The reason everything looks cooler in magazines is because stylists layer to add depth to basics. Try a blazer (or jacket) over a cardigan w/ a cami underneath.

Note: The idea of layering is good for CCFs who are cool in the dining room & need a cover-up, but warm up quickly on the dance floor. And if we need to layer for a chilly SailAway, those under layers can be worn again when the weather is more to our liking:cool:!

~ ADD One More Accessory: Contrary to the old adage, moderation in accessorizing can read as mediocre. Go for the extra bangle!

We are going to a formal multi-course Wine Dinner. I'm wearing the dress from Las Vegas (the red/pink print mock-wrap w/ 3/4 length sleeves), black jewelry and my favorite Cole Hahn black peep-toe heels.

I haven't worn pantyhose in several years...but several recent catalogs have shown black pantyhose (not tights) w/ dressy dresses.

Do you wear pantyhose (colored or not) in colder weather? IMHO It isn't even a consideration when cruising in the tropical climates. You cruisers to colder places, do you wear pantyhose with dresses/skirts?

We are going to a formal multi-course Wine Dinner. I'm wearing the dress from Las Vegas (the red/pink print mock-wrap w/ 3/4 length sleeves), black jewelry and my favorite Cole Hahn black peep-toe heels.

I haven't worn pantyhose in several years...but several recent catalogs have shown black pantyhose (not tights) w/ dressy dresses.

Do you wear pantyhose (colored or not) in colder weather? IMHO It isn't even a consideration when cruising in the tropical climates. You cruisers to colder places, do you wear pantyhose with dresses/skirts?

Following up on the idea of pantyhose being out of place on a tropical cruise, what other items of clothing seem out of place on a cruise ship?

Imho, I don't think jeans look right. Too heavy and bulky. Nor am I a fan of Speedo swimsuits on men. I don't care if you're Charles Atlas, it's just too much "information." :eek: And if you're not built like Charles Atlas, well, then, it's just not a good look at all. Oxford shoes on deck with socks and shorts seem out of place also.

Any other nominations? Just trying to be helpful, not hurtful.

My advice for a woman is to never wear a mans cut T shirt. From a distance you can hardly tell if it is a man or woman when the person is in a rectangular cut T shirt. Of course, this is coming from a person who detests T shirts worn by anyone so I am a bit biased...especially cutesy souvenir T shirts.

Don't let your man walk out the door with a tropical shirt tucked in to his trousers. A tropical shirt is meant for relaxation and a tucked in tropical shirt is a sign that he is uptight...not what you want to be on vacation :)

With the exception of formal nights, have your man leave his socks at home.

I am one of the offenders when it comes to Pantyhose on a cruise. But in my defense I wear them because I basically have to for medical reasons. I also wear short socks with my daily sandals for the same reason. I hate getting old soemtimes because I would love to be able to dress to the nines and not have to wear these stupid support pantyhose.

Hi ladies!

Just caught up with the most recent postings - thanks to all for the great tips!

We leave 2 wks 2moro so off to check my lists & do some ironing....

European airlines not as generous as US so 2 check-in bags, 2 carry-ons + large handbag(purse) that will take travel documents & jewellery when boarding. DH will have small computer bag with camera etc.

I always pack changes in the carry-ons & mix my & DH between cases after our first trip to FL many years ago when his case went to Barbados!!!

No time to make garment bags for this trip but will use Ikea ones instead :-)

Trying hard NOT to overpack so wish me luck!!!!

Aileen (in Spain too, Sandy)

Hi ladies! snip....

Aileen (in Spain too, Sandy)

Hi Aileen

We´ve got to wait til next Feb for our next cruise, as this year it was a new car instead of a cruise:-(

We´re in Almeria as well, in a small village just north of Almeria city. I see you´re near Antas, we were there just a week or so ago to see the auction...so NOT worth it, stopped at El Millendurio for lunch, then popped down to Iceland in Vera...that was a BIG mistake. OH wants to go back for more tins of Quality Street!!!

Have a super cruise, perhaps we can catch up one day

Sandy in Spain

Edited by t60

I'm lovin' all the comments on What Not to Take:cool:. If it were up to all fashionistas, cruisers would be the best dressed travelers - lookin' good, appropriate to the climate AND comfortable!

Happyks: I'm w/ you RE souvenir Tshirts + oversize. There are so many nice knit tops that flatter. Why would anyone chose something with no shape and not flattering:eek:.

THGALOHA: Medical issues trump all fashion rules. You travel and continue to be active AND want to look good - cudos to you!!

Formal Night Dinner on Land, not at Sea: DH & I attended a Formal Wine Dinner Saturday night. The style of dress was very similar to Formal Night - some of the men were in tuxes, most were in dark suits, a few in sport coats and open shirts.

The women looked so nice! One had a strapless chocolate brown satin dress and to-the-elbow matching gloves - very interesting.

Several one-shoulder dresses, most had on LBDs. Only 1 older lady had dressy pants and a festive top.

I wore black pantyhose w/ my dress from Las Vegas (Joseph Ribkoff raspberry and black print; black heels). There were a few others in color prints.

The dinner was devine (but that's another blog subject!). So nice to get dressed up and have a night out with friends!

I'll add to that: never let a man wear a fannypack. It's the death of all masculinity.

My advice for a woman is to never wear a mans cut T shirt. From a distance you can hardly tell if it is a man or woman when the person is in a rectangular cut T shirt. Of course, this is coming from a person who detests T shirts worn by anyone so I am a bit biased...especially cutesy souvenir T shirts.

Don't let your man walk out the door with a tropical shirt tucked in to his trousers. A tropical shirt is meant for relaxation and a tucked in tropical shirt is a sign that he is uptight...not what you want to be on vacation :)

With the exception of formal nights, have your man leave his socks at home.

Sandy, Hola! What a bonus meeting a 'neighbour' on CC :-) Definitely must meet up. I didn't know there was a auction but we do eat in El Millandurio - great value! Strangely enough we were in Almeria for the wk end a couple of weeks ago .... small world :-)

Ladies, sorry, but I hate bumbags (fannypacks) .... why would I ever want to add any bulk round my middle < lol> Do appreciate you can be hands free but just mho ;-)

If I criticise my DHs choice of attire he always asks 'why? Are the Fashion Police doing an inspection?' In future I'll just threaten him with my 'Fashionista Friends' ;-)

Ran out of steam (literally) on the ironing yesterday & it's far too nice a day to continue now ...... at least I can say officially 'Manana' as is the custom here ;-)

Aileen

I completely agree w/ the Fanny Packs remarks! Why would we want to add any bulk to our middle???:eek: There are crossbody handbags that elongate the body and are way more stylish!

Guys don't have issues w/ What Jewelry, What Shoes, etc. Go w/ This, so they can wear outfits that don't take much effort to put together...sometimes, though, they need a little encouragement or tactful suggestions. I.E. - my DH chose pants, shirt, sportcoat for the Formal Dinner last weekend...and it was my FAVORITE! I praised him profusely:). He might have preferred the khaki Dockers and a ho-hum brown jacket, but he knew he looked classier in the black.

Most of our DHs do okay most of the time...and we will continue to compliment when they look good. AND DH often compliments me, too!:)

alimarsh and t60: Love your posts from Spain! How do the women dress there?

Edited by indiana71

Indiana: I have not been on this thread for a long time, and it is good to see that you are still contributing to a "fun to read" topic. You have really inspired me in my packing for our Bermuda trip. If you remember me(?-April, EOS), I am going to Bermuda with my girlfriends this Sat.- 5 nights again on the EOS. I've done the spread sheet for all clothes and jewelry-I think it really did help me to cut down on packing! Did have to put in a few extra tops in case it is cooler than expected in Bermuda this time of year. My friend Trudy is also trying the spread sheet- what a challenge for her! She is packing her jewelry in snack bags, marked by days. She said it really helped her to organize! I learned that tip here.

Pantyhose: hate it. So I will not be wearing it on our cruise. I'm hoping since it will be too cool for outside activities, I will be inside most nights. I am also taking cruise wear, just like I would for the Caribbean, even though our sailing days will be cool (or cold). Is this the right idea? Anyone else done a fall cruise in cool weather?

My DH has hairy shoulders and loves to wear tank tops ewww:eek: This cruise I told him no tanks unless he gets waxed or lazered first. I think men with tons of hair shouldn't wear tank tops.

On the nylon debate I am 61 my legs are veined and not pretty anymore. I do wear nylons to look more finished. Back a few years ago I wouldn't have even considered wearing nylons but time moves on, legs look old and men get hairy:D

Kris