Cruise journalist (& CC member IIRC) Steve Read passes away at 54

Goldryder

I am very sad to read this. Steve was a great cruise journalist and a funny gent. He will be greatly missed.

I remember meeting him for the first time after we had been emailing for some time...big hugs and lots of laughter that day.

Steve was indeed a member here on CC.

Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

You're welcome Liz....

Only wish I could have given you & CC better news. He was so respected by his piers and he had a huge following too...all of whom have been left devastated by his untimely and premature death. According to a close friend of mine who is also a cruise journalist, Steve was discovered by police who had been requested to break into his home after no contact had been heard from him for a few days.

Although I had never spoken to him 'in person' he always came across as someone very knowledgeable and someone never afraid to take on the contentious subjects in the cruise industry. His wit, charm and basic 'call a spade, a spade' attitude will certainly be greatly missed across the cruise industry and everyone involved around it.

Steve's death was an awful shock. I was woken up with the news yesterday. He'd been quiet since Saturday afternoon which wasn't like him. Posting messages on his site is an excellent idea but it's partially moderated. I've done some in the past (including last night) yet for some reason couldn't today whereas others had no problem. Perhaps my ip slightly changed or something. Very frustrating. I did enjoy Captain Greybeard's piece. He thinks it's inadequate but I disagree. It's hard to think of the right words at times. I did my own http://linerlovers.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/steve-read/ but it took hours and I hadn't known Steve anywhere near as long as the Captain. Steve will be greatly missed by us all.

Steve recently moved to the New Forest, his family are still in Nuneaton and the local newspaper has released the funeral arrangements in Nuneaton along with personal thoughts from Steve's brother, Phil...

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/2011/02/11/nuneaton-journalist-steve-read-found-dead-at-54-92746-28155739/

From what is said, it does appear that Steve suffered a heart attack whilst reading a book. A neighbour alerted the police, who then broke into his home.

Steve recently moved to the New Forest, his family are still in Nuneaton and the local newspaper has released the funeral arrangements in Nuneaton along with personal thoughts from Steve's brother, Phil...

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/2011/02/11/nuneaton-journalist-steve-read-found-dead-at-54-92746-28155739/

From what is said, it does appear that Steve suffered a heart attack whilst reading a book. A neighbour alerted the police, who then broke into his home.

Yes, he moved from Kent to Lyndhurst and was just a month shy of his birthday when he died.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Steve's funeral yesterday, which was packed - standing room only at the back. It was a brief but very moving ceremony. Music included 'Sailing'; 'A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square' (one of his cocktail hour favourites), 'My Way' and 'Beyond the Sea'. All very fitting choices. I hope he knows how many people cared about him. He'll be deeply missed.

Sue

Nice to meet you yesterday, Sue, albeit under such sad circumstances. Steve's mum was incredibly touched by the people who travelled to say goodbye. My heart went out to her yesterday. When I said goodbye to return to the hotel, she was fighting back the tears as she spoke to people. I hope she had a good cry afterwards. It was a very moving and fitting send off to a wonderful man. "Sailing" certainly raised a smile as you walked into that beautiful chapel. Hard to believe there's ships to have keels laid, be floated out, named and sailed on, not to mention all that news and he won't be part of it any more.

I remember Steve ringing me one time after i had E mailed him about some information on cruising,he gave me some great info and told me how he had got into cruising and writing about it.

Having followed his exploits at skytravel and on his New site it is like having an arm cut off knowing that he is no longer sat at his keyboard giving All of us cruise addicts the latest info on what is happening in the world of cruising.

We will all miss you Steve R.I.P.

Sidari, you're right. Although my dad only met him once, he was upset by his death. Several people I know on Facebook only learned of Steve through me after the 6 ships videos (mine and Steve's, though Steve used my fireworks footage as well as photos) and became fans of his. So many of the mourners were people he knew from school and stayed in touch with. How many of us can say that? Not me, that's for sure. He was a truly lovely man and is sorely missed.

A couple of nice write-ups about Steve Read here...one from his colleagues at the SUN and the other covering his funeral...

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=46695

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/2011/02/23/funeral-of-nuneaton-journalist-steve-read-92746-28221763/

Certainly one very loved...and missed...man.

Archived